• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding problems

NJK

Warren Scout
Hi I'm sorry I only post when I have problems :( I have two rabbits, male and female - both neutered, and thought I'd successfully bonded them. However, I've noticed that the male rabbit is afraid of the female which is ironic as she is the new one. I got her about six weeks ago after Dora died and did everything I was supposed to and moved them in together properly about two weeks ago. There was a bit of chasing but it died down and I thought everything was fine. However, I've noticed that the male just runs away from the female and is just sitting in the litter tray all the time. I feed them separately and on separate levels because he won't eat or drink unless I physically remove her.. I just get the feeling that he doesn't like her! When they lived separately and could see her, he was fine. Part of me thinks he would be happier on his own. He was very close to Dora and was very subdued when she died and I wonder if I am not going to be able to find him a partner he is happy with. For a week afterwards I had to feed him liquid feed and monitor everything and it seems he's going the same way again. I got her from BARC but would feel terrible taking her back - she's a lovely rabbit, but just perhaps a bit dominant for him! He is very soft and I don't know if he just enjoys his own company. I have read umpteen articles on how you shouldn't keep a rabbit on it's own outside so please no lectures. Should I try again, try again with another female or just see how he goes on on his own? I have thought about bonding services but at the end of the day, each of them has their own personality and to all intents and purposes they are bonded, just not happily on his part.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, I'm sorry that you are having problems :cry: it might be worth trying to back a step and rebond them? Neutral smaller territory for a while might work? Obviously some rabbits just won't get along and I think personalities have an awful lot to do with why a bond will or won't work. If you feel in your heart that the bond won't work then as he is an outdoor bunny I think I would speak to the rescue and see what options they suggest. I wouldn't leave him on his own, unless it's just for a short period - if the suggestion is to try again with a different female.

Good luck xx

Thanks I just feel that he doesn't like her much!! Should I separate them again do you think?

Thanks I just feel that he doesn't like her much!! Should I separate them again do you think?

I think it's difficult for anyone else to advise on that without seeing what is going on. Separating would be a last resort if you feel it is not going to work IMO, but rebonding might fix things. Have you watched the video in the bonding sticky by Mischief and tinkers mum? It's of a trio bond and I think it is a good illustration of typical behaviour during bonding :thumb:

Back