• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding post-neuter

capable

Mama Doe
Hi all I'm looking for some advice re. reintroducing my buns now that they're both neutered.

William and Jack are supposedly litter-mates, and I was told they're about 3.5 years when I rehomed them back in the Autumn. They were both in bad condition, but as they improved William started to chase Jack and wouldn't let him out of 1 corner of the run. They're outdoor buns, but to my knowledge it never escalated to scuffles, but I made the decision to separate them until they were neutered.

They're now 9 weeks post-op, and I've got time off uni for Easter to maybe try to rebond them? Several questions so far -

Is 9 weeks long enough, or should I wait for the 12?
I've got a small puppy pen that was used by William for a couple of days, how would I go about neutralising it? Or could I do it in the bath?
Should the pen be used inside or out? Theyre outdoor rabbits, but they'll need to be watched, and it's not that warm out there!

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll add to it!

9 weeks should be long enough. You can use the puppy pen, just make sure it is cleaned, and then spray or wipe with vinegar/water diluted 50/50. I wouldn't recommend bonding in the bath personally.

you need to be watching them all the time, and be able to sleep next to the pen so you can intervene in case of scuffles. So it might be best to do it indoors :thumb:

There is an excellent video in the bonding sticky by mischief and tinkers mum, it's of a trio bond but the principles are the same.

Good luck :thumb:

Thanks Zoobec! My spare room is the coolest in the house, and has a futon I can crash on, only it was also used by William for a few days while he recovered from the neuter. It's laminate flooring, so I assume a mild bleach mopping plus vinegar treatment should remove any smells?

Jack is well litter trained, and Will isn't, so I was going to cover the floor in puppy pads and scatter hay all over so they can nibble, with no other pellets or greens, and with multiple water bottles. Does that sound ok? And no other toys or hidey holes?

Hi all I'm looking for some advice re. reintroducing my buns now that they're both neutered.

William and Jack are supposedly litter-mates, and I was told they're about 3.5 years when I rehomed them back in the Autumn. They were both in bad condition, but as they improved William started to chase Jack and wouldn't let him out of 1 corner of the run. They're outdoor buns, but to my knowledge it never escalated to scuffles, but I made the decision to separate them until they were neutered.

They're now 9 weeks post-op, and I've got time off uni for Easter to maybe try to rebond them? Several questions so far -

Is 9 weeks long enough, or should I wait for the 12?
I've got a small puppy pen that was used by William for a couple of days, how would I go about neutralising it? Or could I do it in the bath?
Should the pen be used inside or out? Theyre outdoor rabbits, but they'll need to be watched, and it's not that warm out there!

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll add to it!

Hi there :wave:

9 weeks *should* be long enough, although bear in mind that Spring is the hardest season to bond bunnies in for the reason of Spring Fever. Neutered rabbits still have some hormone elevations in Spring but it's only for a few weeks.

So just be kind to yourself during the bonding, and perhaps have some wine on standby? :)

Back