• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy has ec affecting bladder

Well, today is not a good start as Teddy has gone back to being wet again ... peeing a lot and leaving a damp patch where he sits.

After y/d this is so disheartening as he was (seemingly) in control and nice and dry.… what to do next? …

For reference, I think someone said there was a medication for incontinence which had helped their bunny?

And, to be honest, I have noticed him very subtly, shifting from back foot to back foot (like he did after (coincidentally) F10). It is hardly there, but being honest with myself, it is there at times.

Otherwise, he is a happy chappy ……

Well, today is not a good start as Teddy has gone back to being wet again ... peeing a lot and leaving a damp patch where he sits.

After y/d this is so disheartening as he was (seemingly) in control and nice and dry.… what to do next? …

For reference, I think someone said there was a medication for incontinence which had helped their bunny?

And, to be honest, I have noticed him very subtly, shifting from back foot to back foot (like he did after (coincidentally) F10). It is hardly there, but being honest with myself, it is there at times.

I haven't received your PM :? I received another email from you but there's no text in it !! Maybe the Gremlins are at work................:shock:

I am sorry that Teddy is all wet again. Is the drug you are thinking about 'Propalin'

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-459666

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/propalin-syrup-100ml.html

Hi Cara

Sorry to hear about Teddy :(

Several people on here have used Propalin syrup to help with incontinence. It's not without its side effects but can work very well.

Perhaps something to run by the vet?

Glad to hear he's still his happy self :)

I haven't received your PM :? I received another email from you but there's no text in it !! Maybe the Gremlins are at work................:shock:

I am sorry that Teddy is all wet again. Is the drug you are thinking about 'Propalin'

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/propalin-syrup-100ml.html

Sorry Jane, first chance to get back to you. The email: indeed a mystery! Will take a look later and see if its anything obvious.

I don't know if Propalin is the medicine - it was just something someone mentioned on the threads. I can see Propalin is very much for a specific issue, which I don't know whether Teddy has :?

He has had a reasonable day but hating the bum baths and baytril :(

Hi Cara

Sorry to hear about Teddy :(

Several people on here have used Propalin syrup to help with incontinence. It's not without its side effects but can work very well.

Perhaps something to run by the vet?

Glad to hear he's still his happy self :)

Yes, indeed .. it may well be something to discuss with the vet. I suspect it wont be something she has used in rabbits but she open to suggestions and will get a second opinion if necessary. The problem is we don't really know what is causing the problem.

Yes, indeed .. it may well be something to discuss with the vet. I suspect it wont be something she has used in rabbits but she open to suggestions and will get a second opinion if necessary. The problem is we don't really know what is causing the problem.

Yes, I was surprised how many vets have *not* used it in rabbits.

How's Teddy this evening?

Just had my last visit .. and it was uplifting - everything looks dry, and he was eager for his Panacur on Toast :love:

Such a small thing but I will sleep better with this image in my mind ... the upward trend may only be temporary, but god, its amazing how much better I feel at these moments!

Thanks ever so for asking. Goodnight :)

Just had my last visit .. and it was uplifting - everything looks dry, and he was eager for his Panacur on Toast :love:

Such a small thing but I will sleep better with this image in my mind ... the upward trend may only be temporary, but god, its amazing how much better I feel at these moments!

Thanks ever so for asking. Goodnight :)

Night Cara :love:

It's also good for Teddy to have such positive images from you, which I am sure he picks up on, rather than a worried image.

Sleep well xx

The generic name for Propalin is 'Phenylpropanolamine'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Phenylpropanolamine.htm.

Your Vet should have a copy of the BSVA Small Animal Formulary- Part B Exotic Pets

https://www.bsava.com/Shop/Veterinary-books#!prod/5d023226-3bd2-e411-aa17-000c29beef51/curr/GBP

There is reference (dose rates etc) to Phenylpropanolamine in there :)

Good morning …

Unfortunately, it's been a wet night, and that's not just the weather :(

I am managing his environment quite well, so on the whole that's not a problem. But I am struggling with Teddy himself. It will be late this evening (takes 2 of us to do it) before I can attempt to wash his rear-end and that worries me.

He was last washed yesterday afternoon and cream applied. His rear end, y/day, wasn't too bad, all things considered. Once again he seems well enough in himself.

Thanks Jane for all the links ... very useful. I picked this out 'For treatment of oestrogen-dependent urinary incontinence'. Does this mean just female bunnies? Although I also read it is for 'sphincter (sp?) issues', which I presume is muscle related in some way?'

Not knowing Teddys age, it is difficult to know how far to go, diagnostically. We have had a fair bit done. I also suspect is is far older than was thought when I rescued him. Certainly, he has aged in his mobility and behaviour. And I suspect his time might be further limited with all the issues we have :(

But, I do want to try anything we can to improve his incontinence. I can email my vet, so want to mention all the suggestions possible, including Propalin (if it's not just for females). Anything else I could suggest (sorry if it is something mentioned before, which I have forgotten)?

Thanks ever so for all support so far .. much appreciated :wave:

Good morning …

I am managing his environment quite well, so on the whole that's not a problem. But I am struggling with Teddy himself. It will be late this evening (takes 2 of us to do it) before I can attempt to wash his rear-end and that worries me.

He was last washed yesterday afternoon and cream applied. His rear end, y/day, wasn't too bad, all things considered. Once again he seems well enough in himself.

Thanks Jane for all the links ... very useful. I picked this out 'For treatment of oestrogen-dependent urinary incontinence'. Does this mean just female bunnies? Although I also read it is for 'sphincter (sp?) issues', which I presume is muscle related in some way?'

Propalin is not just for females, it can be prescribed for a Buck in some cases :)

Not knowing Teddys age, it is difficult to know how far to go, diagnostically. We have had a fair bit done. I also suspect is is far older than was thought when I rescued him. Certainly, he has aged in his mobility and behaviour. And I suspect his time might be further limited with all the issues we have :(

But, I do want to try anything we can to improve his incontinence. I can email my vet, so want to mention all the suggestions possible, including Propalin (if it's not just for females). Anything else I could suggest (sorry if it is something mentioned before, which I have forgotten)?

Thanks ever so for all support so far .. much appreciated :wave:

Propalin isn't just for females :wave:

Good morning …

Covering all bases with suggestions - I would get the vet to analyse another urine sample, and run a blood profile on Teddy.

It's all expense and stress of course, but you aren't getting to the root of the issue

Will respond properly later as rushing out to work, but just thought it might be worth adding that Teddy's tail is often flopped to the ground, rather than tucked up behind him?

That is a weakness I think, but does it have any implication in his issues?

So today has definitely been a better day for Teddy and therefore of course, for me! He has been relatively dry, yay!

We have bottom bathed him most nights (poor Teddy), really just a rinse with water but tonight I did get the rabbit shampoo out for the first time in a long time and a lashing of cream to follow :?

Today is Day 18 Panacur. Am I right in saying Day 20 should be a disinfecting day? Also, we have gradually restricted his access to the garden .. first the end of the garden and then the middle section, including the lawn. Again, am I right in saying that spores can live in grass for 28 days? Does this mean he should stay off the grass for 28 day? I feel so mean but if it is beneficial then I have to grit my teeth and do it.

Today was also the end of 7 days of Baytril. In fact, as I messed up one dose, he has had 6 1/2 doses. Now, I am wondering if Teddy's improvement could be due to (in addition to the Panacur) the Bayril? If so, is a 7 days enough? Should he have a longer course? If so, I would request extra tomorrow.

I know it is quite likely that I have not yet got to the bottom of the problem but today has been a marked improvement (he still has other issues) and I feel so uplifted :D From experience, it could all turn on its head tomorrow, but tonight, I shall enjoy a respite from the worst of it all nevertheless .....

I do hope it is equally positive in all your neck of the woods :)

Goodnight and thanks for all the advice as so much appreciated :wave:

Covering all bases with suggestions - I would get the vet to analyse another urine sample, and run a blood profile on Teddy.

It's all expense and stress of course, but you aren't getting to the root of the issue

Absolutely. You are so right.

Will check exactly when this was done and if necessary, get this done.

Back