Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Phantom pregnancy

  1. #1
    New Kit Kirbygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    4

    Default Phantom pregnancy

    My rabbit has been having a phantom pregnancy,(definitely a phantom as not been with male), she has made a nest and lined it with fur. This was done just over a week ago now and doesn't seem to be sitting in it anymore, can anyone tell me when I should remove the nest as I don't want to do it too soon as to upset her or start her making another one. She shares the hutch with another female.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    127,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbygirl View Post
    My rabbit has been having a phantom pregnancy,(definitely a phantom as not been with male), she has made a nest and lined it with fur. This was done just over a week ago now and doesn't seem to be sitting in it anymore, can anyone tell me when I should remove the nest as I don't want to do it too soon as to upset her or start her making another one. She shares the hutch with another female.
    If she is no longer nesting or using the nest you could remove it. Although she may well have more phantom pregnancies. Are you planning on getting her spayed ?

  3. #3
    New Kit Kirbygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Ok thank you, and no I wasn't planning on getting them spayed, so I guess this will happen again at some point.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    127,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbygirl View Post
    Ok thank you, and no I wasn't planning on getting them spayed, so I guess this will happen again at some point.
    Very likely unfortunately. Pseudopregnancies can be extremely stressful for the effected Doe and fighting with a partner can also occur as a result. Especially if the partner is also a Doe. I expect you know about the high risk of uterine cancer in unspayed Does from the age of about 5, sometimes even younger

    http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...ts/uterine.htm

    http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...ing28.8.07.pdf

    Obviously the decision to spay or not is entirely up to you and if you were thinking of breeding then spaying would obviously not be on the cards

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbygirl View Post
    My rabbit has been having a phantom pregnancy,(definitely a phantom as not been with male), she has made a nest and lined it with fur. This was done just over a week ago now and doesn't seem to be sitting in it anymore, can anyone tell me when I should remove the nest as I don't want to do it too soon as to upset her or start her making another one. She shares the hutch with another female.

    Hello Kirbygirl and welcome to the Forum

    A phantom pregnancy is stressful for a doe.

    Some info here:

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen.../pseudo_en.htm

    As this article says, the treatment is to spay your doe. I realise this may not be something you wish to do, but it will prevent tumours growing in the womb which could turn out to be cancerous.

    There aren't really any statistics for how many does actually get cancer, but certainly it's something I would want for my rabbit

    http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...ing28.8.07.pdf

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    21,166

    Default

    May I ask why you don't intend to have your rabbits spayed?
    I hope you have found the information posted here helpful.

  7. #7
    New Kit Kirbygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    4

    Default

    The information has been really helpful, thank you everyone.
    I just haven't given spaying much thought really as I have kept a number of rabbits before and none of them (males and females) have ever been done with no problems, however they were all in separate cages, one of which I did breed.
    But after reading all the information provided I'm seriously considering having them done.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    21,166

    Default

    I'm very pleased that you found the information helpful. We are all after the same thing - to make our rabbits' lives as happy, healthy and contented as possible. I hope you stick around - its always good to have new input and you may pick up all sorts of tips.

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    127,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbygirl View Post
    The information has been really helpful, thank you everyone.
    I just haven't given spaying much thought really as I have kept a number of rabbits before and none of them (males and females) have ever been done with no problems, however they were all in separate cages, one of which I did breed.
    But after reading all the information provided I'm seriously considering having them done.
    If you have them neutered then they can live in bonded pairs or in larger groups. Pet Rabbits are usually much happier and in the longterm much healthier if they are neutered

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbygirl View Post
    The information has been really helpful, thank you everyone.
    I just haven't given spaying much thought really as I have kept a number of rabbits before and none of them (males and females) have ever been done with no problems, however they were all in separate cages, one of which I did breed.
    But after reading all the information provided I'm seriously considering having them done.

    You're welcome

    Finding a really good rabbit vet is the key to successful neutering.

    http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...eterinary.html

    I like the bit in there that says Rabbits need TLC

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •