• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sylar Moulting

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Sylar is moulting and it's so much heavier than usual. Could it be having an effect on his behaviour?
I'm trying to help him out by gently plucking the fur out and combing him but he just growls at me and runs away. He's also being really naughty. He is throwing his toys around but in a stroppy manner rather than a playful one and he's digging a lot, mainly in his tunnel. He's also making a complete mess of his litter trays by digging in them and mixing the fitch, poops and hay altogether.
He's eating great and last night he was running around doing bunny 500's so I don't think that he is poorly but he's certainly being a bit of a pain and I'm worried about him ingesting too much fur!

Oh yeah. Mimzy, Fiver, Pip...they all got that bunnitude bug when moulting. Fiver has actually finally put some fluff back on after weeks of shedding down to skin and being really tetchy and he's a lot better tempered now.

I presumed my bunnies' moults were so heavy because we switched climates and they don't need all that underfluff, but maybe it's just a bad year for that? :? The most I'd be concerned with at this point is making sure they don't eat a lot of that, we know it can slow their gut if it piles up.

Maybe give Sylar a wee bit before you worry too much...although I know you are on alert for any changes. I would be too, but it's likely just the moult. :)

Sorry this will be a rushed reply. Dietary changes can effect moults. 'Spring Fever' can lead to a bit of 'stroppy' behaviour.

Fibre, fluids and de-fluffing will help him xx

I can appreciate your concern. I would not be too worried about the unwelcome behaviour at the moment and would focus entirely on making sure that he is getting loads of fibre and not ingesting too much fur. I think thumps mentioned something a little while ago about rabbits needing more nutrition when they are moulting, but I can't remember the detail. Who knows what it must feel like to be a rabbit and to be moulting, but it's possible that it can make them feel irritable. Spring Fever also does cause differences in behaviour. Mine are starting to repeatedly jump over each other and binky :lol:

I would continue with trying to get rid of as much fur as you can, even if he is not too keen on you doing so. I would also keep refreshing his hay and making sure that he's passing food through his system (I'm sure you're doing this anyway:))

I can appreciate your concern. I would not be too worried about the unwelcome behaviour at the moment and would focus entirely on making sure that he is getting loads of fibre and not ingesting too much fur. I think thumps mentioned something a little while ago about rabbits needing more nutrition when they are moulting, but I can't remember the detail. Who knows what it must feel like to be a rabbit and to be moulting, but it's possible that it can make them feel irritable. Spring Fever also does cause differences in behaviour. Mine are starting to repeatedly jump over each other and binky :lol:

I would continue with trying to get rid of as much fur as you can, even if he is not too keen on you doing so. I would also keep refreshing his hay and making sure that he's passing food through his system (I'm sure you're doing this anyway:))

I agree with Omi :)

Rabbits need up to 40% more nutrition to cope with their moult.

How is the forage going down - fresh or dried? (Are you still giving it?)

Ah cheers everyone. You've set my mind at rest a little. He's just being such a brat!!! I was sitting on the sofa last night when I started hearing this rhythmic banging. I went upstairs to find Sy standing in the middle of the room with carpet hanging out of his mouth. Carpet eating combined with all the fur that he must be ingesting is worrying me.

Yes, he's still getting dried forage and he's a great hay eater. He's also still doing really well with his greens at the moment. Should I give him more food maybe?

Ah cheers everyone. You've set my mind at rest a little. He's just being such a brat!!! I was sitting on the sofa last night when I started hearing this rhythmic banging. I went upstairs to find Sy standing in the middle of the room with carpet hanging out of his mouth. Carpet eating combined with all the fur that he must be ingesting is worrying me.

Yes, he's still getting dried forage and he's a great hay eater. He's also still doing really well with his greens at the moment. Should I give him more food maybe?

You're doing so well at the moment, I'd be tempted not to rock the boat at the moment :)

Oh dear...well carpet eating you don't really need. :? What's his fibre intake like, I mean...do you have an idea of how much he takes in each day?
He's likely doing what he can himself to help move things along in his gut if he's taking off much fur whilst grooming. Unfortunately we can't watch them 24/7 to be sure they don't swallow some and in my own experience it seems like just when I think I've gotten everything off that will come off, bunny winds up greeting me the next morning with a whole new section that's ready to go.

I agree with MightyMax though that if he's eating well atm, you don't really want to mess with that. But maybe find some way to keep him from eating your flooring. Is it somewhere he's used to being or did he get into a forbidden spot?

Oh dear...well carpet eating you don't really need. :? What's his fibre intake like, I mean...do you have an idea of how much he takes in each day?
He's likely doing what he can himself to help move things along in his gut if he's taking off much fur whilst grooming. Unfortunately we can't watch them 24/7 to be sure they don't swallow some and in my own experience it seems like just when I think I've gotten everything off that will come off, bunny winds up greeting me the next morning with a whole new section that's ready to go.

I agree with MightyMax though that if he's eating well atm, you don't really want to mess with that. But maybe find some way to keep him from eating your flooring. Is it somewhere he's used to being or did he get into a forbidden spot?

He was literally standing in the middle of the floor, pulling it up with his teeth, that's what caused the banging noise. He used to be a carpet eater but he went for corners so I've blocked them all off. We also used to have lino covering the carpet but we had to take it away when Hiro got poorly because he doesn't do so well on slippy flooring!
He eats lots of hay and dried forage though and fresh greens so hopefully that should keep everything moving. I forgot what a little brat he could be!!!

Back