• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible dental issue? food falling out of mouth

So I took my mini lop Kendrick to the vets since he was struggling to eat anything other than mashed banana and basil!

The vets this morning said he saw no issues in his mouth apart from some of his teeth were a little sharp but there were no cuts. I have syringe fed him to make sure he has eaten, and he attempted to eat some leafy greens but everytime he eats it's falling out of his mouth with only tiny bite marks on it!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the cause and how did you resolve it? He has never had trouble eating until yesterday and is otherwise very healthy!

Thank you

Is your vet rabbit savvy?
If bun has dental spurs, these could be the cause of the issue even without cuts to the mouth so I'd suggest a check from a rabbit savvy vet.

So I took my mini lop Kendrick to the vets since he was struggling to eat anything other than mashed banana and basil!

The vets this morning said he saw no issues in his mouth apart from some of his teeth were a little sharp but there were no cuts. I have syringe fed him to make sure he has eaten, and he attempted to eat some leafy greens but everytime he eats it's falling out of his mouth with only tiny bite marks on it!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the cause and how did you resolve it? He has never had trouble eating until yesterday and is otherwise very healthy!

Thank you

Hello

Some Rabbits are more sensitive than others with regards to 'sharp teeth'. So whilst the Vet may not have seen any soft tissue damage Kendrick may still find the sharp teeth uncomfortable. Add to that the fact that it is impossible to view 100% of a Rabbit's oral cavity whilst the Rabbit is awake. It may be that there are more problems on the very back teeth that the Vet could not see.

Did the Vet prescribe any treatment at all, apart from syringe feeding ? Is Kendrick pooing OK ? Problems with eating can cause a slow down of gut motility.

Is Kendrick OK within himself, bright and active ?

Is your vet rabbit savvy?
If bun has dental spurs, these could be the cause of the issue even without cuts to the mouth so I'd suggest a check from a rabbit savvy vet.

I totally agree with the good advice given by daphnephoebe :D

It sounds like dental spurs, and a vet can only see about 50% into the mouth with sedating the rabbit. Some vets perform 'conscious dentals' where they can access the whole mouth without giving sedation or a general anaesthetic. Such vets are a rare and precious commodity!

If you want to find a rabbit savvy vet, post another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit savvy vet needed in (your location) and members will give their recommendations.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Back