• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

I use bedandine in water. Ill check if hanuka honey is avalaible here in greece. What u do with this? Put it on the wound? It has to be open?

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I use bedandine in water. Ill check if hanuka honey is avalaible here in greece. What u do with this? Put it on the wound? It has to be open?

Yes, depending on the state of the abscess, I clean the wound with it (using a cotton bud) and then use another bud to put some into the abscess cavity, or onto the wound. It's been shown to heal leg ulcers where nothing else will.

Question :
Can i use meloxicam in tabs for rabbits ?
I was thinking to crash it put it into a banana for example

Question :
Can i use meloxicam in tabs for rabbits ?
I was thinking to crash it put it into a banana for example

Meloxicam is a medication that can only be given when prescribed by a Vet who has examined the Rabbit. None of us on this Forum are qualified in Veterinary Medicine so we are not legally able to advise you to give the drug to your Rabbit. You would need to consult a Vet about that x

Yes i will ask about pain medication but i think again vet gonna say that is no needed.
Btw sedative injections are safe so the vet can remove the pus more effectively? Did it the previous time and im worried it may need again

Yes i will ask about pain medication but i think again vet gonna say that is no needed.
Btw sedative injections are safe so the vet can remove the pus more effectively? Did it the previous time and im worried it may need again

Well it's true that rabbits can certainly have abscesses that are not painful. But they almost always *are* painful when they are being cleaned, as the tissue is very sensitive even if the pus and abscess capsule are not.

If your vet is experienced, then a sedative will be a very good idea to clean out the wound. Should be fine and better than the pain caused by cleaning.

Maybe you could print this out to show your Vet

http://www.floridarabbit.org/Importance_of_Pain_Control.pdf

The amount of pain that would be caused by debriding abscesses on the feet/hocks would be significant and there is no way that I would allow a Rabbit in my care to have it done without adequate pre procedure analgesia and sedation/a GA.

I do hope that your Bunny can be helped x

The last 2 days Thumper is not hopping again like it used to .
Seems like she is reluctant to hop the back feets. She do it , but again it seems that it difficults her. Pain again cause of the back feet abscess ?

Seems like she is reluctant to hop the back feets. She do it , but again it seems that it difficults her. Pain again cause of the back feet abscess ?

Yes, absolutely. Not only will the abscesses be painful but if the primary cause of the abscesses on the feet is due to a spinal problem, as I previously mentioned, that will be painful too. It sounds as though Thumper needs to have some pain relief ASAP as if she is in pain she will eventually stop eating and this will lead to gut stasis.

It's quite possible, as I mentioned in my last post, that the abscess is causing your rabbit pain. Your vet will be able to ascertain if this is happening as it's difficult to tell with rabbits.

If you think the pain has caused her back feet abscess, then it's likely to be due to some arthritic or problem with the spine. If that's the case (and again, we cannot see your rabbit and *none* of us are trained to help you in this way) then your vet can prescribe adequate pain relief.

You mention you will be going to the vet very soon, I hope this addresses the issue.

Here are some articles that might be worth you looking at:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/pain.html

http://rabbit.org/the-importance-of-analgesia-pain-control-for-pet-rabbits/

Thanks for the articles!
A question out of the problem Thumper has.
Can anyone figure out what breed is Thumper ?

Back