• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's happened to his face?

Theo

Warren Scout
Hi all, I posted last week about Theo's third eye lid which now seems to have resolved itself. Since then his face looks odd...his face looks lopsided - the left side is higher than the right. He is still bright, hopping around as usual, eating, drinking and pooing fine. Should I be concerned? I've had a quick Google and couldn't find much! I'll take him to the vets this week just to make sure.

Edit: the left side doesn't seem to move...it's the same side he had eye issues last week. Could it be a trapped nerve?

Edit: I have started 9 days worming with Pamacur...should I do 28 days for Theo in case it's EC? If so would thins mean I'd also need to do 28 for Bluebell who lives with him?

Last edited:
I think this is a vet visit- sounds like a neuropathy in the cranial nerves, the ones that supply the muscles of the face. Good news that he is still eating and hopping about, but still needs a vet visit.

Sending vibes!

Hi all, I posted last week about Theo's third eye lid which now seems to have resolved itself. Since then his face looks odd...his face looks lopsided - the left side is higher than the right. He is still bright, hopping around as usual, eating, drinking and pooing fine. Should I be concerned? I've had a quick Google and couldn't find much! I'll take him to the vets this week just to make sure.

Edit: the left side doesn't seem to move...it's the same side he had eye issues last week. Could it be a trapped nerve?

Edit: I have started 9 days worming with Pamacur...should I do 28 days for Theo in case it's EC? If so would thins mean I'd also need to do 28 for Bluebell who lives with him?

Theo, I'm sorry to hear this.

If he hasn't had Panacur for 28 days, then it might be a good idea to begin this (check with vet first, as always). You would also have to treat Bluebell as they could pass the infected spores back and forth to one another otherwise.

There are some possible causes for what you describe here:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

If it were to be a stroke, the link above says this:

One side of his face will droop, he may drool, and one eye may not function properly.

There's also some info on this thread, where the vet has administered a steroid injection:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?164417-Rabbit-had-a-Stroke-Help!!

It could also be the result of a seizure. I had this happen to one of my rabbits, and eventually over time this settled down. But you do need to find a good vet to help diagnose the issue. There are several different possibilities described for facial asymmetry here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/facial.htm

It's also possible that there is some ear infection - facial paralysis may be observed when the infection is located in the inner ear. as this article states.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

There's a lot to think about here, but the bottom line is - consider Panacur for E.C., get a vet to evaluate for trauma or stroke, consider an ear infection.

Thinking of you and good luck :)

This seems to be quite a common thing with buns that have ear infection related head tilt. I see it quite a lot on the help for head tilt hoppers page. My Hiro has it too but we think his is from nerve damage from his op. I'd definitely pay the vet a visit. Good luck xx

This seems to be quite a common thing with buns that have ear infection related head tilt. I see it quite a lot on the help for head tilt hoppers page. My Hiro has it too but we think his is from nerve damage from his op. I'd definitely pay the vet a visit. Good luck xx

I agree with rr, ear infection is the most likely issue. Usually effecting the middle ear

This was my Bernie Bunny who had chronic ear infections

Tooth root abscesses can cause unilateral third eyelid protrusion and sometimes facial nerve damage.

I would try to get your Bunny to a Vet today in order to try to obtain a definitive diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

I believe this can sometimes be termed as Horner's syndrome also. Usually as result of ear infection.
If the branch of the facial nerve that passes through the middle ear is damaged it can cause a drooping lip and ear, drooling and a decreased or no eye blink reflex. If the cranial nerves CN III, IV or VI are damaged, Horner's Syndrome results. Horner's Syndrome is characterized by a drooping eyelid, sunken eye and relaxed third eyelid (where it stays "up" over the corner of the eye and can't retract) and a pupil that is more constricted than in the other eye. In some cases the eye becomes very dry because of loss of the ability to blink and replenish the eye with tears or because of damage to the nerves affecting the tear duct. Occasionally, the drooping eye and ear from facial nerve damage might mimic a mild head tilt. However there is NO loss of balance. http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html
I have a lop eared rabbit that has a facial spasm, rather then paralysis. One side of his face has the muscles contracted. The asymmetry looks similar to that of facial paralysis. He had facial abscess that affected bulla of the ear.

image_zpsvtqagt2j.jpeg
image_zps7cdwsqsq.jpeg

I believe this can sometimes be termed as Horner's syndrome also. Usually as result of ear infection.

I have a lop eared rabbit that has a facial spasm, rather then paralysis. One side of his face has the muscles contracted. The asymmetry looks similar to that of facial paralysis. He had facial abscess that affected bulla of the ear.

image_zpsvtqagt2j.jpeg
image_zps7cdwsqsq.jpeg

This looks very like the facial paralysis I mentioned in my first post, as a result of ear infection jersey girl :thumb:

Hi Theo, I don't have a photo unfortunately, but our boy Darwin had an ear infection and his face was one of the first symptoms and looked like those above.

I hope your vet can help and your bun is better soon x

Hi all, thank you for your replies! It really is appreciated. He looks like the photos above and I took him to the vets today but she said his ears looked normal. She was concerned about the amount of food stuck in his left cheek (same side as eye and face issue) and wants a closer look. He's booked in to be sedated and dental on Friday. He's on metacam in the mean time. His last dental was around a year ago. I'm already worrying about it!

Mimzy's face became like this after we moved here. I'm fairly sure the stress of travel exacerbated his e.c. and he had a recurrence of his inner ear issues...hence he now droops on one side and I'm beginning to think some third eyelid protrusion he has is not the result of one of the cats taking a swat at him, but what has been mentioned here.

He had an elongated round of baytril but we did not discuss panacur, which we probably should have done. :(

Sending vibes for Theo and hoping whatever is going on is something easily sussed. xxxx

Hi all, thank you for your replies! It really is appreciated. He looks like the photos above and I took him to the vets today but she said his ears looked normal. She was concerned about the amount of food stuck in his left cheek (same side as eye and face issue) and wants a closer look. He's booked in to be sedated and dental on Friday. He's on metacam in the mean time. His last dental was around a year ago. I'm already worrying about it!

You're welcome Theo :D

And thank you for your lovely PM - very much appreciated ;)

Inner ear infections can't really be diagnosed by physical examination of the ears. An Xray/CT is usually required.
Just an idea but if you are putting her under for a dental anyway, maybe you could discuss your vet doing an Xray at the same time.

Inner ear infections can't really be diagnosed by physical examination of the ears. An Xray/CT is usually required.
Just an idea but if you are putting her under for a dental anyway, maybe you could discuss your vet doing an Xray at the same time.

Good advice from rr. It would be an ideal opportunity to get some skull radiographs xx

I agree with Roxy :)

I'm already worrying about Theo's dental tomorrow, I'd rather it was me going to the dentist! I'll ask for an X-ray while he is there. Fingers crossed he'll be fine...any spare positive vibes then please send them our way!

I'm already worrying about Theo's dental tomorrow, I'd rather it was me going to the dentist! I'll ask for an X-ray while he is there. Fingers crossed he'll be fine...any spare positive vibes then please send them our way!

Loads of vibes that he'll be OK x Good luck for tomorrow x

It's better to get these things done whilst he is already under instead of going through it all over again :)
Lots of luck for tomorrow, i'll check back to see how he gets on! xxxx

Lots of vibes being sent for Theo's treatment today :love:

Back