• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites or moulting?

elaine84

Warren Scout
I've just noticed this smooth bald spot on Roger's head... Could it be mites? Moulting you normally see short stubbly hairs coming through but this is smooth like it's been waxed! It's not grooming or fur pulling from another bun.
IMG_6281.jpg

I've just noticed this smooth bald spot on Roger's head... Could it be mites? Moulting you normally see short stubbly hairs coming through but this is smooth like it's been waxed! It's not grooming or fur pulling from another bun.
IMG_6281.jpg

Have you looked into Roger's ear, the bald area appears to be on the back of his ear ? I cant see any evidence of mites on or around the bald area, but it is impossible to say for certain from a photograph. If he has mucky ears he may have been scratching at them hence the bald area. But it does not really look much like that either as the skin does not appear to have even a slight abrasion on it. There is evidence of new fur growth, so I suspect the bald area will soon catch up. But if you are concerned then a Vet check would be the best way to be certain that he does not have any unwanted guests :)

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply. I will go to the vet I just thought I'd check here first :) It's hard to make out his head as it's a close up but that's the centre of his head between his eyes, his ears are off the photo :)

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply. I will go to the vet I just thought I'd check here first :) It's hard to make out his head as it's a close up but that's the centre of his head between his eyes, his ears are off the photo :)

Ah, I see now, having my glasses on helps !! I would say that is part of a normal moult. Sometimes a large amount of fur will come away before the new growth has appeared.

IMG_6281.jpg

Hi Elaine :wave:

It looks a bit hefty for a normal moult, but there again I can't see any signs of 'walking dandruff' which would indicate mites :?

Could he have caught it somewhere and pulled a tuft of fur out, maybe?

Hi thank you for your replies! It's been a few weeks but Roger's hair is growing back evenly now! So it was moulting not mites :) I didn't realise they got full on bald patches from moulting! He looks like an advert for Macdonalds at the moment with a big M shape on his head (2 bald arches over the eyes) lol. I'll take another pic when he lets me! x

Hi thank you for your replies! It's been a few weeks but Roger's hair is growing back evenly now! So it was moulting not mites :) I didn't realise they got full on bald patches from moulting! He looks like an advert for Macdonalds at the moment with a big M shape on his head (2 bald arches over the eyes) lol. I'll take another pic when he lets me! x

Hi Elaine :wave:

It doesn't happen all that often that a rabbit gets bald patches through moulting, but it can do.

Here's what an expert says:

In some cases, a bunny will undergo what we call a "coat blow," shedding great clumps of fur all at once, and sometimes even leaving small bald patches. If the bunny is healthy, within a few days the bald patches will become pigmented, and then start to grow hair. If this doesn't happen, however, the fur loss may be due to one of several disease processes, and you should consult your trusted rabbit veterinarian for help in determining what the problem is, and how to appropriately treat it.

I'm pleased to see Roger is growing back his hair :D

Rex Rabbits often get a bald patch during a heavy moult !! They look really scruffy as a result, bless !

I am glad Roger's fur is growing back well now x

Back