• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts about movable runs?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

We are in the process of making some changes to the rabbit accommodation in our garden and have two runs, one of which we want to connect to our shed and the other to a playhouse.

Our other run which is 12ft x 6ft is on slabs, and works well, but we can't really lay any more (military home) for these new set ups. I'd prefer them to have access to grass anyway. The issue is that from past experience I know if a run is in place for too long then you eventually end up with just mud.

So, I'd like to be able to move the runs around the garden if possible, by using tunnels. Has anyone done this? Do you think this would work? I'm thinking maybe have the ability to move them to two or three different spots to allow the grass to recover.

If so, would I still be able to keep the runs secure from digging in or out (No foxes around here thankfully)? Do you think a skirt around the outside which would be attached and move with the run could work?

Hope it makes sense lol. Thanks x

My first rabbit had a run with mesh on the base, so we could detach it from the hutch, with or without bun (he stayed at the other end :)) and maneuvre it around the lawn. This is my plan with the buns' new run, to mesh the base. The meshed base isn't ideal, a lot of people say, but it you put it on 'loose' enough it'll sink and stretch into holes and rises in the lawn :thumb: We've got some bendy tunnels and tunnels that fit into each other that we can use to reach from the playhouse or hutch (depending what we decide, and if the hutch lasts that long!) to the lawn.

My first rabbit had a run with mesh on the base, so we could detach it from the hutch, with or without bun (he stayed at the other end :)) and maneuvre it around the lawn. This is my plan with the buns' new run, to mesh the base. The meshed base isn't ideal, a lot of people say, but it you put it on 'loose' enough it'll sink and stretch into holes and rises in the lawn :thumb: We've got some bendy tunnels and tunnels that fit into each other that we can use to reach from the playhouse or hutch (depending what we decide, and if the hutch lasts that long!) to the lawn.

Thanks K. Yes I have seen runs like this, and might have to consider this as an option unless I can come up with anything else.

I've been looking on Runarounds website and found they have examples of just the kind of thing I'm looking to do. Although it looks like it can be quite pricey, less so without the fancy doors x

I got my tunnels by scavenging roadworks! I was lucky that I was looking just at the time the tram extension construction works commenced in my immediate area, and road/roundabout improvements near my workplace at the time. Welfare also do tunnels: their connectors are less fancy but do the job fine (I made my own one thanks to another member here's useful photos, but also have a Runaround clasp from another member!). If you have roadworks near you, have a look for offcuts and ask nicely: I was lucky enough to get full lengths as well as offcuts! They cut easily with a standard hand saw :) Builders' merchants (the big trade ones like Selco) may also sell them but the bendy stuff comes in big reels and I doubt you need a few hundred feet! They might have offcuts too though, like carpet places have lino offcuts :)

Here's some examples:

Welfare-type connector:

11244734_10101583459218828_5835650106435777844_o.jpg

11147575_10101600486126768_4433432013333248005_o.jpg

The tube above goes into the run at the far corner from this angle: the other two tubes go between the run and hutch, and hutch and lawn. The run-hutch one has a Runaround connector. There's a spare tube on the right of the picture :) We don't let them out on the lawn except when we're home, hence the insecure attachment into the hutch! It goes into as open-topped pen (although these days it covers the whole lawn as we got a load of puppy pens).

11143511_10101897520886728_4138833607129386864_o.jpg

This one's a good example of how you can fit a straight tube into the bendy ones because the bendy ones, although still '6"' are often bigger bore :D

11705431_10101639631603918_2646130584554365843_o.jpg

And a good way to cover up any holes! I had to saw this one to fit it in the car (it's a full-length straight) but it worked well while we weren't using the hutch :)

11700938_10101639631578968_7220344445315259817_n.jpg

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these photos :) It's great to see what can be done.

We've had a chat this morning and plan to go back to Welfare hutches as we've used them before. We have a small tunnel connecting our big run and playhouse set up currently.

I was going to ask how you manage to get them out of the tunnels for any reason. My dh thinks he could drive a small remote control car down the pipe to usher them out :lol:

He's still not sure about protecting the base of the runs, so we will give that some more thought x

I've done this before when we were looking after our friends' guinea pigs for a few months. The first section of Runaround on the right is connected to the hutch and movable run, and the Runaround mesh cube and all the tunnels on the left are part of our rabbit setup (which then connects to another run and shed).
I had a 4 foot pipe and an 8 foot pipe, which could be joined together to make a 12 foot pipe, so I had lots of options for where to put the run and that worked well.

The run was pegged down, but not meshed. I did consider meshing under the run but decided against that as I didn't like the idea of little feet getting stuck in the mesh. I like to think if a fox had come, they would have scarpered home fairly swiftly.

Thanks esupi :)

I agree about the base and would prefer to not use wire if possible. I'm thinking about an anti dig skirt around the edges which would be fixed and move with the runs x

I got my tunnels by scavenging roadworks! I was lucky that I was looking just at the time the tram extension construction works commenced in my immediate area, and road/roundabout improvements near my workplace at the time. Welfare also do tunnels: their connectors are less fancy but do the job fine (I made my own one thanks to another member here's useful photos, but also have a Runaround clasp from another member!). If you have roadworks near you, have a look for offcuts and ask nicely: I was lucky enough to get full lengths as well as offcuts! They cut easily with a standard hand saw :) Builders' merchants (the big trade ones like Selco) may also sell them but the bendy stuff comes in big reels and I doubt you need a few hundred feet! They might have offcuts too though, like carpet places have lino offcuts :)

Here's some examples:

Welfare-type connector:

11244734_10101583459218828_5835650106435777844_o.jpg

11147575_10101600486126768_4433432013333248005_o.jpg

The tube above goes into the run at the far corner from this angle: the other two tubes go between the run and hutch, and hutch and lawn. The run-hutch one has a Runaround connector. There's a spare tube on the right of the picture :) We don't let them out on the lawn except when we're home, hence the insecure attachment into the hutch! It goes into as open-topped pen (although these days it covers the whole lawn as we got a load of puppy pens).

11143511_10101897520886728_4138833607129386864_o.jpg

This one's a good example of how you can fit a straight tube into the bendy ones because the bendy ones, although still '6"' are often bigger bore :D

11705431_10101639631603918_2646130584554365843_o.jpg

And a good way to cover up any holes! I had to saw this one to fit it in the car (it's a full-length straight) but it worked well while we weren't using the hutch :)

11700938_10101639631578968_7220344445315259817_n.jpg

KK - this looks awesome :D

KK - this looks awesome :D
Thanks! I can't take all the credit, OH Matt helped too, though he mostly deals with the heavy lifting and tubes :) He was the instigator behind the 'let's pen off the whole lawn' plan because he can step over it! I have to use the one entrance :S :lol:

Back