• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long till humping stops?!

elaine84

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I'm currently fostering and bonding two rescued rabbits (from separate places) for the RSPCA so they can be rehomed together as a pair.
They were neutered and spayed one month ago (beginning of March) and we waited a couple of weeks till introducing. It's all been going well, no fighting.
However, the boy (Roger) just won't stop humping! Rosie is happy to clean him and will let him hump a bit, but she is getting really annoyed with him now, and the humping today has been non-stop!
Would it be his hormones still? If so how long do they take to die down?
I've bonded buns before but a few years ago and didn't have this problem then. Is it common that some male buns never calm down? I know it's a bad time of year to try and bond when they're all looking to mate anyway!
They have a lot of together time but are in large dog crates next to each other for now so Rosie can get some peace.

Hi Elaine.

Yes it will be hormones. It takes 6 weeks or more for them to die down I think. But saying that I bonded 2 rescue buns last July had them both sorted before hand. The female a Rex still humps poor Frankie now. If she is over excited at feeding or when I'm in the shed with them. Poor Frankie. He just sits and lets her. She also builds a nest every 3 weeks too since the weather has picked up. I think the humping from her is a dominance thing. I'm sure it will settle down a bit for you soon. Spring fever doesn't help either 😊

I think it's a couple of months since our new boy Ziggy had his op and humping is still his favourite past time. If his partner, Dottie, stays still long enough he's there lol. We kind of laugh about it and think he's particularly randy, Dottie doesn't seem to mind too much and I think she would let him know if she did, she's quite feisty x

Thank you both for your replies. Roger isn't humping anymore yay and they are fully bonded, ahh so lovely to see :love:. Now I have to try and not be a failed fosterer!

Thank you both for your replies. Roger isn't humping anymore yay and they are fully bonded, ahh so lovely to see :love:. Now I have to try and not be a failed fosterer!

What good news- about the bonding - not sure about the failed fosterer bit.;)

Back