• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Bunnies

VickiC

New Kit
Hi. Can anyone help please? Today we had a go at bonding our rabbits, Scrumpy and Rosie. They are both neutered and are used to each other since they've been living in cages near each other for a couple of months. When we bonded them (in the kitchen - neutral territory) we were prepared for the worst - oven gloves and water sprays at the ready! - but they just got on great :D. After the initial uncertainty (where they seemed to be checking each other out from opposite sides of the room) they started grooming themselves, each other and laying next to each other within 1/2 hour. Is this "love at first sight"?:? We seperated them in the end after 5 hours and they have gone home (seperately) into each others cages for the night. What do we do now? Are we right to seperate them for the night? We are going to put them together again in the morning and then try them in the living room (where they both get to run around). Is this right? When is the right time to let them both go into the cage they will both share (i.e. Scrumpys cage in the porch)? Sorry, this is such a long post. Thanks for any advice you can give! :)

Wow, yep if they spent 5 hours together with no problem then i think it could be considered a love at first sight pairing :D Does the kitchen open on to the living room? If so just open the door and let them go in in their own time. Letting them spend time together in the living room tommorow is a good next step and it less neutral than the kitchen but more neutral than one or other cage. If that goes fine then you can try them in the cage together.

Good luck :)

Tam

Hoping you are talking about a buck and a doe its best not to put them in the does cage put them either a nutral cage or the bucks. She may be a bit territorial about here cage. val

Hi thanks for your replies

They are both together in the living room. Scrumpy (buck) chases Rosie (doe) every now and then. But other than that they lay down next to each other for rests. Shall we just watch and wait? There hasn't been any fur flying just lots of running around! As I write this Scrumpy is trying to snuggle up to Rosie by the fireplace. :)

I can add little to what Tamsin has already said, but if they are fine first time I wouldn't separate as this may confuse things. Sounds good to me . :love:

Back