Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

Quote Originally Posted by Lefteris View Post
    Yes.
    Its enough?
    I also have from the vet 3 doses of tramadol . Ill ask if i can use it with the meloxicam

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Yes in general you can use Tramadol alongside Metacam.

We aren't qualified to give you specific doses of Metacam or other meds for your rabbit, as each have differing requirements based on weight and other factors.

Check with your vet, and query it if you don't think the dosage is correct x

Wise Old Thumper

Yes.
    Its enough?
    I also have from the vet 3 doses of tramadol . Ill ask if i can use it with the meloxicam

I would ask the Vet if he/she thinks it would be a good idea to increase the dose of Metacam. There is a wide dose range for the drug and only the Vet prescribing it can make the judgement as to what dose to prescribe for the individual case being treated.

It may be that if the Vet prescribed a higher dose of Metacam then the Tramadol may not be needed yet.

I would ask the Vet if Thumper could also have a drug called Ranitidine (Zantac) if she is not already on it. Ranitidine can help protect the GI tract from ulceration. GI tract ulceration can occur when a Rabbit is not eating and Meloxicam can exacerbate the ulceration.

My advice would be to give the Vet another call ASAP to discuss the above options

Quote Originally Posted by nickybunny1 View Post
    Can you ask your vet about injectable penecillian as it's very good for absess but doest affect the gut as much or very little.

You're right Nicky, and I believe lefteris has discussed this with her vet in the past. From memory it wasn't used for very long - lefteris will confirm this.

It's an excellent drug for osteomyelitis and I used it for my rabbit 20 years ago with great success. It all depends on what the vet thinks is most appropriate for the condition I suppose, but I am with you in believing it to be very good

Warren Scout

Sorry for the late response. I was very busy with Thumper these days. To make sure she eats and drinks properly.
    From yesterday she gradually gaining appetite. She eats pellets and some hay on her own and ofcourse a lot of greens and some treats . She still has to drink water from syringe or from a bowl ( though cant let the bowl in cage)
    We changed antibiotic from Monday and so far seems to be ok with this one.
    I just noticed she had lost the balance from the front paw (the one that was already with many broken toes) because the toes changed shape for some reason and she cant put pressure somewhere and stand easily.

Wise Old Thumper

Sorry for the late response. I was very busy with Thumper these days. To make sure she eats and drinks properly.
    From yesterday she gradually gaining appetite. She eats pellets and some hay on her own and ofcourse a lot of greens and some treats . She still has to drink water from syringe or from a bowl ( though cant let the bowl in cage)
    I just noticed she had lost the balance from the front paw (the one that was already with many broken toes) because the toes changed shape for some reason and she cant put pressure somewhere and stand easily.
    I am glad that she is eating better now. Perhaps she has some increased pain in the toes of the foot that was damaged ? Arthritic changes can occur after a fracture. Is she still having pain relief ?

Hi there

You never need to apologise

I am glad to hear that her appetite is increasing.

Which antibiotic is she having now?

I'm sorry to hear about the toe - do you think the current level of pain relief is working well enough?

Warren Scout

We will have to make an visit to the vet sometime soon
    For now she seems ok. I think its more herself every day passes!
    The antibiotic is Pradofloxacin

Ah OK, thank you.

I am so glad she's thriving - it must be a relief for you x

Wise Old Thumper

That is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/...C500109014.pdf

In the UK a similar drug ,Enrofloxacin (Baytril), is often prescribed as it is licenced for use in Rabbits in the UK