• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom pregnancy

Kirbygirl

New Kit
My rabbit has been having a phantom pregnancy,(definitely a phantom as not been with male), she has made a nest and lined it with fur. This was done just over a week ago now and doesn't seem to be sitting in it anymore, can anyone tell me when I should remove the nest as I don't want to do it too soon as to upset her or start her making another one. She shares the hutch with another female.

My rabbit has been having a phantom pregnancy,(definitely a phantom as not been with male), she has made a nest and lined it with fur. This was done just over a week ago now and doesn't seem to be sitting in it anymore, can anyone tell me when I should remove the nest as I don't want to do it too soon as to upset her or start her making another one. She shares the hutch with another female.

If she is no longer nesting or using the nest you could remove it. Although she may well have more phantom pregnancies. Are you planning on getting her spayed ?

Ok thank you, and no I wasn't planning on getting them spayed, so I guess this will happen again at some point.

Ok thank you, and no I wasn't planning on getting them spayed, so I guess this will happen again at some point.

Very likely unfortunately. Pseudopregnancies can be extremely stressful for the effected Doe and fighting with a partner can also occur as a result. Especially if the partner is also a Doe. I expect you know about the high risk of uterine cancer in unspayed Does from the age of about 5, sometimes even younger

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

Obviously the decision to spay or not is entirely up to you and if you were thinking of breeding then spaying would obviously not be on the cards :)

Hello Kirbygirl and welcome to the Forum :wave:

A phantom pregnancy is stressful for a doe.

Some info here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Pseu_preg/pseudo_en.htm

As this article says, the treatment is to spay your doe. I realise this may not be something you wish to do, but it will prevent tumours growing in the womb which could turn out to be cancerous.

There aren't really any statistics for how many does actually get cancer, but certainly it's something I would want for my rabbit :)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

May I ask why you don't intend to have your rabbits spayed?
I hope you have found the information posted here helpful.

The information has been really helpful, thank you everyone.
I just haven't given spaying much thought really as I have kept a number of rabbits before and none of them (males and females) have ever been done with no problems, however they were all in separate cages, one of which I did breed.
But after reading all the information provided I'm seriously considering having them done.

I'm very pleased that you found the information helpful. We are all after the same thing - to make our rabbits' lives as happy, healthy and contented as possible. I hope you stick around - its always good to have new input and you may pick up all sorts of tips.

I just haven't given spaying much thought really as I have kept a number of rabbits before and none of them (males and females) have ever been done with no problems, however they were all in separate cages, one of which I did breed.
But after reading all the information provided I'm seriously considering having them done.

If you have them neutered then they can live in bonded pairs or in larger groups. Pet Rabbits are usually much happier and in the longterm much healthier if they are neutered :)

You're welcome :)

Finding a really good rabbit vet is the key to successful neutering.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=veterinary.html

I like the bit in there that says Rabbits need TLC :love:

Now spayed

Just to update you all, I had my bunnies spayed 3 days ago, they,re doing well, very quiet at first but perking up as the days go by.
Hopefully now the bullying will stop, and of course the phantom pregnancies

Just to update you all, I had my bunnies spayed 3 days ago, they,re doing well, very quiet at first but perking up as the days go by.
Hopefully now the bullying will stop, and of course the phantom pregnancies

I'm pleased all went well!

Back