Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

Warren Scout

An update.
    We are going to vet every three days to check the progress of the feet and change the gauze on back leg.
    Vet is very optimistic , she said today that she cant believe how good Thumper is now.
    We are almost free of pus from legs , the back leg is trying to heal from the inside.
    Front paw with the many fractures cant be saved sadly and we gonna amputate it sometime when the other 3 legs are fine. Im much worried about this.
    Do you have any experience ? Vet says that will be fine after the amputate and will feel better than now that she cant stand on this leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefteris View Post
    An update.
    We are going to vet every three days to check the progress of the feet and change the gauze on back leg.
    Vet is very optimistic , she said today that she cant believe how good Thumper is now.
    We are almost free of pus from legs , the back leg is trying to heal from the inside.
    Front paw with the many fractures cant be saved sadly and we gonna amputate it sometime when the other 3 legs are fine. Im much worried about this.
    Do you have any experience ? Vet says that will be fine after the amputate and will feel better than now that she cant stand on this leg.

I am glad you and your vet are working so well together

Thumper sounds like she is a strong fighter. Well, you are too I think!

Rabbits with three legs do fine. She will be much better without it, once she has got used to it.

Thank you for posting xx

Warren Scout

And its better that only the paw will be missing and not all the leg right? She could even walk with the amputated lag?

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

And its better that only the paw will be missing and not all the leg right? She could even walk with the amputated lag?

Is your vet only going to amputate the paw?

I am not sure she would be able to walk on a leg where just the paw had been amputated, but your vet will know what to suggest. Amputating the whole limb is more common:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/limb-loss.html

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-5/kenney.html

Warren Scout

Yeah she told me about the paw not the whole leg as the problem is in the paw.

Warren Veteran

It's wonderful that your vet is now so optimistic about Thumper. The new regime seems to be working so well. Sending lots more vibes for her.

Yeah she told me about the paw not the whole leg as the problem is in the paw.

She knows what she's doing - it sounds very positive.

Vibes from here to you both

Warren Scout

We are using a bead with antibiotic on the back leg wound to help cure the osteomyelitis
    One week and its a little better but again vet is not sure if it will be cured.
    Today we changed the bead and put another one. Vet hope that next week will be better if not there is nothing else to do and we have to consider put Thumper on sleep sometime soon
    Im very sad , i really hope to be even more improved Can't put her one sleep
    Do you know anything else i can recommend the vet to try ?

Warren Veteran

I have no advice for you I'm afraid, but I really hope that you see some more improvement next week.

Wise Old Thumper

We are using a bead with antibiotic on the back leg wound to help cure the osteomyelitis
    One week and its a little better but again vet is not sure if it will be cured.
    Today we changed the bead and put another one. Vet hope that next week will be better if not there is nothing else to do and we have to consider put Thumper on sleep sometime soon
    Im very sad , i really hope to be even more improved Can't put her one sleep
    Do you know anything else i can recommend the vet to try ?
    Unfortunately sometimes it is impossible to 'cure' osteomyelitis If systemic and topical antibiotics do not work and if surgical removal of the infected bone/amputation of effected limb is not an option then sadly there is nothing more that can be done other than palliative care

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...Lagomorphs.htm