• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

She is up! Drinking some water . Tried 1 pellet of food also ate it.
But im so sad seing her like this. She is up but cant put pressure on her feets cause of the wounds. Also she is licking the front paw wound, guess its ok ?

I'm glad to hear she is up - bless her :love:

Drinking and eating (even a bit) is also very good.

I guess the wounds will need to heal a bit more before she can put pressure on them. The fact that the feet are painful is probably an indicator that she shouldn't put too much weight - if any - on her feet right now.

I can keep an eye now , but what im gonna do the night im sleeping ?
She is already on pain med , i dont think i can more today.

I'm glad to hear she is up - bless her :love:

Drinking and eating (even a bit) is also very good.

I guess the wounds will need to heal a bit more before she can put pressure on them. The fact that the feet are painful is probably an indicator that she shouldn't put too much weight - if any - on her feet right now.

And what i can do about this . She tries not to put pressure , but i cant do anything.
As for food. i can already give her you think ?

Hopefully she will settle down again and sleep. You may need to set an alarm for every couple of hours throughout the night so you can check on her. Not great for you, I do realise that.

I think you'll have to do your best. Leave food and drink where she can easily access it, and perhaps look in on her if you wake during the night? You are probably exhausted with caring for her, but you're doing a brilliant job :)

What side effects Penicillin injections have? Im asking so to be aware

Thumper is doing fine, eating and drinking also standing a bit better

So glad to hear that Thumper is doing so well! :wave:

Penicillin injections *may* cause gut disturbances, but this is fairly rare. You could offset this by giving a probiotic/prebiotic. Vets here in the UK don't believe that probiotics/prebiotics work in rabbits because of the high acidity of their stomach acid, but they will certainly do no harm!

In very rare cases, it can lead to decreased appetite and the formation of sterile abscesses at the injection site. I have injected literally dozens of rabbits over 25 years with penicillin, and never had either of these issues :)

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

A possible side effect is that the Penicillin may cause gut dysbiosis which can lead to eneritis. Whilst this is by no means a common event, you are wise to be mindful of the small possibility. Things to watch out for are if Thumper stops eating, produces abnormal faeces/has diarrhoea. Should any of those symptoms occur then it is essential to seek prompt Veterinary treatment.

When used longterm there may be a risk of skin reactions developing at the injection site(s). I have only had this problem occur in one Rabbit and he was actually already prone to adverse local reactions to various injections.

On the whole I have always found Penicillin injections to be very useful in the treatment of Rabbit abscesses. All drugs have a risk of causing adverse side effects and the prescribing Vet will weigh up the risks v benefits when deciding which drug to prescribe in any given situation :)

Making sure that Thumper has a good fibre (hay) intake will help support her gut function. I'd also avoid feeding her sugary foods such as fruit/carrots whilst she is on Penicillin. And also make sure that should any Penicillin leak onto her fur when an injection is given that it is thoroughly wiped away to avoid any possibility of Thumper licking it off herself.

Here is Thumper still not fully waked up.

6ee7bf430ad06143e1c8f863fe314527.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

This is a beautiful photo :love:

How is she doing this morning?

Same as yesterday night. Eating and drinking well. Feet seem to be in pain cant put pressure on them. Going to buy metacam drops now to give her.
Thanks for interest

Same as yesterday night. Eating and drinking well. Feet seem to be in pain cant put pressure on them. Going to buy metacam drops now to give her.
Thanks for interest

Bless her, I do hope that the pain will reduce significantly ASAP. At least she is still eating, that has to be a good sign xx

Bless her, I do hope that the pain will reduce significantly ASAP. At least she is still eating, that has to be a good sign xx

Yes she is just picky with hay and not eating much. If i give more fresh greens does this supplement the fibres from not eating much hay these days?

Yes she is just picky with hay and not eating much. If i give more fresh greens does this supplement the fibres from not eating much hay these days?

Greens have a bit of fibre, but no-where near as much as hay. However, it is important that Thumper eats something and if she wont eat hay but will eat some greens that is better than her eating nothing.

Apart from greens what else is she eating ?

She eats just fine the pellets. Also some hay,but not much. Also i give some greens.

She eats just fine the pellets. Also some hay,but not much. Also i give some greens.

I would not worry too much about the lack of hay for now. Obviously in the longterm it's not good for a Rabbit to eat mostly pellets, but whilst Thumper is so unwell re the abscesses just keeping her eating is the main thing. Is she used to eating fresh grass ? If so that would be a good source of fibre and maybe more palatable to her than hay at the moment. However, I would not introduce grass now if Thumper has never had it before.

I think at this stage, just keep her eating greens, pellets, whatever she will eat :D

Worry about the hay later!

Just used the metacam. The dose was 10 drops. Hope she will feel better

Back