• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Winston thread...update post 24 with blood results

ImoT

Mama Doe
So Winston has been on baycox for 3 days, had his last dose yesterday, and I'm not convinced it's done any good. The vet couldn't confirm liver coccidiosis but suspected it based on some blood tests. I have been watching really closely the last couple of weeks and I'm becoming more and more convinced that he is depressed because Edith (his wifebun) doesn't pay him much attention. He seeks out grooming and more often than not she is ignoring him or giving him a couple of licks and that's it. They haven't flopped together in months. Also he's been seeking out human attention a lot more recently, which he never used to do when he bonded with Edith.

Could he be depressed? Could he be losing weight even though he's eating normally if there wasn't anything physically wrong? Or could there still be something physically wrong and Edith can sense it which is why she isn't giving him much attention?!

We've got another vet appointment on Monday but I really don't know what is going to come out of it. He seems so down and unhappy that I really don't feel comfortable putting him through loads more tests because it would just make him even more unhappy.

Last edited:
So Winston has been on baycox for 3 days, had his last dose yesterday, and I'm not convinced it's done any good. The vet couldn't confirm liver coccidiosis but suspected it based on some blood tests. I have been watching really closely the last couple of weeks and I'm becoming more and more convinced that he is depressed because Edith (his wifebun) doesn't pay him much attention. He seeks out grooming and more often than not she is ignoring him or giving him a couple of licks and that's it. They haven't flopped together in months. Also he's been seeking out human attention a lot more recently, which he never used to do when he bonded with Edith.

Could he be depressed? Could he be losing weight even though he's eating normally if there wasn't anything physically wrong? Or could there still be something physically wrong and Edith can sense it which is why she isn't giving him much attention?!

We've got another vet appointment on Monday but I really don't know what is going to come out of it. He seems so down and unhappy that I really don't feel comfortable putting him through loads more tests because it would just make him even more unhappy.

It can be the case that if a Rabbit is unwell their partner will keep their distance.

What is Winston's eating and output like at the moment ? I cant remember what you said the blood test abnormalities were ?

It can be the case that if a Rabbit is unwell their partner will keep their distance.

What is Winston's eating and output like at the moment ? I cant remember what you said the blood test abnormalities were ?

His eating and output are fine! I think the vet said blood results showed low platelets and high liver enzymes. But to be honest I was a little panicky on the phone and can't quite remember. I'm going to ask on Monday.

His eating and output are fine! I think the vet said blood results showed low platelets and high liver enzymes. But to be honest I was a little panicky on the phone and can't quite remember. I'm going to ask on Monday.

Is he losing weight ?

Is Winston the only one being treated for cocci?

Aww Imo, I'm sorry winston hasn't showed signs of improving yet!

I don't want to scare you in any way.. As I know Winston is a strong little bun and still eating which is great. But when Harvey got admitted and before they realised it was a liver lobe torsion, they actually discussed the possibility of cocci, as he had higher values for his kidneys & liver. But after the first night he got admitted, and had been on fluid therapy, he had another blood test the next morning his values had decreased & back in normal range. So he then went for a ultrasound which showed the peritonitis and liver lobe Torsion. But honestly I don't think for one minute Winston has anything like this as Harvey was not eating at all. But maybe further tests might help? It will be interesting to see if he has another blood test to see if the liver values have changed at all? To see if this medication he's on has helped?

Topping up the vibes for him xxxx

Last edited:
Aww Imo, I'm sorry winston hasn't showed signs of improving yet!

I don't want to scare you in any way.. As I know Winston is a strong little bun and still eating which is great. But when Harvey got admitted and before they realised it was a liver lobe torsion, they actually discussed the possibility of cocci, as he had higher values for his liver. But after the first night he got admitted, and had been on fluid therapy, he had another blood test the next morning his liver values had decreased & back in normal range. So he then went for a ultrasound which showed the peritonitis and liver lobe Torsion. But honestly I don't think for one minute Winston has anything like this as Harvey was not eating at all. But maybe further tests might help? It will be interesting to see if he has another blood test to see if the liver values have changed at all? To see if this medication he's on has helped?

Topping up the vibes for him xxxx

Thank you Ruth for all that info, I really do appreciate it. Any info is really useful as I just feel so out of my depth at the moment. I will mention a liver lobe torsion to the vet on Monday and I will ask about more blood tests. Really random question, when they took blood from Harvey where did they take it from? Winston has has part of his neck shaved (to one side of under his chin) and it's all scabby and it's evident that's where they took blood from...but the area looks quite sore so i'm going to ask the vet about it on Monday. I would have assumed they would have taken it from his paw or something?!

I'm just so confused that he is still eating but just losing weight so drastically, and just seems so sad in himself, it just doesn't make any sense. Luckily the house sitters who are coming in a week are really experienced with animals in general and really willing to give medication and go back and forth to the vets if needed!

I know how scary it is, but honesty don't think Winston has anything like what Harvey had, just really hope the vets can find it out soon for you.

Erm, I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure with all my bunnies it's been the hind legs that they take the blood from. But I'm sure I've heard of other places they can take it from too as bunnies can be difficult to get blood from. I'm sure mm or jacks jane will probably know more on that front!

Yeah I know what you mean it's so confusing when they carry on eating but like others say, it's the survival instinct.. Is he on metacam? And if so, have you seen a different since he's been on it?

And it's good that you have trusting house sitters to look after him, I see your not overly far from me in bucks!! Wish I could find some house sitters to trust, but my two get dragged around with me instead!

I know how scary it is, but honesty don't think Winston has anything like what Harvey had, just really hope the vets can find it out soon for you.

Erm, I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure with all my bunnies it's been the hind legs that they take the blood from. But I'm sure I've heard of other places they can take it from too as bunnies can be difficult to get blood from. I'm sure mm or jacks jane will probably know more on that front!

Yeah I know what you mean it's so confusing when they carry on eating but like others say, it's the survival instinct.. Is he on metacam? And if so, have you seen a different since he's been on it?

And it's good that you have trusting house sitters to look after him, I see your not overly far from me in bucks!! Wish I could find some house sitters to trust, but my two get dragged around with me instead!

Hmm okay, thank you for the blood test info. I just didn't expect them to take it from the neck and the area now looks quite sore!

He was on metacam but I accidentally gave him an overdose for 3 days because I was using the dog metacam syringe (I know I know, totally me not paying enough attention!) and when I explained to the vet what i had done he recommended stopping the metacam until the check up tomorrow. To be honest I didn't notice a difference at all though while he wasn't on it.

We use a website called 'trusted house sitters'. My parents use it for their 9 animals and I was very skeptical about the whole thing at first but we've used it twice already and had fantastic experiences, so I would really recommend it. Not only does someone look after your pets, they also look after your house as well!

Hmm okay, thank you for the blood test info. I just didn't expect them to take it from the neck and the area now looks quite sore!

He was on metacam but I accidentally gave him an overdose for 3 days because I was using the dog metacam syringe (I know I know, totally me not paying enough attention!) and when I explained to the vet what i had done he recommended stopping the metacam until the check up tomorrow. To be honest I didn't notice a difference at all though while he wasn't on it.

We use a website called 'trusted house sitters'. My parents use it for their 9 animals and I was very skeptical about the whole thing at first but we've used it twice already and had fantastic experiences, so I would really recommend it. Not only does someone look after your pets, they also look after your house as well!

When you are at the vets, or on the phone to the vets, when you are worried or anxious it's natural to not be able to take everything in, so I would write out down, or get them to write it down, then you can refer back to it later :thumb:

When you are at the vets, or on the phone to the vets, when you are worried or anxious it's natural to not be able to take everything in, so I would write out down, or get them to write it down, then you can refer back to it later :thumb:

:thumb:

My vet is so used to me writing things down that now she says I don't have to ... She hands me a sheet of paper with everything written down already as she knows I always want the details.

:thumb:

My vet is so used to me writing things down that now she says I don't have to ... She hands me a sheet of paper with everything written down already as she knows I always want the details.

Great advice from you both! I'll definitely be writing things down at my appointment tomorrow. I do think Winston is a bit perkier today. Will be interesting to see what his weight is like tomorrow.

So I took Winston to the vets this morning. He does seem perkier so is potentially on the mend and he hasn't lost anymore weight since he was last weighed last Monday...so that's good!

I got a copy of his blood test results as well....in summary;

Haematology;
everything fine apart from platelet count which was low. Result = 7, normal range is 200-1060....so this seems very low?!

Biochemistry;
Albumin = Low, Result = 16.4, normal range 30-57
Globulin = High, Result = 48.8, normal range 7-40
ALT (SGPT) = High, Result = 78.1, normal range 15-74
Total Bilirubin = High, Result = 4.6, normal range 0-3.4
Glucose = Low, Result = <2, normal range 6-8.9

The notes suggest hepatic coccidiosis (which we are treating for) or hepatic lipidosis (not sure what this is!)

The plan suggest by the vet today, restart Metacam tomorrow just incase he is in pain, continue until next Monday. Do another 3 day course of Baycox starting on Wednesday. Potentially do another course when we are back from holiday, but we have another check up booked for Tuesday 18th April to decide that.

What do people think of this plan?

Back