• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

You are very welcome :D

How is Thumper doing now? Still in pain, do you think?
Eating well again. Sometimes i think it may be in pain but not as much as yesterday.
Also confused if i should go to the same vet or try another one near me. He says that know about rabbits...

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Eating well again. Sometimes i think it may be in pain but not as much as yesterday.
Also confused if i should go to the same vet or try another one near me. He says that know about rabbits...

I would choose the one that you think knows the most about rabbits :D

I would contact a different Vet as a Vet who has failed to prescribe pain relief to a Rabbit with hock/feet abscesses is not a Vet I would feel able to trust, regardless of if they told me they 'know about Rabbits'. Failure to prescribe pain relief for a painful condition proves otherwise.

Just my personal opinion of course :)

Rabbit abscesses on the feet/hocks are painful, without exception.

As for Thumper's breed- she looks to be a mixed breed Rabbit, she appears to have a bit of Lionhead breed in her. Her colour is known as 'Agouti' :)

I really hope that the local Vet will be able to help her, especially with regards to pain relief x

Last edited:
We are back from vet.
Abscesses were better than the previous time.
More specific ,Thumper had a sedation. The back leg had a lot of pus , vet tried to remove as much as she could cause it was deep. No osteomyelitis (thank god). I have to clean it again with bedandine the next days and keep it open.The other back leg was fine and no abscess.
The front legs now , the one that was deep , had a little pus but one finger has dislocation from all these infections. Told me that there is not much to do.The other front leg had a little abscess but she completely removed all the pus and the capsule around the pus.
In conclusion vet told me that is in better condition. She is still a bit worried about the back leg and this may develop again pus. The 2 front hope that will be fine.
As for the medication gave me 3 penicillin injections to do every 2 days. Told be that there may be some side effects and i have to be careful for any sign. This injections are very drastical and hope that will heal the abcesses.While she told me to use 3 days baytril then she told me not. Im concerned that maybe would be better injections + baytril.
Also got a metacam on drops to use in case i saw Thumper in pain. 10 drops in a bit of water or apple juice.

Last edited:
We are back from vet.
More specific ,Thumper had a sedation. The back leg had a lot of pus , vet tried to remove as much as she could cause it was deep. No osteomyelitis (thank god). I have to clean it again with bedandine the next days and keep it open.The other back leg was fine and no abscess.
The front legs now , the one that was deep , had a little pus but one finger has dislocation from all these infections. Told me that there is not much to do.The other front leg had a little abscess but she completely removed all the pus and the capsule around the pus.
In conclusion vet told me that is in better condition. She is still a bit worried about the back leg and this may develop again pus. The 2 front hope that will be fine.
As for the medication gave me 3 penicillin injections to do every 2 days. Told be that there may be some side effects and i have to be careful for any sign. This injections are very drastical and hope that will heal the abcesses.While she told me to use 3 days baytril then she told me not. Im concerned that maybe would be better injections + baytril.
Also got a metacam on drops to use in case i saw Thumper in pain. 10 drops in a bit of water or apple juice.

It sounds as though the Vet has been more pro-active with regards to treatment. Whilst Penicillin injections are considered to be of higher risk for adverse side effects I have had countless Rabbits on this treatment over the years and only one had a serious adverse reaction. On the whole Penicillin given by injection can be well tolerated and it is far more likely to be effective at treating abscesses than is just Baytril. In my experience the course of Penicillin injections needs to be continued for some time AFTER obvious signs of infection have resolved. If treatment is stopped too soon infection often recurs and of course the residual bacteria allowing this to happen can become resistant to Penicillin. So you may need to speak with the Vet about extending the course of treatment beyond the amount of doses you have been given.

I am glad that there is no sign of osteomyelitis so far and I really hope that the more aggressive treatment may bring about a significant improvement. Did the Vet comment on whether he/she thought that the primary cause of Thumper's problems could be related to spinal pain ?

We are back from vet.

This sounds like a very good report from your vet :D

Which vet did you choose to see in the end?

Regarding penicillin injections, I remember mentioning these to you a while ago, and I'm pleased your vet has decided to use them. They are very well tolerated in rabbits, and because they do not go through the stomach, usually cause no disturbance at all to the gut, which is a very good thing :thumb:

I would say though, that the penicillin injections should be given all the time the abscess cavities are healing, and then some. Usually a couple of weeks post healing, though your vet may not see it that way. This will help to heal up the bone and also prevent any recurrence of the initial issue.

It's really good that there is no sign of osteomyelitis :)

As I mentioned in my earlier post to you, there may be some issue with arthritis or spinal pain - did the vet talk to you about that at all? I mention it as once you have resolved this problem, you don't want it recurring because the underlying cause hasn't been addressed.

Thanks so much for your update :D

The penicillin injections are 3 and if there are no adverse effects we will do 2 more. Thats what she said to me , i also thought that Thumper may need more . We will see. Lets hope for now to heal with these injections!
As for the spinal pain i asked couple of times but she didnt checked anything and continued to believe that Thumper can move well the feets cause of the abscesses. She may want to get rid of the abscesses first and then see any other problem may be
I will do the first injection is 2 days and im worried if i do sth wrong

Considering buying Manuka honey. Didnt asked vet cause i was sure she will tell me that it wont help.
Forgot to mention that Thumper is still 1.5kg . Good sign hasnt lost any more weight in these 20 days. Also vet told me to add leafy greens to her diet to gain some weight

Here is Thumper still not fully waked up.

6ee7bf430ad06143e1c8f863fe314527.jpg

The penicillin injections are 3 and if there are no adverse effects we will do 2 more. Thats what she said to me , i also thought that Thumper may need more . We will see. Lets hope for now to heal with these injections!
As for the spinal pain i asked couple of times but she didnt checked anything and continued to believe that Thumper can move well the feets cause of the abscesses. She may want to get rid of the abscesses first and then see any other problem may be
I will do the first injection is 2 days and im worried if i do sth wrong

Perhaps if your vet sees the penicillin is working, she may consider a more extended treatment with it?

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

Hopefully you can get rid of the abscesses, and then address any possible spinal pain :)

Considering buying Manuka honey. Didnt asked vet cause i was sure she will tell me that it wont help.
Forgot to mention that Thumper is still 1.5kg . Good sign hasnt lost any more weight in these 20 days. Also vet told me to add leafy greens to her diet to gain some weight

I would certainly consider buying it. It's not going to do any harm and may possibly do some good :)

I am glad she hasn't lost any more weight :thumb:

How much time till Thumper is fully waked ? Previous time stand up at 3 hours or so. Now she is till down. Wake but not on her feet.
Vet previous time and this time told me that it may take till noon to fully wake. Its not sth strange right ?

How much time till Thumper is fully waked ? Previous time stand up at 3 hours or so. Now she is till down. Wake but not on her feet.
Vet previous time and this time told me that it may take till noon to fully wake. Its not sth strange right ?

It depends on what drugs/doses were given. Also, if the Rabbit is already unwell in some way it can take a lot longer for them to recover from sedation/a GA. Supportive fluids given IV are often beneficial in a health compromised Rabbit who has had to have a sedation/a GA. Warmth is also important, sedative drugs lower the blood pressure and this makes it difficult for the Rabbit to regulate their body temperature. Does Thumper feel cold to touch ?

Can you contact the Vet by phone to seek some advice/reassurance about Thumper's rate of recovery from the sedation ?

It's very difficult to be specific here, as it will depend totally on exactly what sedation the vet has given.

I take it your little one hasn't recovered within the time frame given by your vet? This could be because of a previous sedation, which will of course have affected the whole system, and mean that any subsequent recovery from sedation may well take longer.

Can you call your vet to double check that all is well with Thumper?

It's very difficult to be specific here, as it will depend totally on exactly what sedation the vet has given.

I take it your little one hasn't recovered within the time frame given by your vet? This could be because of a previous sedation, which will of course have affected the whole system, and mean that any subsequent recovery from sedation may well take longer.

Can you call your vet to double check that all is well with Thumper?
Told me till tonight should be fully wake.
Guess she will be fine. She lick a bit herself,me when i pet her and look at me. She is just laying down. I guess its normal im just worried a lot. And no she is not cold on touch neither hot.

Told me till tonight should be fully wake.
Guess she will be fine. She lick a bit herself,me when i pet her and look at me. She is just laying down. I guess its normal im just worried a lot. And no she is not cold on touch neither hot.

Can you give her some water? Perhaps even by syringe?

I don't know whether your vet did this, but my vet asks me if I want my rabbit to have fluids after an operation. It's an extra charge, but one I feel is well worth it :)

She is up! Drinking some water . Tried 1 pellet of food also ate it.
But im so sad seing her like this. She is up but cant put pressure on her feets cause of the wounds. Also she is licking the front paw wound, guess its ok ?

She is up! Drinking some water . Tried 1 pellet of food also ate it.
But im so sad seing her like this. She is up but cant put pressure on her feets cause of the wounds. Also she is licking the front paw wound, guess its ok ?

You will need to keep a close eye on her to make sure that she does not start to chew the wound or cause it to bleed a lot. When one of my Rabbits had to have foot abscesses debrided the wounds were dressed in such a way that prevented the open wounds from coming into contact with the ground. Obviously weight bearing on open wounds is going to be very painful. I personally think that stronger analgesia may be needed, Metacam alone may not be enough. But that would be an issue to raise with the Vet x

Back