• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental spurs diet *update- now gi stasis*

He had a bit of tummy bother, vet said it shudnt be his teeth as the spurs last time were only minor and that was only about 6weeks ago. So hes had some meds to get him back on track.

I think maybe the richness of the grass caused it, he did get a lot which hes bn fine with in the last 2weeks but maybe he ate some leftovers this morning which had wilted a bit??? Could that cause gas??
Possibly if he has a sensitive tummy anyway

He had a bit of tummy bother, vet said it shudnt be his teeth as the spurs last time were only minor and that was only about 6weeks ago. So hes had some meds to get him back on track.

I think maybe the richness of the grass caused it, he did get a lot which hes bn fine with in the last 2weeks but maybe he ate some leftovers this morning which had wilted a bit??? Could that cause gas??

Doubtful if he's been fine with grass before. Grass wilting and drying is only a precursor to hay, unless it was lawn clippings which ferment quickly.

I popped home at lunchtime and he ate 2 pellets and a couple of bites of apple. I had hoped hed be much improved as he got his meds 3 hours prior!

I'm really worried about him! What could of caused this??

I popped home at lunchtime and he ate 2 pellets and a couple of bites of apple. I had hoped hed be much improved as he got his meds 3 hours prior!

I'm really worried about him! What could of caused this??

It's often difficult and impossible to pinpoint why our bunnies go into stasis.

The important thing is to get them out of it asap :)

Thank you so much for coming back to me on this mightymax!

Ok so peter is keen to eat but then stops after 2 or 3 mouthfuls. Called the vet and she said its v.unlikely to be his teeth as he got them done just before easter and the spurs were so tiny and his natural teeth alignment is good.

She thinks it cud just be pain in his tummy when he starts eating again......

He has me v.worried! Im going to try and sneak more meds into him on banana. If hes as bad 2moro do you think he should get sedated to see his teeth or is it too soon after the colic????

Sorry to randomly add in.
You say the last dental was 6 weeks ago, this is how often Phoebe was having her dental treatment carried out.
Sometimes a tiny spur can cause more trouble than giant spurs, just depends on how they've grown.

Did you take him into the vets or was it just a phone call?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ok so peter is keen to eat but then stops after 2 or 3 mouthfuls. Called the vet and she said its v.unlikely to be his teeth as he got them done just before easter and the spurs were so tiny and his natural teeth alignment is good.

He has me v.worried! Im going to try and sneak more meds into him on banana. If hes as bad 2moro do you think he should get sedated to see his teeth or is it too soon after the colic????

Have you tried offering softened pellets? It's a good sign that he's keen to eat but being keen to eat then stopping is a sign of painful teeth

Welcome!

What is he eating - i.e. what are the 2/3 mouthfuls before he stops? I agree with your vet, it's unlikely to be teeth. But it can't be completely ruled out. It would be awful if it were though, you don't want a lifetime of dentals. Nor does Peter :(

What meds is he on at the moment? When did the vet last see him?
(sorry if you've said - please remind me!)

Has he been given liquid recovery food? Or mashed pellets? Keeping him eating is one of the most important things

Hello! Peter is a lot brighter! Literally he is back bouncing on the bed! He ran over to me this morning and he is beginning to poop and eat as normal.

I gave him 1ml zantac on mashed banana yesterday about 5pm and since then he has started eating.

I would find it strange if it was his teeth as on Monday he ate a big pile of grass and i sat and watched him for about 10minutes and he didnt stop! And like i said, his teeth are all aligned ok, the reason he got little spurs is because i had him too spoilt with herbs and veg!

Bunnies are such a worry!!!!

Hello! Peter is a lot brighter! Literally he is back bouncing on the bed! He ran over to me this morning and he is beginning to poop and eat as normal.

I gave him 1ml zantac on mashed banana yesterday about 5pm and since then he has started eating.

I would find it strange if it was his teeth as on Monday he ate a big pile of grass and i sat and watched him for about 10minutes and he didnt stop! And like i said, his teeth are all aligned ok, the reason he got little spurs is because i had him too spoilt with herbs and veg!

Glad to hear he's doing better!

So glad to hear this good news! :D

Hmmm he is acting odd again....still eating but v.quiet. He is not touching his hay, only fresh stuff....gave him some more meds and he ate it all up.

I am not convinced his teeth are ok either, tho i dont know how a rabbit with proper alignment and with such tiny spurs the last time and plenty of grass and readigrass cud require a dental after 6 or 7weeks!!!!?

I have nvr wormed him, is this something else i need to do?

Hmmm he is acting odd again....still eating but v.quiet. He is not touching his hay, only fresh stuff....gave him some more meds and he ate it all up.

I am not convinced his teeth are ok either, tho i dont know how a rabbit with proper alignment and with such tiny spurs the last time and plenty of grass and readigrass cud require a dental after 6 or 7weeks!!!!?

Talk to your vet about the teeth and worming.

I wouldn't try to guess what's going on, and we've limited info to give you, not being able to see your rabbit. And of course not being vets ourselves!

I agree, dental sounds unlikely, but you should probably rule it out ..

I would 100% get his teeth checked, even if you don't think it's the cause

Ive left peter in for a dental incase that is the bother. Picking him up at 2pm. His last dental was 7th april (only 5 weeks ago) and hes been eating readigrass and grass with hardly any veg and about 1/2 to 3/4 egg cup of pellets. Hes a french lop so i dont think thats excessive. So i am wondering if the vet missed something the last time....though she is a very experienced rabbit vet who deals with all the bunnies from the local rescues and did 7years in NYC spealising in rabbits.

Guess il find out soon enough!

Ive left peter in for a dental incase that is the bother. Picking him up at 2pm. His last dental was 7th april (only 5 weeks ago) and hes been eating readigrass and grass with hardly any veg and about 1/2 to 3/4 egg cup of pellets. Hes a french lop so i dont think thats excessive. So i am wondering if the vet missed something the last time....though she is a very experienced rabbit vet who deals with all the bunnies from the local rescues and did 7years in NYC spealising in rabbits.

Hope it goes ok! She does sound like a very good vet from what you've said

Hope you've already got your answer!

Lots of vibes fort a swift recovery x

His teeth are perfect so no filing required! She thinks its just a bit of gas from tuesday! Hes not keen to eat hay so i may have to remove his pellets completely once hes recovered in a day or so to get him back to hay again!

He was running circles round me this morning for pellets but refusing hay. Think hes being a bit of a diva!

His teeth are perfect so no filing required! She thinks its just a bit of gas from tuesday! Hes not keen to eat hay so i may have to remove his pellets completely once hes recovered in a day or so to get him back to hay again!

He was running circles round me this morning for pellets but refusing hay. Think hes being a bit of a diva!

Glad to hear that all's well with the teeth. A big sigh of relief!!

Hope you can get him back onto the good stuff :D

Back