• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seperate or add a friend

Niklovesrats

Warren Scout
So... if anyone remembers the first 2 rabbits I got were litter mate sisters! I then quickly got another female and acquired a male, I wanted to bond the male and female so had to get them neutered as the priority, I was saving up to get the girls done when they started squabbling a bit... well more one started chasing the other so I took them to get them spayed and at that point they were approx. 9 months old. I was hoping that once the hormones had settled they would be ok but one constantly chases the other, I don't think its all the time as if they are in a run it seems ok but it seems to happen whenever humans are around (guessing they associate seeing us as getting food!) I don't know whether to just leave it... separate and try to bond one of them with my single rex or leave as a pair and introduce Rex as the male????? Whats your thoughts???

How long ago were they spayed?? You may need to temporarily separate them then go through the bonding process again as the chasing may now have become habit and may eventually lead to fight out of fright/frustration. Separating them now will stop any fight which could permanently break their bond. If they are arguing over people/food etc I defo wouldn't introduce another rabbit as that could possibly cause a fight too. It can take along time for hormones to settle after a spay/castration and even neutered rabbits are more hormonal in spring. Maybe you could bond one them to your male (if he's castrated or he could irritate the girls wanting to do the deed) let that bond strengthen for a couple of months then try to introduce the other girl back to make them a trio. I think rabbits are defo happier in pairs/groups but that's just my personal opinion.

I have four rabbits that live in a group. Frosty (buck) is the head of the quad. He chases and nips all the others every feed time. He especially chases away his brother, Snowflake. They are all fine the rest of the time.

It could be that this is what you are seeing with your two.

Thanks for your replies, they were neutered Christmas time. It does only seem to happen when there are any humans around! Watching them from a distance in the run yesterday and there wasn't any chasing. If I approach their shed quietly all is quiet until they hear me or realise im there and then the chasing starts!!

Back