• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bonding - update, urgent help/advice needed please!!!

It did not go so well this evening, Gary began by nipping at Betty straight away. I stopped him from doing that so then he just ignored her when he sat near her she put her head under him to be groomed but he just pretended she wasn't there. She mounted him a couple of times which he put up with but when she got off he went for her again. Betty seems stressed and upset, is this normal? I just get the impression that he really doesn't like her. How do I know when to call it a day??

As Betty seems to want to be groomed and Gary is not obliging you could try the mashed banana on the head trick. A blob of squidged banana on the top of the head of the Bunny demanading a groom can make the non compliant Rabbit do as asked. It is not a 100% guaranteed success, but I have had several first hand experiences of it working. I used a blob of Veggie Baby Food though as I am yet to have a Rabbit who actually likes banana ! :roll:

Some nipping, chasing and fur pulling is normal. I know it can be very nerve racking for us and most people will freely admit that. So dont feel that you are doing anything wrong. I posted a few links about bonding in another thread a couple of days ago

Hi, how are the buns today? Unless they are really fighting, a lot of this is about your own nerves. They will have to sort their hierarchy and this will involve some fur pulling and nips. That's normal. You'll know if they really fight!
Hope things have calmed down?

Hello, thanks for your messages and support. I tried for another 2 days with Betty and Gary but it just was not going well. If I was more experienced I might have left it longer or done things differently. It probably was more my nerves than anything but i didn't like seeing Betty so harassed and upset. Maybe i'm too soft, rabbit bonding is hardcore stuff! Anyway I reluctantly (and tearfully) returned Gary and met with a lady who had an older, more chilled out rabbit. She was more experienced with binding rabbits than me and I took Betty there for a date and she and Bertie got on really well. They have been having a competition to see who can hump the most but it has all been so good natured and they're getting on really well. Thank you for all the helpful advice and links. xx

Hello, thanks for your messages and support. I tried for another 2 days with Betty and Gary but it just was not going well. If I was more experienced I might have left it longer or done things differently. It probably was more my nerves than anything but i didn't like seeing Betty so harassed and upset. Maybe i'm too soft, rabbit bonding is hardcore stuff! Anyway I reluctantly (and tearfully) returned Gary and met with a lady who had an older, more chilled out rabbit. She was more experienced with binding rabbits than me and I took Betty there for a date and she and Bertie got on really well. They have been having a competition to see who can hump the most but it has all been so good natured and they're getting on really well. Thank you for all the helpful advice and links. xx

With the best will in the world sometimes a bond is just not to be. IMO it is far better to find a more suitable pairing than to try to force two Rabbits to live together when they just do not get on. I know how I'd feel if I was forced to share my personal space with someone who got right up my nose !! :lol:

Hopefully Betty and the new date will work out well xx

Ah you're welcome :)

I think it's really hard on the nerves if you're not used to bonding.

You did the right thing for you, and Gary. Are Betty and Bertie together now?

(well matched names! :lol:)

Hi, it's a hard decision to return a bun but really it has to work for everyone. Gary will find a new home and you've now got Bertie! Hope this one is easier , let us know how it goes x

It's actually going really well, there has been some grooming and they are sitting together a lot. there has been quite a lot of humping and a little bit of chasing but it's been a bit half hearted. So far he seems to be a really laid back bunny and is treating Betty like a lady (if treating her like a lady means half heartedly humping her then kissing her forehead...she could do worse :D )

It's actually going really well, there has been some grooming and they are sitting together a lot. there has been quite a lot of humping and a little bit of chasing but it's been a bit half hearted. So far he seems to be a really laid back bunny and is treating Betty like a lady (if treating her like a lady means half heartedly humping her then kissing her forehead...she could do worse :D )

Good stuff :D

Back