Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Help please - sick rabbit, vet cannot resolve

Quote Originally Posted by ToffTom View Post
    Yes, he had blood taken over a week ago. Know they tested for EC and we are waiting for the Syphallis test back tomorrow or Friday. He is on Panacur. Was quite frustrated when I found out that the treatment prescribed for EC was Panacur. We could have given him that as a matter of course weeks ago - it's available in the local pet supplies store. Why did we wait for a test result for EC. The Panacur box says it is recommended that it be administered once every two years routinely anyway. We live and learn.

So I am assuming his kidneys were fine? And liver?

I don't usually get my rabbits tested for E.C. before treating them but all vets are different. You can't be expected to know everything, that's what we pay them for - to cover all bases for us.

You seem to be waiting a long time for test results but there again, the test for syphilis can take up to 12 weeks to get the result.

There are some graphic images here, but it's about syphilis - I don't know whether it reflects Tom in any way?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...l/Syphilis.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    So I am assuming his kidneys were fine? And liver?

I don't usually get my rabbits tested for E.C. before treating them but all vets are different. You can't be expected to know everything, that's what we pay them for - to cover all bases for us.

You seem to be waiting a long time for test results but there again, the test for syphilis can take up to 12 weeks to get the result.

There are some graphic images here, but it's about syphilis - I don't know whether it reflects Tom in any way?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...l/Syphilis.htm
    Kidneys came back as being slightly down. Vet said that could be another indication of EC as it 'likes' kidneys. Nothing else yet. Toffee and Tom snuggled up together for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by ToffTom View Post
    Kidneys came back as being slightly down. Vet said that could be another indication of EC as it 'likes' kidneys. Nothing else yet. Toffee and Tom snuggled up together for the night.

I hope you get some peace yourself. You are trying so hard

I am sending you and Tom some more vibes. You are doing all the right things and he has different meds, so it may just take a bit more time to see results.

Warren Veteran

I've not commented on this thread about a possible diagnosis for Tom as I haven't had experience with many of the illnesses suggested.

I do have a vaccinated rabbit , who has had Myx though. And I also have that rabbit's son, who has been diagnosed with Syphilis twice. The second time my vet was unable to confirm Syphilis as a definite diagnosis and at first it was looking more like Myx. I think that both Syphilis and Myx in a vaccinated rabbit can produce atypical symptoms, so it is not always easy.

In all of these three periods of illness though with my rabbits, my vet did not do any tests. She prescribed injectable Penicillin on all three occasions, judging that it would probably help with the suspected diagnosis each time. On the first occasion with Syphilis my rabbit was quite unwell and his brother had also just suddenly died with unconfirmed EC. Therefore during this first occasion, all three of my rabbits were also treated with Panacur.

I'm sharing this, as in my view, if it is likely that you are going to have to wait a long time for test results for Syphilis, I personally would be wanting to try Penicillin injections. All three of my rabbits have had to have them for various illnesses, in addition to the ones mentioned, and I have never had any problems with diarrhoea.