• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold laser therapy - experience so far

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Winston has severe arthritis covering 8-9 of vertebrae, mostly his lumbar ones. Treatment is obviously quite limited but cold laser therapy was suggested. I found it hard to find much information so I wanted to make a thread that people could find if they search for it!

So the standard course is 8 sessions, twice a week for 4 weeks, and it came to £180. My insurance (PetPlan) have covered it under complementary therapy, and because I've paid out the £50 excess already they covered the full £180. Yay!

I have to travel just over an hour to get to the referral surgery where they do it.

Here's some pics of Winston having it done:

9cZQ20a.jpg

TOTJOC4.jpg

Xywrpi4.jpg

They basically just run the laser over his back area for about 4 minutes. The machine beeps regularly which doesn't bother Winston, and he tends to just faff around in a small circle. In these pics there was a trainee nurse holding him but usually we just plonk him on the floor on a towel or on the vet table and allow him to bumble about. He would be perfectly capable of wandering off but he enjoys the sensation and stays in a small area. Most times, he ends up chattering his teeth with happiness towards the end of the treatment. The nurses have all used it on themselves and report that it feels pleasant - slightly warm, a tiny bit tingly. Winston certainly does not mind one bit, and he is always very chilled out afterwards.

So far Winston has had 5 of his 8 sessions. He has them every Tuesday and Friday. We did 3 sessions, then unfortunately I was involved in a pile up on the way to the 4th so we skipped that Friday and picked it up again on the following Tuesday and he's had another Friday session since. Even with missing a session in the middle the improvement in his back is noticeable.

He can now lie down with his back legs out behind him whereas before he could only sleep with his legs under him:

iZia3vW.jpg

He can also flop over on his side now whereas before he was too stiff and sore to allow him to:

sCKgnZP.jpg

GiH1Up7.jpg

He's also able to binky higher. He's able to hold his back end higher up off the floor too... he used to have quite a prominent skirt around his back end where his back end was so low. I used to barely be able to distinguish his tail from the rest of him but now I see his tail all the time! He is able to turn more easily too - if he ever needed to turn in a tight space he used to pivot around quite clumsily on his back legs but now he is able to do it a little more delicately (as delicately as any rabbit is able to!)

Last edited:
That's absolutely amazing! So glad it's worked for him, he looks so content too :love: x

He's gorgeous :love:

This is great to read. :) I hope you continue to see it make a difference for him.
Thank you for the feedback! Im finding im getting more and more interested in cold laser for people and animals.
Sorry to hear you were involved in an accident! I hope you didn't suffer any injuries.

Yes I've heard of this treatment, my friend has a hand held device that she uses on her husky dogs, and herself ! Really pleased that it's working for Winston, and thumbs up to PetPlan :thumb:

Yes I've heard of this treatment, my friend has a hand held device that she uses on her husky dogs, and herself ! Really pleased that it's working for Winston, and thumbs up to PetPlan :thumb:

Oh really? I want to try this for my jaw issues so much, but the only one I could find was coming from some random country via Amazon (I've forgotten where!). This scared me off a bit. I'd be so interested to hear what your friend has.

This is fascinating! :love: The changes you are reporting are remarkable! I am going to have to find something like that around here for the bunnies, and perhaps for Jenna as well who is getting a bit creaky and has always had lower back issues. She's going to be 9 years old next month and her age is showing already. :(

If I can find an affordable plan for it this could give more than a few of my animals a new lease on life if they can achieve these results! Thanks for posting and I am so happy for you and Winston! :D xxxx

That's brilliant news. So pleased for you and Winston. I'll let Jo - rip Minnie know about this for daisy

Wonder if it works for humans as having acid injections into my knees at the moment. Would prefer the laser!

Back