• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poops!

Mileymoo

Young Bun
So Miley greeted me this morning with a selection of different poops. She's normally has good sized, equal poops but did the past couple of days there's been some smaller ones mixed in. Today I came down to these

IMG_1447.jpg

What do you think? This is the first time I've seen the bigger poops on the right. Normal poop is on the left, and small poop in the middle.

She's been going through a mild false pregnancy the past few days (she's being spayed in April) although she's been eating normally. Could this have something to do with it?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
So Miley greeted me this morning with a selection of different poops. She's normally has good sized, equal poops but did the past couple of days there's been some smaller ones mixed in. Today I came down to these

IMG_1447.jpg

What do you think? This is the first time I've seen the bigger poops on the right. Normal poop is on the left, and small poop in the middle.

She's been going through a mild false pregnancy the past few days (she's being spayed in April) although she's been eating normally. Could this have something to do with it?

Thanks for your help!

Her GI tract motility could be somewhat reduced. The pseudopregnancy may be playing a part (they are stressful) and she may also have ingested a fair amount of fur if she is nesting.

I'd try to maximise her hay and water intake. Offering her some fresh forage could be helpful. If she is accustomed to daily grazing on grass that will also be beneficial. Dont introduce too much grass if she is not used to it though. At this time of year the new growth grass is very rich and can cause bloat if a Rabbit gorges on it. Exercise will help promote good gut motility.

IMG_1447.jpg

Thanks for your help!

It may be that because of the false pregnancy, she's ingested more fur than normal, which has resulted in different sizes of poop. However, they are still of the golden variety, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Lots of fibre, and of course water which you give her anyway, will help. Hay will make them golden, whereas grass and readigrass will make them bigger but not necessarily golden.

If you try fresh grass, make sure you take the scraggy bits of old grass before - or as well as - the new grass. New grass is quite rich and encourages bloating.

Have you thought of foraging for free food?

Brambles, dandelions, nettles and other forage/free food is very easy for rabbits to eat and digest, and contain lots of fibre to keep the gut moving and the teeth well worn down. Some ideas here .....

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

There's a good diet recommendation here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

IMG_1447.jpg

Thanks for your help!

When I see a larger poop like the one in your photo, I break it apart to see if it contains fur or any foreign material (like carpet fibers).

When I see a larger poop like the one in your photo, I break it apart to see if it contains fur or any foreign material (like carpet fibers).

Yes, I do that when it is unusual for the specific Bun to pass an oval poo. With Lord H I have to consider his oval poos as 'normal' for him and his gut issues xx

Thanks for your help everyone!
It seems her false pregnancy is finally over!
Yesterday she passed a few large slightly squishy poops, and since then they've gone back to normal and she's happy and excited as ever! Yay!

Thanks for your help everyone!
It seems her false pregnancy is finally over!
Yesterday she passed a few large slightly squishy poops, and since then they've gone back to normal and she's happy and excited as ever! Yay!

Oooh you're welcome :D

Such good news!! YAY!

Yes, I do that when it is unusual for the specific Bun to pass an oval poo. With Lord H I have to consider his oval poos as 'normal' for him and his gut issues xx

You are right again Jane, so we have to consider what is normal for an individual bunny. As you know my Dash makes huge oval poos and that is normal for him.

Well guys, she's totally back to her normal fabulous (and cheeky) self!
This is the first time I've been really worried about her; it really goes to show just how much we love them when we think there's something wrong!

IMG_1456.jpg

I bought her another sea grass house today as she destroyed her old one, but she's decided she'd rather play with a toilet roll tube instead haha 😂

This is the first time I've been really worried about her; it really goes to show just how much we love them when we think there's something wrong!

IMG_1456.jpg

I bought her another sea grass house today as she destroyed her old one, but she's decided she'd rather play with a toilet roll tube instead haha ��

She sounds like the child who likes the box better than the toy! I am so glad she is back to being herself, It must be a great relief.
Jane suggested I let my bunnies have cereal boxes. My Raven likes when both ends of the cereal box are open and I make the cereal box like a tube. As a dwarf he can crawl through the box or chew it into confetti, or both.

IMG_1456.jpg

I bought her another sea grass house today as she destroyed her old one, but she's decided she'd rather play with a toilet roll tube instead haha 😂

A picture speaks a thousand words!!

Love to see this fabulous girlie being cheeky again. What a relief :)

Back