• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure they are working as a pair...

echolouise

Young Bun
On Thursday we lost Errol leaving our trio as a m/f pair and I'm not sure they are enough for each other.
Earnest wants affection from effie but she's only willing to give it if she approaches him and not the other way round. If he approaches her she will either run him off or give him a little nip to keep him in his place, the poor lonely boy just won't give up though and he's getting on her nerves.
Effie is full of energy and wants to play and cause mischief. Earnest is a big lazy boy with not much interest in joining her and I can see she's getting frustrated and bored.
There are affectionate moments between them, they will lay facing each other with noses touching at times, they eat together from the same food bowl even though there is more than one available, they groom themselves sitting next to each other (I have never seen earnest groom another rabbit since we got him so that's as good as that will get).
But madam is a bit of a bully. She will randomly approach him and pull a tuft of fur from his backside, after that she's all sweetness and light wanting to sit with him. She really is a little madam.
When there were 3, earnest got as much snuggle time as he wanted with Errol and effie always had a partner in crime to play with. They were an odd bunch but they all got what they needed socially and madams temper wasn't all on one rabbit 24/7.
I know errols only been gone for a few days and I will give the other 2 some time to settle into the new way of things but my gut is telling me it's not going to work.
Nothing they are doing is new behaviour. It's exactly the same just minus one rabbit and they don't seem quite as compatible without Errol bridging the gap between them.

Would anyone risk trying to add another to try for a trio again? If so, how long would you leave it before introducing a new rabbit?
(For the record it seems that only us humans seem to care Errol is gone, the 2 rabbits have been binkying around the garden for the past 2 days because the suns out and I'm pretty sure they have forgotten he ever existed)

On Thursday we lost Errol leaving our trio as a m/f pair and I'm not sure they are enough for each other.
Earnest wants affection from effie but she's only willing to give it if she approaches him and not the other way round. If he approaches her she will either run him off or give him a little nip to keep him in his place, the poor lonely boy just won't give up though and he's getting on her nerves.
Effie is full of energy and wants to play and cause mischief. Earnest is a big lazy boy with not much interest in joining her and I can see she's getting frustrated and bored.
There are affectionate moments between them, they will lay facing each other with noses touching at times, they eat together from the same food bowl even though there is more than one available, they groom themselves sitting next to each other (I have never seen earnest groom another rabbit since we got him so that's as good as that will get).
But madam is a bit of a bully. She will randomly approach him and pull a tuft of fur from his backside, after that she's all sweetness and light wanting to sit with him. She really is a little madam.
When there were 3, earnest got as much snuggle time as he wanted with Errol and effie always had a partner in crime to play with. They were an odd bunch but they all got what they needed socially and madams temper wasn't all on one rabbit 24/7.
I know errols only been gone for a few days and I will give the other 2 some time to settle into the new way of things but my gut is telling me it's not going to work.
Nothing they are doing is new behaviour. It's exactly the same just minus one rabbit and they don't seem quite as compatible without Errol bridging the gap between them.

Would anyone risk trying to add another to try for a trio again? If so, how long would you leave it before introducing a new rabbit?
(For the record it seems that only us humans seem to care Errol is gone, the 2 rabbits have been binkying around the garden for the past 2 days because the suns out and I'm pretty sure they have forgotten he ever existed)

I believe they are fully aware Errol isn't with them now but some do grieve much quicker or in different ways x

I would wait to see if they do eventually become a lovely duo, as you said it has only just happened.

If you do ever plan on adding another I think the only thing that would be difficult is getting a peace maker bunny like Errol to do the same bridging of gaps.

I'm sorry for your loss and in a way I'm glad your buns are taking it well instead of grieving badly x :) Whatever you decide everyone here will support you x

It honestly sounds like they are reestablishing their hierarchy.
I'd leave them for a while longer and change the way they are fed etc.
(E.g. scatter the food around so they have to look for it, hide it in trays of hay etc)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back