• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

Kosu

Warren Scout
I have a group of 6 and i wondered if anyone has anymore tips for litter training.

I realise its a territorial thing and they were bonded a couple of months ago but everything has chilled out and i would like to get them to go more in the trays. The problem is my original bun is the only one out of them all who has been trained.

They have a shed with 4 trays, they are all pretty good with urine, it goes in the trays most of the time. But they poop everywhere, and there is no "set" place they will go.
Currently im sweeping it up twice a day, putting some of the poops in the trays and spraying vinegar over the floor to get rid of the smell. Most of the food is going in or above the trays but with 6 they usually decide to pile into one tray so there are plenty of bunny butts hanging over the side of the tray so its not really working :lol:

What else can i do? They are so messy haha.

one thing for me is, bunnies don't often poop in the litter tray. sometimes its territory, and other times its just because they eat and poop at the same time. its like shoving hay through a tube, what goes in comes out the other end :lol:

I've accepted the fact that I will likely never have them doing it in the litter tray, so pee is enough for me. at least the poop is small and hard, unlike dogs or cats (':

however, where is their hay located? is it just over the trays? if not, they're pooping where they eat so moving it over the trays would possibly reduce some of it. or where ever general food is, move it to where they can sit in the tray and eat it. Snoopy can end up pooping a load from eating nuggets or greens, so now i move it into the tray so there's slightly less mess lol.

Mine wee in their trays and MAINLY poo in them but there are always stray poos.

They are in a shed/run combo and have free range time for an hour or two most days. There are a lot of poos in our garden now!

How often are you changing the tray? If it not very often than this may be deterring your buns from using them. Also, try and have a couple of hay racks above the tray. I use a plastic bag holder from Ikea and it works well :) Sometimes putting them in a smaller space with the litter trays inside and then gradually increasing the space they have can work.

Back