Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hoping for advice...

  1. #1
    New Kit
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    16

    Default Hoping for advice...

    Hi, this is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right 😳. I have been offered a pair of mini lop rabbits and am seriously considering taking them as I've been promising my children (8 & 10) that we would get a new pet since their beloved hamster died 😭.
    This is my plan, please tell me if it sounds ok.
    The rabbits will be outside during the day (but not in dead of winter). They will have the 6ft Kendal hutch and run.
    When we come home from work/school we will bring them in to hop about and play. We will have a puppy pen in our utility which we can put a hiding box thing in/bed?/litter tray?/anything else in? They will go in there if we're too busy to supervise them/going to bed.
    Does that sound ok? I know indoor rabbits moult differently to outdoor ones so the rabbits would stay indoors if it was very cold.
    Utility has underfloor heating, would that bother them?
    Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,290

    Default

    I think that sounds fine although how big is the utility room as rabbits are active at night. Regarding temperatures you just can't let them be warm then go outside in the cold. But you seem to know that. If they are inside in the warm they will moult but won't have such a thick coat. I don't think they'll get too warm. Doughnut is an indoor bunny and she's used to the heating being on. When the sun is out she goes to sit in it. Obviously you have to make sure they don't over heat but consistent temperature is best.
    She loves tunnels so that could be something for the utility room. I've just bunny proofed downstairs so she has free reign and I put her out in a run in the garden in the summer. I always supervise that though as cats can r scare her even though she has hiding places.
    Generally rabbits don't like being picked up so they aren't cuddly pets but you can normally gain their trust and they're happy to have nose rubs and give kisses on ground level.
    Are they vaccinated and neutered. Rabbits aren't cheap pets so getting insurance is advised.
    Looking forward to seeing the photos of them
    Last edited by cpayne; 01-04-2017 at 12:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    127,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpayne View Post
    I think that sounds fine although how big is the utility room as rabbits are active at night. Regarding temperatures you just can't let them be warm then go outside in the cold. But you seem to know that. If they are inside in the warm they will moult but won't have such a thick coat. I don't think they'll get too warm. Doughnut is an indoor bunny and she's used to the heating being on. When the sun is out she goes to sit in it. Obviously you have to make sure they don't over heat but consistent temperature is best.
    She loves tunnels so that could be something for the utility room. I've just bunny proofed downstairs so she has free reign and I put her out in a run in the garden in the summer. I always supervise that though as cats can r scare her even though she has hiding places.
    Generally rabbits don't like being picked up so they aren't cuddly pets but you can normally gain their trust and they're happy to have nose rubs and give kisses on ground level.
    Are they vaccinated and neutered. Rabbits aren't cheap pets so getting insurance is advised.
    Looking forward to seeing the photos of them
    Aswell as the great advice from cpayne the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have a lot of useful information that you could browse through

    http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...=leaflets.html

    As you no doubt realise, young children can lose interest in Pets bought for them. Rabbits can live for 10+ years, so obtaining Pet Rabbits is a very longterm commitment. 'The children lost interest' is one of the main reasons that Pet Rabbits are signed over to Rescue Centres. I am sure that you have consider all this and that you are prepared to be the main care giver for the Rabbits for their entire life Very best wishes for you and the new additions to your family

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitnovice View Post
    Hi, this is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right 😳. I have been offered a pair of mini lop rabbits and am seriously considering taking them as I've been promising my children (8 & 10) that we would get a new pet since their beloved hamster died 😭.
    This is my plan, please tell me if it sounds ok.
    The rabbits will be outside during the day (but not in dead of winter). They will have the 6ft Kendal hutch and run.
    When we come home from work/school we will bring them in to hop about and play. We will have a puppy pen in our utility which we can put a hiding box thing in/bed?/litter tray?/anything else in? They will go in there if we're too busy to supervise them/going to bed.
    Does that sound ok? I know indoor rabbits moult differently to outdoor ones so the rabbits would stay indoors if it was very cold.
    Utility has underfloor heating, would that bother them?
    Thanks for any advice.

    Welcome to the Forum

    Tamsin, who runs this site, has made a very helpful website, and it may be worth your while having a browse through it when you've time

    http://www.therabbithouse.com

  5. #5
    New Kit
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Thanks for replies. Our utility is pretty big so they'll have plenty of space inside. Just ordered a Kendal 6ft cage with run for outside. Very excited. Have said we'd have the rabbits now. They're mini lops, a brown boy and a black girl. My friend thought she had two girls until the babies arrived!! (She's split them up now). We are picking them up on Easter Monday ����.

  6. #6
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    2,463

    Default

    They will need neutering and vaccinating as well. Do you have a good rabbit-savvy vet nearby? Someone on here may be able to recommend one in your area if you say where you are.

    Bunnies chew a lot - have a look at how to bunny-proof the utility room. Wires are particularly attractive to bunny teeth.

  7. #7
    New Kit
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Thanks, we will certainly be getting them neutered. Do they have to have vaccinations or any regular treatments for worms/fleas etc? No visible wires in utility - other than a few shoe laces perhaps. Not sure about vets. I'm in Scarborough North Yorkshire.

  8. #8
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,290

    Default

    Nothing for worms or fleas. You need the annual myxi/vhd vaccine and the new vhd2 vaccine which was introduced last year. I think a lot of areas are now saying they need the vaccine every six months for that. I know my specialist recommends that.

    I personally also apply rearguard to doughnuts bum to avoid fly strike. She gets loose on the grass so I don't think it's worth taking the risk

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    21,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitnovice View Post
    Thanks, we will certainly be getting them neutered. Do they have to have vaccinations or any regular treatments for worms/fleas etc? No visible wires in utility - other than a few shoe laces perhaps. Not sure about vets. I'm in Scarborough North Yorkshire.
    Vaccinations and 6-monthly or annual boosters against myxomatosis, VHD and VHD2. No, they don't need routine treatment for worms/fleas.

    ETA Looks as though I have cross-posted with cpayne.
    I don't recommend routinely using Rearguard - and some people are very much against it under any circumstances.
    Last edited by Babsie; 02-04-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •