• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcesses in my bunny - Help needed -

We are using a bead with antibiotic on the back leg wound to help cure the osteomyelitis
One week and its a little better but again vet is not sure if it will be cured.
Today we changed the bead and put another one. Vet hope that next week will be better if not there is nothing else to do and we have to consider put Thumper on sleep sometime soon
Im very sad , i really hope to be even more improved :( Can't put her one sleep
Do you know anything else i can recommend the vet to try ?

I'm sorry about this lefteris :( You are both working so hard together.

I have known rabbits live for a long time when the osteomyelitis is cured or at least brought under control.

I really hope you and your vet can help Thumper and make some headway toward improvement.

http://josr-online.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1749-799X-8-38

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm

Thumper is looking very good. Eating good and much hay. She really loves orchard grass.
I cant believe that if there is no progress on the back leg she will need euthanasia sometime soon :(

Στάλθηκε από το Maya μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Thumper is looking very good. Eating good and much hay. She really loves orchard grass.
I cant believe that if there is no progress on the back leg she will need euthanasia sometime soon :(

I am glad to hear she is doing well within herself.

I really hope you don't have to consider euthanasia. That would be a tragedy after all that the both of you have been through x

I hope that it will not come to that, but I am sure you will do what is best for Thumper xx

I'm pleased that she is doing so well. She's a very plucky rabbit and I'm really hoping that the abx works for her.

How many times you can put these beads on the wound ? If there is no progress this time ,worth trying one more week ?
Also im gonna tell vet that if she believes that we are at a dead end and nothing else will help that i want to continue the meloxicam and tmps antibiotic as i see thumper being a happy bunny.

How many times you can put these beads on the wound ? If there is no progress this time ,worth trying one more week ?
Also im gonna tell vet that if she believes that we are at a dead end and nothing else will help that i want to continue the meloxicam and tmps antibiotic as i see thumper being a happy bunny.

If the bead has not bought about any improvement at all then really it is unlikely that repeating the procedure will do so. If the bacteria involved in the infection are resistant to the antibiotic in the bead then it just will not work. Is Thumper able to use the effected limb at all ?

The antibiotic beads release their meds over a period of months or years, should it shouldn't be necessary to replace them. However, if they aren't working it would be a signal that the antibiotic isn't appropriate to the bacteria.

In that case the existing beads would be removed and now ones implanted. It's best to culture the bacteria and also find a broad spectrum antibiotic to cover this eventuality.

I really hope you're not at a dead end with Thumper. Loads of vibes for you both xx

There was no progress. The wound is clean with no pus but the hole isnt closing.
Now ill clean the wound with a antiseptic soap and the apply a spray that helps the wound to close.
Vet waits for the wound to close then we can amputate the front leg otherwise we cant.

There was no progress. The wound is clean with no pus but the hole isnt closing.
Now ill clean the wound with a antiseptic soap and the apply a spray that helps the wound to close.
Vet waits for the wound to close then we can amputate the front leg otherwise we cant.

I use Manuka honey on wounds that won't heal.

Sending loads of vibes for you and Thumper xx

I am not sure why that would be :?

I hope that Thumper is as comfortable as possible x

What you mean?
Front leg cant be saved. So we have to make the other three legs as good as possible so Thumper feel comfortable to walk when we amputate the front paw.
Ill clean and use the spray for 2 weeks. Hope wound will close in these 2 weeks

What you mean?
Front leg cant be saved. So we have to make the other three legs as good as possible so Thumper feel comfortable to walk when we amputate the front paw.

I thought that you meant that the leg to be amputated is the one with an open wound. Sorry for the confusion x

What you mean?

Yes that's what I understood to be the case :)

I really hope the wound will close within this time frame xx

*Update*
Wound is looking much better. Seems almost closed :D
Something i noticed is that sometimes 2-3 times in 2 weeks for example her urine is pinkish.Not all of it some part of it in the center mostly. I think that it happens after i give her a dried fruit snack i bought.
Is there a way to determine if its just a colour or blood ?

*Update*
Something i noticed is that sometimes 2-3 times in 2 weeks for example her urine is pinkish.Not all of it some part of it in the center mostly. I think that it happens after i give her a dried fruit snack i bought.

Unfortunately, if the colour is in the centre of the pee, it is more likely to be from blood.
More healing {{{vibes}}} for Thumper. Im glad to read her wound is looking better.

Unfortunately, if the colour is in the centre of the pee, it is more likely to be from blood.

I agree, but obviously it is impossible for us to say for certain. Is Thumper relatively immobile ? If so this can cause a build up of calcium deposits in the bladder (bladder sludge) which in turn can cause inflammation of the bladder wall and haematuria (blood in urine). Of course there are other causes of haematuria too, especially in Does who have not been spayed.

However, this is all speculation as I dont know if what you are seeing is blood or not.

Could you speak with the Vet about the situation ?

*Update*

I am glad to hear that the wound is looking better, that's good news :)

It's possible that the snack you give her is causing the colour of the wee to change.

As she has been fairly sedentary, it could be that a build up of bladder sludge has caused inflammation which in turn causes passing of blood:

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/urinary/c_rb_hematuria

Can you ring your vet about this? I would be more concerned about pinkish urine rather than orange coloured:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Back