• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy has ec affecting bladder

Likewise MightyMax ... several of us going through the mill with our bunnies sadly ...

How is your poorly bunny .. any progress?

I am going to start a thread on Propalin in male bunnies .. think I am going to need it :(

Likewise MightyMax ... several of us going through the mill with our bunnies sadly ...

How is your poorly bunny .. any progress?

I am going to start a thread on Propalin in male bunnies .. think I am going to need it :(

I hope you find someone who has lots of experience with propalin in male bunnies. I don't there's a lot of it about - but bunny babe might be able to help you?

I have used it - with patchy results, as Molly mentioned to you x

Generally no improvement in Teddy's incontinence :cry:

I imagine he must be feeling more comfortable with the increased pain relief though. Syringing is a mixed bag - last night I did rather well, this morning was stressful as I struggled to locate his mouth as he flinched .. a lot.

We are not getting on top of his urine scald and I don't know how to improve matters for both Teddy and to be honest, myself.

In addition, Teddy lives outside and I had a real panic attack about flystrike. But I really cannot see how Teddy's quality of life can be maintained, bringing him in permantly. From being a free range bunny, foraging, grazing, digging, exploring ... to a pent up bunny with none of the environment he is used to. I struggle to see a purpose to his life. And apart from that, in a practical sense, an indoor setup would be difficult and not at all practical for any length of time.

I considered rearguard, but it reading instructions, it needs to be applied to include the areas which are already sore, and I don't see how I can apply the stuff to those areas. I am keeping his environment as spotless as I can throughout the day.

I have messaged Bunny Babe re. The Propalin. Apart from a real lack of success stories, I can find very little on the actual dose so don't feel convinced on real life success in rabbits.

BUT in himself, he is very well, enthusiastally greeting me today. However, even that will wear off as he realises being around me, on occasions, means being scooped up and manhandled.

Sorry for sounding so very negative, but, and I know how much you understand :love: , at this moment I am feeling immensely worn down by his situation.

This evening had to wash Teddy off and apply cream ... he is so sore :( And the whole process is such an ordeal for him. And in fact, unusually, Ian was bitten 3 times.

The incontinence has not improved at all following his recent procedures. And I am now feeling real concern that this situation is not good enough for Teddy at all.

It's so difficult because on the other hand, the increased pain relief and Tramadol has I think, made a huge difference to Teddy in terms of bounce and enthusiasm. There is a marked difference.

But the urine scald is something else.

I can see what he is doing. He pees and his tail flops down into it. And he is peeing a lot once again. I cannot see a solution ....

I will try Propalin. It would be AMAZING!!!!!! if it worked. But, as far as I can tell, it has yet to prove itself in rabbits as the success stories are far and few between.

This evening had to wash Teddy off and apply cream ... he is so sore :( And the whole process is such an ordeal for him. And in fact, unusually, Ian was bitten 3 times.

The incontinence has not improved at all following his recent procedures. And I am now feeling real concern that this situation is not good enough for Teddy at all.

It's so difficult because on the other hand, the increased pain relief and Tramadol has I think, made a huge difference to Teddy in terms of bounce and enthusiasm. There is a marked difference.

But the urine scald is something else.

I can see what he is doing. He pees and his tail flops down into it. And he is peeing a lot once again. I cannot see a solution ....

I will try Propalin. It would be AMAZING!!!!!! if it worked. But, as far as I can tell, it has yet to prove itself in rabbits as the success stories are far and few between.

Hi Cara

I agree, Propalin has mixed reputation.
I have some things I wish to tell you, and I will reply to your PM in due course - thank you for that! :D

Really backwards step today. I have no idea why Teddy's condition should wax and wane the way it does.

A few really good dry days and we are back to square one today. A lot of peeing and sludge whilst being handled. And his urine scald is not good.

If Teddy sat in a corner depressed, it would be an easier decision to call it a day, but he is full of life. However, Ian is very worn down by the caring and I am feeling stressed with him as well as Teddy.

Tomorrow is another day and perhaps today was a blip but I don't know how long this can go on for.

I wonder, now could he have an infection? His urine was very pungent. He has recently had a course of baytril.

This is so hard.

So, after my very despondent update last night, I am pleased to report Teddy is much dryer today ... yay yay yay !!

And, I have successfully dispensed all of his medications (one dose Propalin and one combined Metacam/Tramadol) onto 2 small pieces of Weetabix.

However, this method (whilst success in getting him to eat it lasts), does entail an entire Weetabix over the day ... gulp! :oops: Is this okay? It is so much less stressful than having to syringe his meds :D

At least I am feeling a little respite for as long as it lasts :love:

I have been following Teddy's story, glad he has had a dry night and you are able to get his meds into him . I hope the dry days continue. My Oliver is a sludge bun and currently he is spotting alot and has had bladder / uti issues for several years now. Sending vibes for u and Teddy x

I have been following Teddy's story, glad he has had a dry night and you are able to get his meds into him . I hope the dry days continue. My Oliver is a sludge bun and currently he is spotting alot and has had bladder / uti issues for several years now. Sending vibes for u and Teddy x

Thanks nickybunny :wave:

Gosh, you have managed for several years! I am still wary of any long term prognosis with Teddy. I cannot get on top of his urine scald, although he seems to cope well himself. I think part of the problem is, I apply the cream (flamazine) and no matter what the distraction, he promptly and thoroughly grooms himself. :?

Bottom bathing is very stressful as well. Not at all easy, is it :cry:

Thanks nickybunny :wave:

Gosh, you have managed for several years! I am still wary of any long term prognosis with Teddy. I cannot get on top of his urine scald, although he seems to cope well himself. I think part of the problem is, I apply the cream (flamazine) and no matter what the distraction, he promptly and thoroughly grooms himself. :?

Bottom bathing is very stressful as well. Not at all easy, is it :cry:

It's very stressful :(

I was researching on your behalf, and came up with these links. I am sure it's nothing you haven't already seen and thought of, but just trying to help and console a little, if I can :)

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/urine-scald.html

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

http://rabbit.org/bladder-disease-and-bladder-stones-in-the-rabbit/

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/wet-tail-in-rabbits-urine-scalding/

Hugs Cara xxx

Cara, Oliver has been lucky as he doesn't or nevery has had urine scald and his near yearly flushes tend to sort him. Poor Teddy has things alot worse by the sounds of it the poor darling. I have had to bottom bathe at times too, it's not nice but not sure if you do this but I find I always tell my buns what u am about to do and why I am doing it and am sorry that it upsets them and I think it helps. They do understand. I can see how Teddy licking off the flamazine would be frustrating. But if he seems happy then thats good. Max has some great links . I can't remember if I read in your posts but you have tried vet bed?? Sorry of that's stating the obvious.

So, after my very despondent update last night, I am pleased to report Teddy is much dryer today ... yay yay yay !!

And, I have successfully dispensed all of his medications (one dose Propalin and one combined Metacam/Tramadol) onto 2 small pieces of Weetabix.

However, this method (whilst success in getting him to eat it lasts), does entail an entire Weetabix over the day ... gulp! :oops: Is this okay? It is so much less stressful than having to syringe his meds :D

At least I am feeling a little respite for as long as it lasts :love:

Hi Cara

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of Weetabix. Needs must in Teddy's case :)

I wondered whether your vet did acupuncture at all? My vet does, and I was discussing urinary incontinence a while ago with her (as one of my rabbits had this issue) and there's some good evidence that it may work.

http://rabbit.org/journal/4-2/acupuncture.html

Urinary incontinence can be the result of many problems. Several rabbits whose incontinence had no definable cause improved during treatment with needles. All needed maintenance therapy to prevent severe relapse, but their quality of life was greatly improved.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0254627213601090

Just a thought :wave:

......... by the way Yay for Ted today!!! :D

Back