Thread: Newly bonded pair: Different dietary needs!

Default Newly bonded pair: Different dietary needs!

Hi,

I was wondering how you all manage a bonded pair with different dietary needs.

My boy Chester is prone to weightloss (this has been discussed with the vet) so I feed him Excel Junior pellets so he can benefit from a higher protein content.

For ease, I slowly transitioned his partner onto the same pellets (I just feed her less of it), however I am finding that she is producing a large number of uneaten caecotropes which I can only imagine is due to the high protein content.

They are both incredibly greedy. I feed them at different ends of their house but as soon as my girl finishes, she has her head in Chester's bowl.

Am I better of transitioning them both onto a different feed that they can both tolerate and perhaps supplement Chester's food with something else to maintain his weight? Or should I be feeding them completely different diets.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS. They have endless access to a combination of timothy and oat hay.

It's difficult isn't it?!
    My rabbit Sylar is on a pellet free diet and his bonded friend needs pellets because he's a skinny boy. We have to feed them separately now because Sy would charge at Hiro and because he has balance issues (head tilt) he would knock him over I just wait until they are in different rooms and then shut the door. I give Hiro his pellets and my o/h gives Sy some dried forage so he doesn't feel like he's missing out!

Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    It's difficult isn't it?!
    My rabbit Sylar is on a pellet free diet and his bonded friend needs pellets because he's a skinny boy. We have to feed them separately now because Sy would charge at Hiro and because he has balance issues (head tilt) he would knock him over I just wait until they are in different rooms and then shut the door. I give Hiro his pellets and my o/h gives Sy some dried forage so he doesn't feel like he's missing out!
    This is what we do with our 2

Ari is extremely skinny and now requires a diet which is high in sugar atm.
    Mr T who is usually sweet man gets very angry & grunts & bites us if she's getting & he isn't so as roxy said give the other something so they don't think they're missing out