• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy has ec affecting bladder

Teddy is still very much up and down.

Made an appointment yesterday and actually wondered if I should cancel, because he seemed quite well and dry. However, my vet is concerned that overall, we haven't made progress. Somewhere in the conversation, in my recollection of the consultation, I think I recall references to 'end of life' (though not explicitly). I was very despondent.

Her suggestion is that I take Teddy to see Molly Varga (Rutland House) for an expert consultation which I am very up for.

This morning has not been a good one. Teddy was wet and shifting a little, from foot to foot. But again, he was eager for the doors to be opened and to have breakfast. In himself, he is ok. But he does have the very awkward looking leg (which I had told the vet, but it must have been the first time she has seen it, as she exclaimed 'look at his leg' yesterday). Although the awkward leg is not apparent when he is on the move, it can sit awkwardly outside his body, if you like, when he is static.

I am monitoring Teddy, but his pee problem do seem to deteriorate overnight and then improves over the course of the day. I will see how he gets on today.

So all in all, not exactly brilliant.

MightyMax, how is your rabbit with the liver problem?

Hi Cara

I was thinking of you early this morning, and if you hadn't posted I was going to chivvy you for a Teddy update :)

Really pleased you are thinking of Molly for another opinion. The fact that he improves over the course of the day suggests to me that arthritis or some sort of spinal issue may be involved.

Thank you for asking about my bun. He's lost a shed load of weight and is very poorly still. Ongoing tests and I am managing the nursing care. You're kind to ask :love:

Hi Cara

I was thinking of you early this morning, and if you hadn't posted I was going to chivvy you for a Teddy update :)

Really pleased you are thinking of Molly for another opinion. The fact that he improves over the course of the day suggests to me that arthritis or some sort of spinal issue may be involved.

Thank you for asking about my bun. He's lost a shed load of weight and is very poorly still. Ongoing tests and I am managing the nursing care. You're kind to ask :love:

You have made me smile :D And 'Chivvy' is one of my words. That and 'snaffle' (remember from an earlier post?), somehow 2 great words!

Yes, I now cannot wait to get Teddy there. The drive will be very much out of my comfort zone ... not exactly the most confident driver, but will tackle that when it arises.

So sorry to hear about your rabbit. What is about rabbits eh? They sooooo get under our skins! But they can give us so much (unwanted) drama.

Our bank holiday getaway has been cancelled. In fact we have a caravan which is so under used ... we rarely get away in it each year, because even when Teddy has been well, I am reluctant to stress him with boarding!

At the moment I don't feel I could take the stress again of ever having another pet ... but hopefully, we will have more quality time with Teddy and when the time does come, it will feel 'natural' and not premature and I will be more accepting and ready to rescue another bunny :)

I do hope for a happy outcome on this one, for you and rabbit .. hope its a good day all round for all we bunny carers :wave:

Not been the best of days but this evening bathed Teddy and felt better myself than he is clean and that the nasty urine has been washed away.

Can really see that he is struggling with his back end and thinking one thing that hasn't been done is revisit his pain relief. He is currently on 0.8 ml Metacam (Cat) and he weighs around 2.6kg. Is this a low dose? Wondering how much it could be increased although I am aware that it is an issue with kidney problems.

Not been the best of days but this evening bathed Teddy and felt better myself than he is clean and that the nasty urine has been washed away.

Can really see that he is struggling with his back end and thinking one thing that hasn't been done is revisit his pain relief. He is currently on 0.8 ml Metacam (Cat) and he weighs around 2.6kg. Is this a low dose? Wondering how much it could be increased although I am aware that it is an issue with kidney problems.

I must say I have had rabbits who didn't get on with the level of pain relief provided by Metacam, and I asked for Tramdol. it seemed to work much better for pain relief

You have made me smile :D And 'Chivvy' is one of my words. That and 'snaffle' (remember from an earlier post?), somehow 2 great words!

Yes, I now cannot wait to get Teddy there. The drive will be very much out of my comfort zone ... not exactly the most confident driver, but will tackle that when it arises.

So sorry to hear about your rabbit. What is about rabbits eh? They sooooo get under our skins! But they can give us so much (unwanted) drama.

Our bank holiday getaway has been cancelled. In fact we have a caravan which is so under used ... we rarely get away in it each year, because even when Teddy has been well, I am reluctant to stress him with boarding!

At the moment I don't feel I could take the stress again of ever having another pet ... but hopefully, we will have more quality time with Teddy and when the time does come, it will feel 'natural' and not premature and I will be more accepting and ready to rescue another bunny :)

I do hope for a happy outcome on this one, for you and rabbit .. hope its a good day all round for all we bunny carers :wave:

I'm glad I made you smile :D

Chivvy and snaffle are two of my words as well :lol:

I am sorry your Bank Holiday plans have changed. I don't suppose he could come with you to the caravan either?

I must say I have had rabbits who didn't get on with the level of pain relief provided by Metacam, and I asked for Tramdol. it seemed to work much better for pain relief

Tramdol, something to query with Molly Varga then.

I have the referral, so will make appointment tomorrow. The thought of the unknown journey is paralysing me! Wish is was more local.

I'm glad I made you smile :D

Chivvy and snaffle are two of my words as well :lol:

I am sorry your Bank Holiday plans have changed. I don't suppose he could come with you to the caravan either?

I do know that a some people do take their rabbits with them, but somehow don't see it being beneficial to Teddy. I would love to have him with me though :love: (if he was happy).

Oh, and I might add that I have a final vision of Teddy last thing tonight, super enthusiastically snaffling on grass (the lawn type obviously :oops:).

Goodnight all :wave:

So, Teddy had a consultation with Molly Varga at Rutland House today.

As good as my vet is, I do think this consultation has gone up another level, which I am sure is the reason my vet referred Teddy to her.

Teddy obviously has, at the very least, arthritis, if not a spinal issue in addition to EC, which could be another reason for urine scald problems. Molly did broach doing a CT Scan, but at £450, without a lottery win, I am unable to easily do this.

Molly does think Teddy is incontinent in the true sense of the word unfortunately.

Teddy is staying there overnight :( and tomorrow he will have a G.A. and have his fur clipped again and his bladder flushed. It is also a good opportunity to look at the lump between his ears. (Gosh, am hoping that doesn't prove to be anything untoward :? as not something we have focused on).

Moving forward, his dose of metacam is being doubled! That was a surprise. .8ml twice a day and still leaving room for manoeuvre apparently. (Hope we are both on the same page as to the cat/dog version ... must check tomorrow) and additionally, we are trying Tramadol (MightyMax suggested that as well :wave:).

In reserve, and at Molly's suggestion, Propalin (sp?) for incontinence is apparently an option (another suggestion on these forums), although Molly feels the jury is still out as to the overall success in rabbits.

So, I feel very positive on the whole. I do think upping the pain relief will be beneficial.

Missing Teddy's presence, although reassured he is being looked after and in the right place for the moment :)

Last edited:
So, Teddy had a consultation with Molly Varga at Rutland House today.

As good as my vet is, I do think this consultation has gone up another level, which I am sure is the reason my vet referred Teddy to her.

Teddy obviously has, at the very least, arthritis, if not a spinal issue in addition to EC, which could be another reason for urine scald problems. Molly did broach doing a CT Scan, but at £450, without a lottery win, I am unable to easily do this.

Molly does think Teddy is incontinent in the true sense of the word unfortunately.

Teddy is staying there overnight :( and tomorrow he will have a G.A. and have his fur clipped again and his bladder flushed. It is also a good opportunity to look at the lump between his ears. (Gosh, am hoping that doesn't prove to be anything untoward :? as not something we have focused on).

Moving forward, his dose of metacam is being doubled! That was a surprise. .8ml twice a day and still leaving room for manoeuvre apparently. (Hope we are both on the same page as to the cat/dog version ... must check tomorrow) and additionally, we are trying Tramadol (MightyMax suggested that as well :wave:).

In reserve, and at Molly's suggestion, Propalin (sp?) for incontinence is apparently an option (another suggestion on these forums), although Molly feels the jury is still out as to the overall success in rabbits.

So, I feel very positive on the whole. I do think upping the pain relief will be beneficial.

Missing Teddy's presence, although reassured he is being looked after and in the right place for the moment :)

Oh Cara, you're looking after that little Ted till Kingdom Come! Bless him and also you for doing so much :love:

I am delighted you've seen Molly and got such good advice. It's a good thing to sound out here on the forum first if possible, which is just what you did. It means that there's perhaps not so much to take in all at once when Molly tells you as you've heard the words before ...

Good luck for you and brave little Ted. I agree 100% with everything Molly said :D

Oh Cara, you're looking after that little Ted till Kingdom Come! Bless him and also you for doing so much :love:

I am delighted you've seen Molly and got such good advice. It's a good thing to sound out here on the forum first if possible, which is just what you did. It means that there's perhaps not so much to take in all at once when Molly tells you as you've heard the words before ...

Good luck for you and brave little Ted. I agree 100% with everything Molly said :D

You are absolutely right! The knowledge I have gained from here gives me an opportunity to hold a two way conversation. And actually, to give you further credit I will quote you here "The fact that he improves over the course of the day suggests to me that arthritis or some sort of spinal issue may be involved ..." Bang on with molly's thoughts :D

Of course, everything we are doing for Teddy is with caution as to the outcome and I do absolutely appreciate that, but at least all possibilities will have been explored and that's all anyone of us can hope to do for our bunnies as there isn't any magic involved.

Meanwhile .... have spring cleaned Teddy's pad (10% bleach .. possibly overkill!) and looking forward to getting him back tomorrow and embarking on the new medication regime. Fingers crossed for a noticeable difference :love:

Much appreciation for each and everyone's input throughout all Teddy's threads :wave:

You are absolutely right! The knowledge I have gained from here gives me an opportunity to hold a two way conversation. And actually, to give you further credit I will quote you here "The fact that he improves over the course of the day suggests to me that arthritis or some sort of spinal issue may be involved ..." Bang on with molly's thoughts :D

Of course, everything we are doing for Teddy is with caution as to the outcome and I do absolutely appreciate that, but at least all possibilities will have been explored and that's all anyone of us can hope to do for our bunnies as there isn't any magic involved.

Meanwhile .... have spring cleaned Teddy's pad (10% bleach .. possibly overkill!) and looking forward to getting him back tomorrow and embarking on the new medication regime. Fingers crossed for a noticeable difference :love:

Much appreciation for each and everyone's input throughout all Teddy's threads :wave:

You're really kind Cara :love:

I'm glad Molly accorded with my suggestions of Tramadol and arthritis. Throwing ideas into the melting pot can't help completely, as I can't see Teddy, but if it helps a little even then that's a good job done :D

I hope all goes well for you and Teddy today :wave:

You're really kind Cara :love:

I'm glad Molly accorded with my suggestions of Tramadol and arthritis. Throwing ideas into the melting pot can't help completely, as I can't see Teddy, but if it helps a little even then that's a good job done :D

I hope all goes well for you and Teddy today :wave:

Thanks MightMax :wave:

I've been following Teddy's thread & rooting for him though don't think I've contributed. I've only vibes to offer. So glad he is under Molly now

Back