• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

I think thats it MightyMax
Is it any good ? Vet told me that its a good medicine for osteomyelitis
How you treated your rabbits osteomyelitis ?

Yes, if the pus was cultured and sent to the lab, the right antibiotic should have been identified :)

I treated my rabbit with a long and aggressive course of antibiotics. This was about 20+ years ago!

Vet told me to wait till Monday and then do the culture of the pus.
If we see until Monday that the pus is coming back then we will do it

Thumper is not moving much but when she does she hops almost normal.
Also her apetite is not the best. But i guess she is might tired and in pain
Forgot to mention that vet wrapped the 2 feet with a gauze filled with an antibiotic. Told me to try hold it to her feet till Monday.
Till now is going well , she just licking the gauze a bit .

Last edited:
Vet told me to wait till Monday and then do the culture of the pus.
If we see until Monday that the pus is coming back then we will do it

Thumper is not moving much but when she does she hops almost normal.
Also her apetite is not the best. But i guess she is might tired and in pain
Forgot to mention that vet wrapped the 2 feet with a gauze filled with an antibiotic. Told me to try hold it to her feet till Monday.
Till now is going well , she just licking the gauze a bit .

You are doing so much for your little girl. I really hope all this helps her :)

I'm so sorry to hear about you're bunny 😢 I hope she gets better soon. Give her lots of fresh herbs and little bundles of fresh hay, and treats like bits of apple to encourage her to eat [but still go easy on sugary ones]. If she's moving around and interacting with you that's a good sign. Animals who live in colonies tend to separate themselves out when they think they're ill to prevent spreading disease. If she lives with you try to make sure it's not too noisy so she can rest. Get up early to be with her, but leave the lights off if there's enough natural light for you to see [rabbis are most active at dawn and sundown, so they like dim morning and evening light]. I wish I could give you better advice, good ood luck 🍀I'll say a little prayer for her ♥️

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

She feels and seems better. She is moving a lot better that is good.
Also changed her bedding to fleece blanket, which works pretty good.
Now going to vet yo change her gauzes from her paws.
Here is a photo of her at the new home.
1613b22721490b78e1b1a8591f8f8b84.jpg
98c5acc8a734d578968506c944d66f20.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

She feels and seems better. She is moving a lot better that is good.
Also changed her bedding to fleece blanket, which works pretty good.
Now going to vet yo change her gauzes from her paws.
Here is a photo of her at the new home.
1613b22721490b78e1b1a8591f8f8b84.jpg
98c5acc8a734d578968506c944d66f20.jpg

You seem to be working miracles with her lefteris. She does look rather comfortable in there :)

Sending all the vibes in the world, and to you. This must be so stressful and you care so much x

Im trying my best. I love her so much and so does the vet. She seems to care so much
We are back now from the vet. Changed the gauzes and we gonna change them again on Friday.
She is going much better and we may apply some honey next time on the gauze.
Thanks for all the interest :)

Im trying my best. I love her so much and so does the vet. She seems to care so much
We are back now from the vet. Changed the gauzes and we gonna change them again on Friday.
She is going much better and we may apply some honey next time on the gauze.
Thanks for all the interest :)

The fact the vet loves her and is willing to fight for/with her is a wonderful bonus :)

Honey on the gauze sounds a good idea :) xx

Lefteris, you truly are a credit to rabbit owners everywhere. It is so nice to see how much you love Thumper and how much you've done for her.
So well done you, keep going! :)
And what a good idea spraying apple juice on the hay! :)

An update.
We are going to vet every three days to check the progress of the feet and change the gauze on back leg.
Vet is very optimistic , she said today that she cant believe how good Thumper is now.
We are almost free of pus from legs , the back leg is trying to heal from the inside.
Front paw with the many fractures cant be saved sadly and we gonna amputate it sometime when the other 3 legs are fine. Im much worried about this.
Do you have any experience ? Vet says that will be fine after the amputate and will feel better than now that she cant stand on this leg.

An update.
We are going to vet every three days to check the progress of the feet and change the gauze on back leg.
Vet is very optimistic , she said today that she cant believe how good Thumper is now.
We are almost free of pus from legs , the back leg is trying to heal from the inside.
Front paw with the many fractures cant be saved sadly and we gonna amputate it sometime when the other 3 legs are fine. Im much worried about this.
Do you have any experience ? Vet says that will be fine after the amputate and will feel better than now that she cant stand on this leg.

I am glad you and your vet are working so well together :)

Thumper sounds like she is a strong fighter. Well, you are too I think!

Rabbits with three legs do fine. She will be much better without it, once she has got used to it.

Thank you for posting xx

And its better that only the paw will be missing and not all the leg right? She could even walk with the amputated lag?

And its better that only the paw will be missing and not all the leg right? She could even walk with the amputated lag?

Is your vet only going to amputate the paw?

I am not sure she would be able to walk on a leg where just the paw had been amputated, but your vet will know what to suggest. Amputating the whole limb is more common:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/limb-loss.html

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-5/kenney.html

Yeah she told me about the paw not the whole leg as the problem is in the paw.

It's wonderful that your vet is now so optimistic about Thumper. The new regime seems to be working so well. Sending lots more vibes for her.

Yeah she told me about the paw not the whole leg as the problem is in the paw.

She knows what she's doing - it sounds very positive.

Vibes from here to you both :love:

We are using a bead with antibiotic on the back leg wound to help cure the osteomyelitis
One week and its a little better but again vet is not sure if it will be cured.
Today we changed the bead and put another one. Vet hope that next week will be better if not there is nothing else to do and we have to consider put Thumper on sleep sometime soon
Im very sad , i really hope to be even more improved :( Can't put her one sleep
Do you know anything else i can recommend the vet to try ?

I have no advice for you I'm afraid, but I really hope that you see some more improvement next week.

We are using a bead with antibiotic on the back leg wound to help cure the osteomyelitis
One week and its a little better but again vet is not sure if it will be cured.
Today we changed the bead and put another one. Vet hope that next week will be better if not there is nothing else to do and we have to consider put Thumper on sleep sometime soon
Im very sad , i really hope to be even more improved :( Can't put her one sleep
Do you know anything else i can recommend the vet to try ?

Unfortunately sometimes it is impossible to 'cure' osteomyelitis :cry: If systemic and topical antibiotics do not work and if surgical removal of the infected bone/amputation of effected limb is not an option then sadly there is nothing more that can be done other than palliative care :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Osteomyelitis_Lagomorphs.htm

Back