• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

Today morning when I woke up , Thumper was on her feet .
Also ate a lot of hay and pellets.
Tomorrow I am going to the vet for a check.
Gonna discuss with the vet if there is an option to increase the dose of pain killer. I'm now at 1.5mg per day . You know is it possible this ?

A very strong rabbit :)

Metacam can be given at a fairly strong dose when needed, and for a short time.
I hope your vet can help Thumper x

Vet found that Thumper has some kind of problem in her back . Not very serious, though this made her in much pain this day. That's why she couldn't stand.
This damage happened from the immobility. That's why we doubled the dose of Meloxicam .
She is fine these days.Eating a lot of greens and some hay. From time I introduced the greens in her diet , she eating less pellets. That's normal right ?

Vet found that Thumper has some kind of problem in her back . Not very serious, though this made her in much pain this day. That's why she couldn't stand.
This damage happened from the immobility. That's why we doubled the dose of Meloxicam .
She is fine these days.Eating a lot of greens and some hay. From time I introduced the greens in her diet , she eating less pellets. That's normal right ?

I'm glad to hear that Thumper is eating well.

Greens and hay are the staples of a rabbit's diet. Pellets plainly a small part, and of course the green veggies will supply lots of moisture for her.

Thumper is fine. I just have a question cause my vet is closed for holidays for 10 days.
What I can use at the irritated skin. She has a bit of red skin at the back of her tail cause of the urine. I'm cleaning it with water and I'm trying to have her as dry as possible. Any cream I can use safe ?

Thumper is fine. I just have a question cause my vet is closed for holidays for 10 days.
What I can use at the irritated skin. She has a bit of red skin at the back of her tail cause of the urine. I'm cleaning it with water and I'm trying to have her as dry as possible. Any cream I can use safe ?

If the skin is just irritated, not broken, you can use a barrier cream. Like what is used on babies that get nappy rash.
For example: https://www.zachospharmacy.gr/en/168-baby-nappy-rash-diapers
Ive used sudocreme before. (That is in one of the products in the link). I found it to heal and protect the skin well. What I liked about it is the thickness. So even when the body heat melted the cream some, it still stayed on pretty well.
Some people use creams that contain silver sulfadiazine and in the US, "bag balm" is often recommeded. It is a balm sold fior people but was originally invented to use on cow udders! Its a petroluem based product though.

Im really glad to read Thumper is doing well !

Last edited:

I am glad to hear Thumper is doing well :)

I tend to use a gentle healing cream, which also acts as a water barrier.

Thanks all :love:
Yeah the skin is just a bit red. I have sudocream I'm gonna use some and hope will be fine :)
On a broken skin what I can use ? Just in case asking
Btw its ok to use Hair dryer on rabbits? When I need to wash the tail I use it on low speed and in a distance. Thumper seems ok with that.

Thanks all :love:
Yeah the skin is just a bit red. I have sudocream I'm gonna use some and hope will be fine :)
On a broken skin what I can use ? Just in case asking
Btw its ok to use Hair dryer on rabbits? When I need to wash the tail I use it on low speed and in a distance. Thumper seems ok with that.

There are many of us on here who use a hairdryer to dry their rabbit's fur, although you might find the odd one who disagrees with that ;)

I personally never use sudocreme, but I know many vets recommend it :thumb:

Realised that its been a while since i uploaded a photo of Thumper. So here she is eating a dandelion root
6435b1539fcd50b1473a6532ad7f9a97.jpg
4db7d403f93c2e8cd30a94e825cb5a3e.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I need a suggestion about something.
I'm giving her the antibiotic Azythromycin that my vet is making. Though I'm giving it more than a month the last days Thumper started to have diarrhea. She was doing normal poop but also some diarrhea. So I stopped the antibiotic for a couple of days and now she is back to normal.
I'm scared to start giving again the same antibiotic so I'm tempted to go back to the one I was using before this The Contrim E Ratiopharm.
What you think ? I'm confused and my vet is closed for summer
However Thumper is doing great despite the fact that her back leg is stretched. She is managing just fine

I'm giving her the antibiotic Azythromycin that my vet is making. Though I'm giving it more than a month the last days Thumper started to have diarrhea. She was doing normal poop but also some diarrhea. So I stopped the antibiotic for a couple of days and now she is back to normal.
I'm scared to start giving again the same antibiotic so I'm tempted to go back to the one I was using before this The Contrim E Ratiopharm.
However Thumper is doing great despite the fact that her back leg is stretched. She is managing just fine

I am sorry your post was missed yesterday. Unfortunately none of us on here are qualified to advise you about what antibiotic to give now, if any. Only the Vet treating your Rabbit can do that. Is there not some sort of Emergency Veterinary Care cover in place whilst your Vet is closed all Summer ?

I do hope that Thumper can remain comfortable within herself.

I am so pleased to hear that Thumper is doing so well - that's great news!

There's some info about the drug you mention here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

The Contrim E Ratiopharm is Trimethoprim Sulpha.

There's also some Forum info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?435809-Zithromax-tailor-off-or-just-stop

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?396928-Bad-reaction-to-Zithromax

From what I understand, there can be reactions, but you must check all this out with a vet.
A rabbit on this medication would need regular monitoring :)

Hello all!
Last Friday was on the vet for a check up on Thumper!
Cause there was again some pus on the front paw we started again the Azythromycin antibiotic that we had seen good results (the one that made her soft poop too ) , though this time was Zythromax i bought from pharmacy. 5 days now the pus seems to have gone from the paw but from the first day the appetite and general mood of the bunny has gone down. Today especially she is not eating/drinking alone at all. I feed her with my hand some alfa alfa hay and a few pellets. Only fresh greens eat on her own with appetite. She is not even drinking water at all from the bottle.
So i did a research on web and saw a lot of people have exactly the similar problem with Zythromax (loss of appetite, not drinking water , bunny in one place ).
You think is the antibiotic made Thumper that bad ? Even with the severe abcesses a couple of months back was eating/drinking jsut fine. Never had problem with appetite and general mood of the rabbit.
Should i give her the dose today or skip it and ask my vet tommorow what to do ?

Back