Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please - sick rabbit, vet cannot resolve

I agree with the thoughts on injectable penicillin. It is tolerated quite well by a lot of rabbits. Of course, there is a risk, as with any antibiotic but it can be very effective when used. It's the "go to" antibiotic my vet uses when there is abscess or a fast moving infection.
    I think it gets a bad rap in regards to rabbits because of oral penicillins being such a problem for their gut flora.
    It would be fortunate if Tom's condition is syphilis rather then the SA! It's treatable. But it does need the right type of penicillin and duration to really knock it on the head.

Hopefully the vets will be able to accurately diagnose and treat Tom. Very possible he has multiply things going on. EC, syph, mite etc can all lie dormant then become a problem when a rabbit ages or their immune system becomes taxed for whatever reason. Opportunistic parasites and/or bacteria make their presence known.

I had a thought when I read that Toffee seemed a bit out of sorts too... could you be having a visitor in the yard that is causing some stress to both buns? Cat? Fox? Other?

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    I agree with the thoughts on injectable penicillin. It is tolerated quite well by a lot of rabbits. Of course, there is a risk, as with any antibiotic but it can be very effective when used. It's the "go to" antibiotic my vet uses when there is abscess or a fast moving infection.
    I think it gets a bad rap in regards to rabbits because of oral penicillins being such a problem for their gut flora.
    It would be fortunate if Tom's condition is syphilis rather then the SA! It's treatable. But it does need the right type of penicillin and duration to really knock it on the head.

Hopefully the vets will be able to accurately diagnose and treat Tom. Very possible he has multiply things going on. EC, syph, mite etc can all lie dormant then become a problem when a rabbit ages or their immune system becomes taxed for whatever reason. Opportunistic parasites and/or bacteria make their presence known.

I had a thought when I read that Toffee seemed a bit out of sorts too... could you be having a visitor in the yard that is causing some stress to both buns? Cat? Fox? Other?
    We did get fox footprints on the top of the hutch when we first got them around 4 years ago but nothing obvious since. The rabbits are in a big hutch with lots of it covered over by plastic sheet (weather and wind protection) so there are plenty of hiding places. We had been giving both rabbits oral antibiotics twice a day for 5 days when Tom's really bad symptoms started, so we'd wondered whether the stress of that had triggered something.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    A pinch of porridge oats morning and night, high calorie pellets meant for young rabbits, alfalfa hay (unless there's bladder sludge suspected), a few sunflower seeds ....
    Thanks. Tom isn't eating hay at the moment: we've tried 3 different varieties and he's not interested. Grass yes, hay no. I've been looking for a very green Timothy Hay that he used to like but cant find it. What is bladder sludge - that's not been mentioned. He does still have diarrhoea though so something to block that up too would be good.
    Are the porridge oats cooked first ?

Quote Originally Posted by ToffTom View Post
    Thanks. Tom isn't eating hay at the moment: we've tried 3 different varieties and he's not interested. Grass yes, hay no. I've been looking for a very green Timothy Hay that he used to like but cant find it. What is bladder sludge - that's not been mentioned. He does still have diarrhoea though so something to block that up too would be good.
    Are the porridge oats cooked first ?

Bladder sludge is a build up of excess calcium in the bladder:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...ies/Sludge.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...ts/calcium.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...nd-rabbit-food

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...t-disease/view
    (click at the bottom for a PDF form of the article)

Lots of reading matter there - well you did ask!

Grass is great - it's hay with the moisture retained

No, you don't have to cook the oats first. Some people do - I never have

Will try that thanks. This forum and the support from you guys is brilliant. Many thanks !

Tom very much likes porridge it seems. Just gave him a flat teaspoon of oats, lightly soaked before hand. Yum.

Tom has really gooey, sticky discharge from his eyes. Think the Baytril knocked it originally but it has been back for several days and now is quite noticeable. Anyone got any good ways of dealing with it ?

Wise Old Thumper

Tom has really gooey, sticky discharge from his eyes. Think the Baytril knocked it originally but it has been back for several days and now is quite noticeable. Anyone got any good ways of dealing with it ?
    Gently bathing his eyes with cooled boiled water would remove the 'gunk' but he may also require antibiotic eye drops if there is an active bacterial infection. When is Tom due back at the Vets ? Does he still have diarrhoea ?

Hi there

Get some cooled boiled water, and make a compress out of a cotton pad. Gently wipe it away. If it seems to be getting worse, keep the water a little bit warm and hold it over the closed eye to loosen debris and clear it away

Tom very much likes porridge it seems. Just gave him a flat teaspoon of oats, lightly soaked before hand. Yum.