• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long to wait after spay to bond?

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
Now my little boy pippin is in his own after losing his two bonded partners in just 6months, we went to the RSPCA yesterday to find him a new friend. We're going back today for a second visit but we think he's chosen a little chocolate lop. At present she is unspayed. The RSPCA will spay before we adopt her, but how long should you wait after her spay to commence bonding?
I have waited after spay to bond before but it was 4 years ago now and for the life of me I can't remember! :oops:
Thank you :thumb:

It's usually recommended to wait 6 weeks for all the hormones to subside :thumb:

Thank you. I was thinking it was 8weeks, but hoping it was 4, so 6 weeks is in between.
I just don't want my little man to be on his own for a moment longer than he needs to be. He is a bunnies bun, and I'm just not cutting the mustard I don't think, despite my best efforts at bribery with treats and new toys! :?

I would say 4 weeks unless she is acting hormonally. I hope it works out well and they are happy together.

Hi everyone,
Now my little boy pippin is in his own after losing his two bonded partners in just 6months, we went to the RSPCA yesterday to find him a new friend. We're going back today for a second visit but we think he's chosen a little chocolate lop. At present she is unspayed. The RSPCA will spay before we adopt her, but how long should you wait after her spay to commence bonding?
I have waited after spay to bond before but it was 4 years ago now and for the life of me I can't remember! :oops:
Thank you :thumb:

Hi Karen :wave:

Four weeks is the norm. She should be well healed up by then and hormones well down :)

Are you going to bring her home earlier to settle her in, or wait until she's ready to bond before collecting her?

Hi Karen :wave:

Four weeks is the norm. She should be well healed up by then and hormones well down :)

Are you going to bring her home earlier to settle her in, or wait until she's ready to bond before collecting her?

Hi mightymax,
I'll bring her home as soon as the RSPCA say I can, which will be about 2 weeks time thereabouts, after she has recovered a bit from her spay and they have done the home visit. I have a spare hutch and I'll get her an attached run so she can settle in a few weeks before bonding. She seemed quite relaxed with my boy pippin today, good bit of humping from her, but then some bunny flops too. Little pippin was less relaxed but he is very timid and he's been through a lot this last two weeks losing his partner and adjusting to being on his own, and then two trips in the car in two days. I can't wait for him to have a new friend, I hate him being on his own, so I know this bit of stress for him will be worth it in the end.
Have to say his new friend is completely gorgeous, I fell in love with her instantly, a chocolate lop, tooooo cute!:love:

Hi mightymax,
I'll bring her home as soon as the RSPCA say I can, which will be about 2 weeks time thereabouts, after she has recovered a bit from her spay and they have done the home visit. I have a spare hutch and I'll get her an attached run so she can settle in a few weeks before bonding. She seemed quite relaxed with my boy pippin today, good bit of humping from her, but then some bunny flops too. Little pippin was less relaxed but he is very timid and he's been through a lot this last two weeks losing his partner and adjusting to being on his own, and then two trips in the car in two days. I can't wait for him to have a new friend, I hate him being on his own, so I know this bit of stress for him will be worth it in the end.
Have to say his new friend is completely gorgeous, I fell in love with her instantly, a chocolate lop, tooooo cute!:love:

Ooooh .... I fostered a choccie lop and rehomed him a few months ago to another choccie lop.

They were both gorgeous :love:

Can't wait for the photos :)

Back