• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help newbie needing hutch advice

Ncrick

New Kit
Hi there,

I'm looking for some hutch advice, so clueless. I need a 4ft hutch but as this is my first time having rabbits I'm obsessively reading reviews and confusing myself. A hutch with a bottom floor or not? And any advice on where to get one from?

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum! Its great that you are researching buying a hutch before you go and buy one.
If you go onto the Housing section of this forum, there are lots of stickys with pictures of set ups. There is actually a minimum recommended size for a hutch and that is 6 foot x 2 x 2. Also to have an attached secure run that rabbits have access to all the time. This is because rabbits need as much space as cats, which mostly people have freeranging.
Have a look on gumtree and preloved. There are usually lots of second hand hutches for sale (although mostly smaller). For a new 6 ft hutch, try homeandroost, welfare hutch co and many more do the larger ones.
I'm sure others will be able to advise you also, but do have a look at the stickys at the front of the housing bit as there's lots of advice there.
Also look at the rwaf video, 'a hutch is not enough. '. It'll show you about housing a rabbit.
Lots of info on here so have a good look round the forum!
What kind of rabbits are you getting?

Just seconding what CometLucy has said.

A 6ft x 2ft hutch with constant access to a 6ft x 8ft run is the minimum recommended by the RWAF.
Single level will work fine,if they're on grass though you will need to predator proof it.
I recommend going for a more expensive hutch & run as generally the quality is better and they are better predator proofed.

Boyles pet housing, wekfare hutch co, manor pet housing etc make some good ones.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:
Again, adding to what others have already said.

Here is the link to the RWAF's website mentioned by CometLucy195, have a good look around - it has a lot of information on all different aspects of rabbit care, including housing: http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

As a first time rabbit owner you may also find it beneficial to purchase the RWAF's 'On The Hop' booklet, its only £1.50 and condenses a lot of the information you'll need to know: https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/on-the-hop-a-comprehensive-guide-to-rabbit-care-2/

Best of luck on your search for a hutch!

Back