• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soon Bonding Crash Bunny and new lady bun

Shayne_

Warren Scout
Hey everyone.

After losing Princess Talulah Belle so suddenly we have been left with Crash bunny alone agaon... but not for long. We've chosen a beautiful ladybun at the same RSPCA Walsall where we got PTB from 2 months ago.

Her name is currently Lottie but we have chosen the name Queen Bea (bit of a theme here!) she is 3 yrs old and has everything sorted but her standard combi vaccine. We've made arrangements to get it done at our vets on the Friday after we pick her up on Wednesday lunchtime. Crash is going to have his booster also.

So. I need some help on the best way to do the bonding. I'll list some options and if anyone wants to pick a preferred and offer advice or offer an alternative please do.

1) our first idea was to take Crash (it's a long drive) and have him meet her there on neutral ground for a date... see how they react and give them a little time. Then , do the Carrier in car method and put them together for the lon f drive home to then continue in a small pen in the spare bedroom. Where Crash hasn't claimed as his own. Keep them together and take to the vets and do on together so never split up and hope for the best lol

2) go and pick her up, bring her home and set up the pen upstairs and start then.

3) bring her back and give her a few days to get used to the place although I don't have anywhere else to put her so they have neautral territory .. so it's not ideal

4) take Crash and do the meet etc but instead of a small pen do a large one

5) bring her home first and use a big pen

I was hoping that if they get on well enough they can stay together start to finish, the road trips will help. Vet trips too. But... I just don't know

Any help appreciated

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

I'm sorry for your loss x

We were in a similar situation recently and opted for option 1. Although we had them in a fairly roomy enclosure when we brought them back. Sadly the partner we chose for our doe became poorly within a few days and we had to pts after six weeks. Two weeks later we repeated the process and now have lovely Ziggy. Both times they were together from the first date at the rescue and constantly from then on and are now getting along great.

Obviously, as you know, there are different ways of going about it and I'm sure you will find the best one that suits you and your buns.

Lots of luck x

I'm so sorry you had a similar experience losing bun so soon after bonding.

I think we will go with option 1. I just need to make sure it's ok with the foster, she did the first week of bonding crash and Talulah but this time we're gong to give it go.

I'm thinking perhaps take a few panels with if she hasn't got any and see how they get on. If ok enough put then together on carrier and see if the drive home helps.

I've never bonding from scratch before so I'm nervous but confident will be ok

Thank you x

Yes I'm sure you will be just fine :) and you know this place is full of advice if you need it.

I've only been keeping rabbits for around 2 years, so im a novice, but we've bonded a trio (now a pair) and two pairs with relative ease. Just lucky I guess. The recent ones the rescue lady just popped them in a run together for around an hour and they haven't been apart since.

What I loved was that the lady was so relaxed and didn't jump in if there was a little bit of chasing or humping and I think it helped the situation and us to remain relaxed too. We'd been to another rescue previously and from the off there was anxiety from the lady, us and the rabbits. She had a board in there the whole time to keep control but this just ended up with the rescue rabbit trying to rush past.

Aside from the initial meet and drive home we did keep them in neutral in our bedroom for around a week before moving them to the other room. I'm not sure what others do, but this worked for us x

I'd personally go with option one,but keeping a very close eye on the female - its incredible stress for her going from one home to another.
Best of luck xx

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Back