• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding, Round 2

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
First time I tried, Little Girl wasn't spayed yet and it did not go well. She is now spayed and 4 weeks healed, so I've started again. Leroy chased her and nipped the first date. Second one, he chased only half heartedly and she ran away. I'm putting them in the pen every day for a speed date and there is a little chasing by him, she moves out of his way and they munch grass, groom themselves, etc. He doesn't seem intent on fighting her as he did previously. She seems to want to be near him and moves closer to him at times and then he sort of jumps at her, like a "Get out of here!" posture. Again, not nipping and running her over.

Is this progress? What do I do next?

If rabbits do not bond, do they take comfort in another rabbit being close to them (side by side in the double hutch?)

I am not sure if you did this but you should put their cages beside one another for a couple of days. When you put them together it should be on a slippery surface. but that sounds like progress.

First time I tried, Little Girl wasn't spayed yet and it did not go well. She is now spayed and 4 weeks healed, so I've started again. Leroy chased her and nipped the first date. Second one, he chased only half heartedly and she ran away. I'm putting them in the pen every day for a speed date and there is a little chasing by him, she moves out of his way and they munch grass, groom themselves, etc. He doesn't seem intent on fighting her as he did previously. She seems to want to be near him and moves closer to him at times and then he sort of jumps at her, like a "Get out of here!" posture. Again, not nipping and running her over.

Is this progress? What do I do next?

If rabbits do not bond, do they take comfort in another rabbit being close to them (side by side in the double hutch?)

they seem to be calming round each other which is good. There are many styles of bunny bonding - I don't do dates (except an introductory date at the rescue to get an idea of how they get on). Personally I'd put them together & see how long you can last. I expect your buns will work it out. There is good info in the bonding threads. I don't like stress bonding and I don't think slippy surfaces are good - there is a real risk of bunnies injuring themselves as they are obviously more skittish during bonding. Some people bond in big space, some start of really small - both can work - its down to owners time commitments, bunny personality etc

Their cages have been beside each other for several months - anywhere from a 2" - 8" space, so they are quite used to each other's presence.

They have been free roaming in the large yard every day now, sometimes for several hours at a time. There has been no fighting, minimal chasing. The problem seems to be in the smaller pen.

I agree with J&B.
I'd keep them together and just monitor. Only stopping serious fights.
Sounds like they are doing fine to me and you should keep going.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back