• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

Hello all!
Last Friday was on the vet for a check up on Thumper!
Cause there was again some pus on the front paw we started again the Azythromycin antibiotic that we had seen good results (the one that made her soft poop too ) , though this time was Zythromax i bought from pharmacy. 5 days now the pus seems to have gone from the paw but from the first day the appetite and general mood of the bunny has gone down. Today especially she is not eating/drinking alone at all. I feed her with my hand some alfa alfa hay and a few pellets. Only fresh greens eat on her own with appetite. She is not even drinking water at all from the bottle.
So i did a research on web and saw a lot of people have exactly the similar problem with Zythromax (loss of appetite, not drinking water , bunny in one place ).
You think is the antibiotic made Thumper that bad ? Even with the severe abcesses a couple of months back was eating/drinking jsut fine. Never had problem with appetite and general mood of the rabbit.
Should i give her the dose today or skip it and ask my vet tommorow what to do ?

Hi there :wave:

I was wondering how you and Thumper were doing!

There have been reported adverse reactions with Zithromax:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?396928-Bad-reaction-to-Zithromax

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?435809-Zithromax-tailor-off-or-just-stop

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?447944-Zithromax-reactions-advice-needed-please

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?220924-Zithromax

I personally wouldn't do anything without consulting a vet :)

The adverse reactions are exactly the same i read there.
I just gave her some fresh greens to eat. Its the only thing she still eats with appetite.
How much water she needs to drink ? I gave her 2ml a while ago

The adverse reactions are exactly the same i read there.
I just gave her some fresh greens to eat. Its the only thing she still eats with appetite.
How much water she needs to drink ? I gave her 2ml a while ago

Is she not drinking by herself at the moment?

Not today.

Then you are right to syringe her water.

2ml is a very small amount. If you can up it to maybe 5ml and do it every couple of hours and try and work upwards from there until she is drinking again.

Alternatively, give her wet leafy greens and herbs to eat?

I give her wet leafy greens.
Ill syringe some more water before i go to sleep.

It may be that she needs IV fluids if she is not eating or drinking at all. A maintenance level of fluid therapy is 4ml/kg/hour, a dehydrated Rabbit requires more- This needs to be given IV in a very debilitated Rabbits

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/word.../2012/03/Fluid-therapy-in-rabbit-patients.pdf

I would not administer any more Zithromax until you have spoken with the Vet again x

If a rabbit is dehydrated it doesnt eat also ?
Today morning she picked 2-3 pellets on her own. Though still not drinking water or eating properly.
Gonna call vet and inform you!
Thanks for help

Called the vet. Told me to give a lot of water and go there to get another antibiotic.
She was although surprised that this time the Azythromycin had such an adverse effect.

Can you ask your vet about injectable penecillian as it's very good for absess but doest affect the gut as much or very little.

As for the medication gave me 3 penicillin injections to do every 2 days. Told be that there may be some side effects and i have to be careful for any sign. This injections are very drastical and hope that will heal the abcesses

I believe that Thumper has already had Penicillin Injections

Sadly Thumper has Osteomyelitis :cry:

Ill ask when i go the afternoon.
Thumper still has the same attitude. Not eating/drinking on her own. So maybe it wasnt the Zythromax? But if not why she is not eating .

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Thumper still has the same attitude. Not eating/drinking on her own. So maybe it wasnt the Zythromax? But if not why she is not eating .

Is she still receiving pain relief ? Osteomyelitis is painful and as it progresses a higher dose/stronger analgesia may be needed. As you know, a Rabbit in pain is unlikely to want to eat x

Yes 0.4ml every 12 hours. Thumper is 1.2kg

You might have to wait a while for the Zithromax to leave her system - your vet can advise on that :)

Back