• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP - Cat advice please

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi everyone.

Some advice please. In this glorious weather I would usually have the bunnies in their run on the grass all day. However, our new neighbours have a cat that won't leave them alone. The run mesh is wide enough to to get his paw through and he's constantly all over the run. Yesterday I chased him off with the hose pipe but it's not bothered him because he's back again today.

I've put them back in their hutch because they're terrified of him. Sat quivering in the corner of the run :( I can't watch that so I've put them away.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with this? I can't ask next door to keep him in because it's not fair on the cat.

I'm at a loss :(

Mine are in an open-topped pen so I sit with them all day, but they have a 24hr run too: putting sticks on the top of the run stopped the neighbour's one jumping on top for us. After a while, the cat just got bored. He still comes round and tries to 'play', but the bunnies aren't so scared anymore and will even sit in the middle of the run while he's there, providing the food is good enough! It took a couple of weks for them to acclimatise to each other. Putting some mesh around the run will stop the cat getting its paw through (I've not done that but had considered it if they didn't learn to 'get on' as such). Putting sticks all the way round works well too. We have loads of sticks to hand because we forage for bramble, but even garden canes would probably work: if you lay them so that they're 'loose' the cat will move them if it jumps and scare itself :thumb:

The bunnies are new and exciting to the cat. I've found that making them 'routine' is a lot less scary for everyone involved!

ETA: here are some threads detailing my experiences: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-the-rabbits&p=6863902&viewfull=1#post6863902, http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?461855-Bunnies-and-the-Bandit and http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...g-my-bunnies-lawn-time-U-D-Cat-and-bunny-pics

Last edited:
Mine are in an open-topped pen so I sit with them all day, but they have a 24hr run too: putting sticks on the top of the run stopped the neighbour's one jumping on top for us. After a while, the cat just got bored. He still comes round and tries to 'play', but the bunnies aren't so scared anymore and will even sit in the middle of the run while he's there, providing the food is good enough! It took a couple of weks for them to acclimatise to each other. Putting some mesh around the run will stop the cat getting its paw through (I've not done that but had considered it if they didn't learn to 'get on' as such). Putting sticks all the way round works well too. We have loads of sticks to hand because we forage for bramble, but even garden canes would probably work: if you lay them so that they're 'loose' the cat will move them if it jumps and scare itself :thumb:

The bunnies are new and exciting to the cat. I've found that making them 'routine' is a lot less scary for everyone involved!

ETA: here are some threads detailing my experiences: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-the-rabbits&p=6863902&viewfull=1#post6863902, http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?461855-Bunnies-and-the-Bandit and http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...g-my-bunnies-lawn-time-U-D-Cat-and-bunny-pics

Thank you for the comprehensive reply! I've put them back out and put a box in with them to hide in case he returns. The run is pyramid shaped so he can't get on top but he sticks his paws in the side so I've put some sticks against it to try and ward him off! He's not been back yet but I'm keeping an eye out. Hopefully he will get bored like you say. He got bored of watching them in the hutch eventually, once he realised he couldn't get to them

Hi Babsie. I'm on my phone so can't upload one easily but it's toblerone type shape with wire mesh, each square approx one inch in size

Ok - I know the ones you mean. Your rabbits would be happier, and safer, in a rectangular run. Although sold as suitable for rabbits, they really are not, except for the odd half hour. I assume your hutch is on paving, so the best option would be to invest in a run which would be attached to the hutch permanently - so your rabbits could exercise whenever they pleased. The recommendations are a (minimum) hutch of 6ft x 2ft, and 8ft x 4ft for the permanently attached run. (They both also need to be tall enough for your rabbits to stand on tippy toes on their hind legs). There are some very good examples of both hutches and runs in the outside housing section.

Hi there. I wonder about making a frame (same size as the base measurements of the run) out of strong planks and then attach the run onto the top, so that the wooden sides would give the buns some protection from the cat (also wind, slanty rain etc..:) I'd try and attach some extra mesh up the sides of the run as well. Could even add some cladding to create a whole section where cat can't see them.

It's possibly useful that the top isnt flat, e.g. less desirable for cat to lie on it and torment them from up high.

Good luck.

It's looking like we could have a similar problem. A young cat has recently started visiting our garden it wandered into the front of the rabbit shed (it has a divider just inside so its impossible for them to get in) and ive seen it watching them through the mesh.

I was surprised to see though that the rabbits actually seemed to go towards the cat like they were quite inquisitive and when I turned around one of the rabbits was nose to nose with the cat (the mesh is small). I've never had cats, so I don't know if this is unusual for rabbits. The cat is really friendly and won't leave me alone either when I'm out there.

I haven't had to take any action yet, but will be monitoring things x

You could cover the lower half of the run mesh with either a much smaller mesh (weldmesh comes in approx 0.5" squares) or with something more solid (eg corrugated plastic sheet, perspex sheet or twinwall polycarbonate sheet). They can be attached with garden wire or cable ties onto the existing mesh - you will have to drill (or melt) holes in the sheeting first.

It's looking like we could have a similar problem. A young cat has recently started visiting our garden it wandered into the front of the rabbit shed (it has a divider just inside so its impossible for them to get in) and ive seen it watching them through the mesh.

I was surprised to see though that the rabbits actually seemed to go towards the cat like they were quite inquisitive and when I turned around one of the rabbits was nose to nose with the cat (the mesh is small). I've never had cats, so I don't know if this is unusual for rabbits. The cat is really friendly and won't leave me alone either when I'm out there.

I haven't had to take any action yet, but will be monitoring things x
One of the neighbour's cats, Frank, is much less ineterested in the buns, but did stop by them when they were out in the pen. Aboleth tries to be friends: she tried with Bandit, went towards him but he put a paw out to play and she backed off (she reverses very fast! :shock:), but Frank and Aboleth touched noses although maybe Aboleth didn't like the smell as she ran off straight away :lol: Frank's lovely, and the buns know he's the disinterested one, and both he and bun-terror Bandit are often friendly to me and OH :)

Hi there. I wonder about making a frame (same size as the base measurements of the run) out of strong planks and then attach the run onto the top, so that the wooden sides would give the buns some protection from the cat (also wind, slanty rain etc..:) I'd try and attach some extra mesh up the sides of the run as well. Could even add some cladding to create a whole section where cat can't see them.
I did try putting a thing all the way round the run to stop them seing the cat and vice-versa, but Lopsy just spent ALL his time sat on the bricks so he could see out :( So cutting off all the view is, IMO, the worst thing to do as buns (esp. lops?) rely on being able to see things first, especially if they're aware something might be out there.

You need a bunny that chases cats away. It's really funny to watch and very effective.
Seriously, though - cat claws can do a lot of damage with a casual swipe through the mesh. For an open topped run, even a fine pea netting secured over the top will help to deter cats - but it's not that secure so don't rely on it to keep all predators out. If it sags or something jumps on it, there is also the risk of a rabbit getting tangled up with possible broken leg, strangulation, panic / shock, etc.

No-one, apart from me, has commented on the Toblerone shaped run - which, IMO, is part of the problem.

Back