• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - Grooming then fight :(

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Started bonding 7.5 year old Neutered Oliver and 5 year old Darcy (spayed 4 weeks ago) yesterday evening. All went well in neutral area and alot of ignoring. All last night Oliver chases Darcy round the pen trying to mount her.Today Darcy groomed Olivers head for about 5 mins, he gave her the odd groom back. Later Today in the pen she must have had enough of him chasing her and attacked him and they were viciously locked onto one another. I have separated them and no injuries. She is 1Kg bigger and I am afraid of her hurting him. After this Oliver left the room and went down to sleep in his usual place. He doesn't seem that interested to go back into the room where she is. I know it's early days, but what if Oliver doesnt want a companion? ?

Started bonding 7.5 year old Neutered Oliver and 5 year old Darcy (spayed 4 weeks ago) yesterday evening. All went well in neutral area and alot of ignoring. All last night Oliver chases Darcy round the pen trying to mount her.Today Darcy groomed Olivers head for about 5 mins, he gave her the odd groom back. Later Today in the pen she must have had enough of him chasing her and attacked him and they were viciously locked onto one another. I have separated them and no injuries. She is 1Kg bigger and I am afraid of her hurting him. After this Oliver left the room and went down to sleep in his usual place. He doesn't seem that interested to go back into the room where she is. I know it's early days, but what if Oliver doesnt want a companion? ?

It is really early days and new Bunny has had a lot to adjust to. Personally I would let her chill out on her own for a few days before attempting to bond her. This will also enable you to get to know her individual behaviour and what is 'normal' for her. Her hormones will still not have fully settled down after her spay, so that may contribute to any 'confrontational' behaviour. I would then try introducing her to Oliver again in a very small and totally neutral area. Put Oliver into the bonding area first, Does are likely to be a lot more territorial than Bucks.

Nicky, I'm sorry to hear this :(

Females more or less get over their hormonal stuff by 4 weeks, but of course it's Spring Time and one of the most difficult times for rabbit bonding - Spring Fever and all that.

I think you may be able to try again, maybe in 3/4 days. Neutralise the space, make it look a bit different. Some people have had good success with a smaller space - I don't know how big the space is you're using to bond?

When they are together, they should stay together and not be able to 'escape'. So when you try again, perhaps make it smaller. I think you can give it another try :)

Nicky - a bit of light-hearted stuff ....

I was just reading an article about bonding (I used to write articles on bonding for Rabbiting On :lol:)

Well this was their advice ....

DO NOT SEEK ADVICE FROM RANDOM PEOPLE ONLINE.There are a LOT of well-meaning people with very bad advice. The desire to feel important is just too alluring to so many people.

I had to laugh :lol:

Lots more good luck xx

Thanks guys, was quite upset when this had been going so well. I had them in a dog pen. It has 6 panels but I was only using 4 which are about 1 meter long. I will take your advice and try again in a few days after neutralising everything and changing it about.

I was very lucky my 4 bonded relatively easy all those years ago do its quite nerve wrecking now.

Jane, forgot to add, Rex fur is UNREAL !! I have never felt anything so soft before.

Max I am laughing about the Internet advice ! I never thought of it that way lol

Thanks guys, was quite upset when this had been going so well. I had them in a dog pen. It has 6 panels but I was only using 4 which are about 1 meter long. I will take your advice and try again in a few days after neutralising everything and changing it about.

I was very lucky my 4 bonded relatively easy all those years ago do its quite nerve wrecking now.

Jane, forgot to add, Rex fur is UNREAL !! I have never felt anything so soft before.

Max I am laughing about the Internet advice ! I never thought of it that way lol

Nicky - I'm glad you've posted back and you haven't given up heart.

Give yourself a little break - it sounds fairly stressful on you, let alone the buns! Have you got the wine handy? :)

Internet - yes we are all random, apparently. some moreso than others, I would think :lol:

It is wonderful isn't it :love: I am really looking forward to seeing some pics of your new girl xx

Yes I was panicking if om honest . She is in her pen on her own in the living room. But I know it's very early days. Our living room is quite big and was our neutral room. Will it be ok to use same room but different area? Do u think bunny dates would be better than intense bonding ?? And would it be a good idea to keep her in the kitchen in a pen when not bonding so Oliver gets used to her being their ?? Though I don't think he minds her being there it's just she got fed up with his pestering!

Jane , I will try and arrange to get pics up soon as Joey and Boo very kindly offered to upload them. Darcy truely is beautiful but such delicate features.

Yes I was panicking if om honest . She is in her pen on her own in the living room. But I know it's very early days. Our living room is quite big and was our neutral room. Will it be ok to use same room but different area? Do u think bunny dates would be better than intense bonding ?? And would it be a good idea to keep her in the kitchen in a pen when not bonding so Oliver gets used to her being their ?? Though I don't think he minds her being there it's just she got fed up with his pestering!

Jane , I will try and arrange to get pics up soon as Joey and Boo very kindly offered to upload them. Darcy truely is beautiful but such delicate features.

I tend to use different bonding strategies according to the needs of the specific Rabbits. I have used 'Dating' on occasions and whilst it is usually a longer drawn out process it has worked. I have also kept two Rabbits side by side in enclosures and then bonded them in another area. I would only not keep two pre-bond Rabbits near each other if they were showing aggression toward each other through the mesh panel dividing them.

The only hard and fast rule I personally always adhere to is that I never use fear inducing situations to bond. For example I would not put two Rabbits in a bath tub or take them on car journeys. Many people do though, it is just not something that sits well with me.

Darcy sounds gorgeous and I really hope that things work out OK for her and Oliver xx

ETA- Not sure if this book would be of interest

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

Last edited:

Everyone has their own ideas on bonding ... There is some info in these articles:

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important-word-in-bonding-is-patience/

http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbits-in-a-group-situation/

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

I bond in my kitchen, then move them to the 'not so neutral' rest of the house. By then the bond is complete and all is OK.

Love to see Darcy. She sounds gorgeous :love:

Thanks guys for these very helpful links, we have still been keeping them separt and r going to try bon ding again in the garage this evening. Darcy has calmed alot since we got her and is a real snuggle bun ! She sat snuggled into my crook of my arm last night fir an hour being petted while I watched Corrie! Though Oliver was in the other room thumping his foot in jealousy I think! So I felt bad. If she goes to attack him viciously again this evening I am not sure I want to risk Oliver getting hurt and I think I might be afraid to chance him with her again but we will give it one more go this evening. I gave really fallen for her and want this to work but Oliver has to come first x

I hope it goes well this evening & they are nice & calm. I'm jealous you get bunny snuggles, Darcy sounds lovely .

Yes I find it strange to have a bun who lover cuddles for ages. Oliver let's me hug him for a few mimutes before he gently digs my shoulder looking down. He is so cute I could just eat him !! I sent those pics via etsy. Hope that's OK.

posting pics on behalf of nickybuny

introducing the gorgeous Darcy

darcy%202_zpsutrsx43e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

& the very lovable Oliver :love:

oliver%202_zpspcdlsrpz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(I cropped the photos a little to give us more bunny, I hope that's ok)

Put them both in very neutral pen today and both went for each other :( :( guys it's not going to work :( I love her already , how am I going to let her go ?? She is like the bestest, cuddliest girl :(:( Oliver stomped and ran under the sofa. He wasn't happy. I can't risk putting the two of them together again.

Put them both in very neutral pen today and both went for each other :( :( guys it's not going to work :( I love her already , how am I going to let her go ?? She is like the bestest, cuddliest girl :(:( Oliver stomped and ran under the sofa. He wasn't happy. I can't risk putting the two of them together again.

aww, I'm so sorry :( You have to go with your gut x

Nicky I am so sorry to hear this :(

I'm sorry if you've answered this already - but can the Rescue help out with bonding at all?

Back