• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

I can ask. Though i think the vet want to play safe at first.
Though Thumper seems fine dont think it needs more . Was more concerned if its much.
Except that she cant put pressure on the front leg cause of the stitches and iritation she eats well and even some more hay tonight :)

I can ask. Though i think the vet want to play safe at first.
Though Thumper seems fine dont think it needs more . Was more concerned if its much.
Except that she cant put pressure on the front leg cause of the stitches and iritation she eats well and even some more hay tonight :)

I'm glad the pain relief is working for her :)

I am also so pleased that she is eating well, and also some hay.

I totally agree with your vet, that being safe with the Metacam, and using the lowest dose possible, is totally the right thing to do :thumb:

Did the injection today.
Had a bit of trouble to get it into the skin.
But im worried cause when i pressed the injection so there will not be any air inside. Some of the medicine spilled . So Thumper got 0.2 ml less than it was.
The injections was ready from the vet . so i couldnt add more medicine inside. You think its a big problem ? Next dose is at Sunday

Did the injection today.
Had a bit of trouble to get it into the skin.
But im worried cause when i pressed the injection so there will not be any air inside. Some of the medicine spilled . So Thumper got 0.2 ml less than it was.
The injections was ready from the vet . so i couldnt add more medicine inside. You think its a big problem ? Next dose is at Sunday

It's always more difficult when they are pre-drawn up by the vet. They can get 'sticky'.

I usually do pen injections every other day, but I am assuming your vet knows what she/he is doing regards the treatment :)

So its ok that 0.2 ml lost ?

It just means that Thumper has not yet had a therapeutic dose. I would call the Vet and ask if you can give the next dose tomorrow. I have given Penicillin injections daily in some cases (as prescribed by my Vet) and there have been no adverse effects. But your Vet may not be happy for another dose to be given today, but they may be OK about it being given after 48 hours. The sooner Thumper starts on a therapeutic dose the better'

This link provides some details about the dose rate of Penicillin, perhaps you could forward the link to your Vet :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Penicillin.htm

So its ok that 0.2 ml lost ?

You know, I don't think it's productive to worry about something you can do nothing about. Your vet seems fairly cautious with the penicillin, so unless she were to give a daily dose for the immediate future, and a dose every other day for a continuing period of time, I doubt whether a loss of 0.2mls will make any difference.

You are trying your best with Thumper under difficult circumstances :)

It just means that Thumper has not yet had a therapeutic dose. I would call the Vet and ask if you can give the next dose tomorrow. I have given Penicillin injections daily in some cases (as prescribed by my Vet) and there have been no adverse effects. But your Vet may not be happy for another dose to be given today, but they may be OK about it being given after 48 hours. The sooner Thumper starts on a therapeutic dose the better'

This link provides some details about the dose rate of Penicillin, perhaps you could forward the link to your Vet :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Penicillin.htm
Hasnt get a therapeutic dose? O.5ml that vet gave me isnt enough? If its not i give her for no reason?

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Hasnt get a therapeutic dose? O.5ml that vet gave me isnt enough? If its not i give her for no reason?

I meant that as some of the dose did not get administered that particular dose would not be at the prescribed therapeutic amount x

Is it ok that i spray a bit of apple juice on the hay ? Thumper loves it that way

If it gets her to eat some hay then I would. I would just not spray on too much as Apple Juice contains quite a lot of sugar and too much sugar right now may not be the best idea :)

Last edited:

No - keep giving her what your vet has said to give. It will be fine, just do your best with the injections as I know you are :D

Sadly again the front paw has pus .
I saw some coming out from the stitches. Im afraid to put pressure there to remove the pus as there are many stitches.
Any chance the penicillin absorb the pus ?

Sadly again the front paw has pus .
I saw some coming out from the stitches. Im afraid to put pressure there to remove the pus as there are many stitches.
Any chance the penicillin absorb the pus ?

No the penicillin won't absorb the pus.
Can you very gently dab the area with a cotton pad soaked in cooled boiled water?

Back