• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox trying to dig into run - help!!

FloLo

Alpha Buck
So recently I've had a fox in the garden on a few occasions over the past 2 weeks.
I had to chase it out the other day, difficult considering it was not scared of me!
I've tried to physically discourage it by making sure the gates are closed/locked and can't be pushed open.

But this morning on the edge of the run I saw a small hole in the molt and bolt box the buns have. As all the dirt/dug up grass is on the outside of the run I can only assume it was the fox trying to get in. I think, luckily, as it was trying to dig where the box was it couldn't get in the run.

I'm so worried now that it's going to try again and succeed!! :cry:
I don't know whether I can try and put the run on the small part of concrete we have (they would hate me) or maybe try and dig proof the run?
I feel even if i did it will try and find away to get to the bunnies. My friend had a fox kill all her chickens & ducks despite them being in a 'fox proof' aviary/coop.

Sounds like you have a persistant fox. Generally, they'll try a few times but will give up once they realise its not an easy meal. The issue is though, how difficult does it need to be?

Personally, the best way to fox proof them is to bring them indoors where the fox has no chance of getting to them.

If this isn't an option using a secure shed, or an unused garage may be another option.

Putting them onto concrete will prevent digging in, and you could use a run around tunnel to allow them access to a grass run during the day (be aware foxes hunt during the day too).
Ensuring the cage and runs are double meshed with a 16 or 19g welded mesh.
And using proper bolts on the cage that can be wiggled free.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a persistant fox. Generally, they'll try a few times but will give up once they realise its not an easy meal. The issue is though, how difficult does it need to be?

Personally, the best way to fox proof them is to bring them indoors where the fox has no chance of getting to them.

If this isn't an option using a secure shed, or an unused garage may be another option.

Putting them onto concrete will prevent digging in, and you could use a run around tunnel to allow them access to a grass run during the day (be aware foxes hunt during the day too).
Ensuring the cage and runs are double meshed with a 16 or 19g welded mesh.
And using proper bolts on the cage that can be wiggled free.

My dad said I should bring them indoors if I'm not at home/supervising them so it realises they aren't there anymore and give up. I have a indoor cage but it is quite small and only really used post-anaesthetic for Flo. Unfortunately don't have a shed I can put them in.

The only time I've seen the fox is in the mornings. the concrete area of my garden is not close to grass so I would just have to leave them on concrete but they could cope - they've eaten all the grass anyway!

My hutch & run are welfare hutch company ones so have big barrel bolts and welded mesh, thankfully.

Thank you for your reply :thumb:

My dad said I should bring them indoors if I'm not at home/supervising them so it realises they aren't there anymore and give up. I have a indoor cage but it is quite small and only really used post-anaesthetic for Flo. Unfortunately don't have a shed I can put them in.

The only time I've seen the fox is in the mornings. the concrete area of my garden is not close to grass so I would just have to leave them on concrete but they could cope - they've eaten all the grass anyway!

My hutch & run are welfare hutch company ones so have big barrel bolts and welded mesh, thankfully.

Thank you for your reply :thumb:
You can get puppy pens from Amazon which are flat pack. If you add a couple together it makes a nice bunny proof area to give the buns more room inside.

My rabbit enclosure has wire mesh underneath it, and that will stop anything digging in or out. Concrete works well.
For a temporary measure, you could consider putting wire mesh on the grass around the outside and the inside of the run :)
Hope this helps

I've put them on a concrete section of the garden, can't really have grass time because the garden isn't secure enough to let them out the run.

Only problem now is that they won't poop outside only in their hutch, whereas on the grass they always poop outside !

Hi,

I have serious problems with foxes in my area. I have lost 2 rabbits to them even with totally foxed proof runs and hutches and I was in the kitchen at the time metres from the back door. This was around 12 years ago and foxes still come into my garden and sniff around my hutches so I just can't chance it anymore :(

My only solution now is for my rabbits to be house rabbits and when the weather is nice enough for them to go outside they either go for a walk on their harness or go in their run but I am there the whole time watching them, I don't even leave them alone for 5 minutes as I know how quickly it will happen again :(

Hi,

I have serious problems with foxes in my area. I have lost 2 rabbits to them even with totally foxed proof runs and hutches and I was in the kitchen at the time metres from the back door. This was around 12 years ago and foxes still come into my garden and sniff around my hutches so I just can't chance it anymore :(

My only solution now is for my rabbits to be house rabbits and when the weather is nice enough for them to go outside they either go for a walk on their harness or go in their run but I am there the whole time watching them, I don't even leave them alone for 5 minutes as I know how quickly it will happen again :(

Oh no such a shame :(
The main thing is that they are safe! Mine can't live indoors (rented accommodation, also think Tubsy would hate it).
Luckily foxes have never been a problem where I live, until now. It hasn't reappeared that I know of since I've moved the rabbits onto concrete. It's attempt at digging in the run was little, they are quite lazy and I hope now that I've made it ten times as hard to get to the rabbits it will go find an easier meal elsewhere!

Back