• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My darling Olly :o( 23/08/2010 - 22/03/2017

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Olly, Olly Chops, Sausage Face, Buzzy Bee, Ollyphant… my darling boy, I can't believe you've gone :( You were such a special bunny, you deserve a special tribute, so I'll do my best…xxx

We first met you when you were only four weeks old - we didn't know any better at the time, and went to find a breeder of mini-lops. We wanted a boy and a girl bunny, and fell in love with you and Honey, your sister. We visited you every week until you were old enough to come home with us, I was so excited.

You both had lots of fun tearing around the living room and binkying about, you made us laugh so much! Daddy called you stunt bunny as you managed to jump onto things that we didn’t think you could get to!

When you were only about 10 weeks old, one night you lost your balance and couldn’t stay upright. I was worried sick after losing my last bunny to EC, and rushed you to the emergency vets. When we got there you behaved perfectly normally, and the vet could see nothing wrong, so we went home with no medication at all :( I was still very worried after seeing you like that though, and took you to my local vets the next day, where they gave you some antibiotics and metacam to make you feel better. You were such a good boy taking your medicine. Ever since then you were plagued with ear problems :( you developed a head tilt, and couldn’t be stunt bunny any more :(

You had a brief separation from Honey when your hormones kicked in, you were neutered and Honey was spayed. It was a difficult time, Honey was quite depressed by herself, and she started to pull her own fur out. Luckily re-bonding you went well, and we moved you both upstairs where you had your own room, instead of a cage/pen. You both loved your new room, and spent lots of time charging through tunnels and racing up and down the landing! Honey looked after you - you struggled with things due to your head tilt. She washed your eyes and other areas you couldn't reach, she snuggled up with you in your house and kept you warm and safe, she was always on alert for any potential danger, so she could protect you. Then, when you were both only 2.5 years old, Honey became ill and we couldn't save her, although we tried so, so hard :(

I was so worried about you. I didn't think you would cope by yourself, little man. You became withdrawn and depressed, and barely moved. I decided you needed a new friend, and adopted Molly. Sadly, the bonding was not successful - I think you were too bonded to me by that point, and you didn't want somebun intruding. Molly was also too unpredictable for me to trust her with you, I couldn't risk you getting hurt. So Molly lived upstairs, and we moved you back down, so you could be with us more.

Living downstairs in a different environment really cheered you up :) I was so happy to see you happy again. Gradually you started to do more and more, and your head tilt even improved. One day I was amazed to see you jump on top of your little house - you hadn't been balanced enough to risk jumping on things since you went tilty! Jumping off again was a little more problematic, as you couldn't judge distances, and you would just take a flying leap into oblivion, and hope for the best! I was terrified you were going to crash into something, but you seemed to always be ok. Stunt bunny was back! :love:

Supper time I loved, as I would go into the kitchen to prepare your greens/herbs, and you would come to wait at the door - you wouldn't come in, as the floor was too slippery for you, but you would stand and watch, and if I was taking too long, you would do a circuit of the living room and come back, begging for some greens! I would give you a piece and you'd run off with it, then get so excited when I brought the rest. Happy days, Olly Chops :love:

When you were nearly 4, Daddy and I went our separate ways - I moved out, and took all of you bunnies with me. I rented a nice little cottage, and you shared my bedroom. I loved having you there at night time - you would sit with me on the floor and watch TV, and when I went to bed I loved watching you hop about, looking for the treats I'd put around the room. I loved listening to you munching hay, and seeing your lovely little face when I woke up in the morning. I loved how you would follow me to the bathroom, and sit on the bath mat waiting for me. And what I really, really loved, and miss now so much, is you running to meet me when I went upstairs, buzzing like a little bee. You were so lovely, and so funny. I loved our floor snuggles too, as did you… sometimes you would nod off while we were snuggling, and then you would wake up and lick my nose, you gorgeous boy :love:

You had a few problems the last few years Olly, I'm glad I could help you with some of them. You developed bladder sludge and had to have it flushed out; you developed a bony growth on your toe, which had to be amputated, and of course there were your blasted ears :( I knew they would get you in the end Olly, because you were a nightmare to give medicine to. You had so many courses of baytril over the years, but always disguised in bits of bread or something, as there was no way you would take that nasty stuff otherwise!

A few months ago your ears started to bother you more than ever. You would scratch at them so much that you almost fell over, poor boy :( antibiotics kept it at bay for a little while, but it always came back. Some days it hurt you to chew things, although you always tried. Your droppings became really tiny, despite the fact that you were still eating well most of the time.

A couple of weeks ago you got worse :( I knew you were struggling, despite being on a very high dose of metacam, as you just stayed in your house all the time. I couldn't bear the thought of you being in pain all the time. I wished I could get you some new ears :( I made the decision to let you go to be with Honey Pie. It was so so hard Olly, I cried my heart out for you. I cut some of your fur so I could keep a bit of you forever :( but you're not here any more physically, and that hurts like hell. I wish I could snuggle you again, and have you lick my nose :( :cry:

I love you Olly Chops, I will love and miss you forever :( I hope you have found Honey and that she is looking after you again, my gorgeous, beautiful boy. I miss you so much, and I'm so sorry I couldn't make your ears better :( :cry:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

***PICS TO FOLLOW IN NEXT POST***

Last edited:
That was so lovely Jo I'm now in tears. Olly was a very special gorgeous boy. Lots of hugs. I hope daisy continues to be pain-free so at least you have less worries xx

A beautiful tribute to a strong and indomitable rabbit. I'm so sorry you lost him. Binky free with Honey, Olly. xxx

I'm shedding tears for you, that is such a lovely heart felt tribute, and I'm just so sorry. Olly was a much loved bun, and he knew that. Binky free with Honey lovely Olly xxxxx

What a lovely tribute and what beautiful pictures of your sweet boy. You were so fortunate to have a bunny who loved you more than words can say.

Sweet dreams to both of you.

A lovely tribute to Olly :love: I'm so sorry you lost him :cry:

Binky free with Honey at the bridge xx

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Oh Jo I'm in tears here reading this.

What a lovely tribute to your beautiful boy.

Binky Free Olly.xx

Such a beautiful and moving tribute to a very special bunny.

I am so sorry it was time to say farewell :cry:

I hope you are having lots of fun with Honey at the bridge.

Binky free Olly xxx

I've come in here a few times since you posted and each time I leave in tears. Olly will be missed by so many who never knew him. He will always be to me, Mimzy's "brother from another mother" and I hope that in time the memories will bring you comfort where now there is sadness. :cry:

This is a beautiful tribute, I love all these pictures. Some of which I have never seen of him before. But I'll always remember the one with Olly and Honey at the bottom of your post. Such a sweet pair of bunnies and now reunited and whole and healthy again.

I know your heart is aching, Jo, and mine aches with you. I am so sorry you have had to say goodbye for now. :cry:

Thinking of you and sending gentle, comforting (((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

Go wild up there in Paradise, Olly Bobble. Nothing but soft landings for you at the Rainbow...but keep an eye on your mum from there, okay? We miss you, bub. :cry: xxxxx

Back