• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A side project gate

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
I'm building a really cheap gate to prevent the girls getting to our main back gate when in the garden. (They'd be able to squeeze under it).
At the moment we have a run positioned to block it, but if they tried they could very easily jump it.

So...
I'm using some old chip board and other scraps of wood we have.

Really easy plan and only need a couple tools. (Jigsaw, screwdriver, paint brush).

I've attached a picture of what the area looks like now. After this weekend I should have a very simple gate to show. (I'm not very DIY worthy so keeping a record of my attempt here)
6dabf6de72f585f939f36a827e46e5bf.jpg

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I'm building a really cheap gate to prevent the girls getting to our main back gate when in the garden. (They'd be able to squeeze under it).
At the moment we have a run positioned to block it, but if they tried they could very easily jump it.

So...
I'm using some old chip board and other scraps of wood we have.

Really easy plan and only need a couple tools. (Jigsaw, screwdriver, paint brush).

I've attached a picture of what the area looks like now. After this weekend I should have a very simple gate to show. (I'm not very DIY worthy so keeping a record of my attempt here)
6dabf6de72f585f939f36a827e46e5bf.jpg

Good luck dp- I look forward to seeing the results of your labours :D

Could you take the run to pieces and make the new gate out of them?
We would have but the run will be going to my mummy for use when she has my sisters g.pigs :)

I've got to finish painting it today, then will try to mount it.

When Louie was little we nailed a piece of wood along the gap at the bottom of the back gate. Stopped him getting under and we could still open the gate when needed :)

When Louie was little we nailed a piece of wood along the gap at the bottom of the back gate. Stopped him getting under and we could still open the gate when needed :)
Wish we could do that!
The gap is where the gravel is lower than the paving slabs, if we put wood there we wouldn't be able to open it & if we leveled with gravel I dread to think how quickly trouble maker phoebe would take to get out ;) lol

Board cut to size with a jigsaw and first coat of paint - will do the second in a bit.
Will hopefully get a stensil and cut a design in it to make it more pretty.
eba3d9cd1a577b6dacf94d46ee4f5dce.jpg

And its all gone wrong.
The screws have snapped and we now can't get them back out the wall .... :(
I give up trying to improve this house now.

It is basically done. We had to take a different approach though.

Attached pictures - got to finish painting it, and add a block to prevent swing back but otherwise its done.
(There will be an extra bit of wood fixed to bottom left corner to prevent gravel digging - because of the way this gate opens we'll be able to do that).
The plain battons across the front are where the hinges screw into - without this the weight of the wood would causr the hinges to pull away and the gate to fall off.
12baff5e02ce4026805fd729073e1a31.jpg
173873cbf9435583460cc3d01948bd3b.jpg
bbba592d55399e338b0f742ca70d4974.jpg
e8e1e95dc76f7fcfde965f6963b41ffe.jpg

That looks amazing, and very smart dp.

I love the way you gave up but then half an hour later were onto the next attempt. Not a giver upper you :D

Isn't that good! There is no way on earth I could have done it.:love:
OH gave me help as I kept getting grumpy... he was worried I was going to throw his tools around.
That looks amazing, and very smart dp.

I love the way you gave up but then half an hour later were onto the next attempt. Not a giver upper you :D
I give up, but then a little part gets annoyed that I have given up.
Just finishing the painting - once its back on I need to find a nice design to paint in the bit between the two battons - it'll just be a dark grey design.
I'm open to suggestions ;)

Back