• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken bond

tall.mama

New Kit
Hi, looking for advice , got a bonded pair of rabbits at beginning of Feb from a rescue. They were fine until last week then they started fighting :cry: I separated them and let them out the next day but every time they get together its nose to nose and then it all kicks off, circling and chasing. I have been letting them out one by one but they keep going up to pen and trying to bite each other.

Are they both spayed/neutered? Are they both in good health? Sometimes if one is under the weather that can cause things to kick off. Have there been any changes in their environment, or any new pets? It could be spring fever kicking in.

They both seem to be in good health, they were neutered the week before I got them. One of the buns is very friendly and explores her surroundings whereas the other girl does not seem to like humans and just stays up one end of room and panics if you try to go near her. I have them in separate pens now and the scared one just stays in the cardboard box in her pen nearly all day and only comes out for food or to use litter tray.

They both seem to be in good health, they were neutered the week before I got them. One of the buns is very friendly and explores her surroundings whereas the other girl does not seem to like humans and just stays up one end of room and panics if you try to go near her. I have them in separate pens now and the scared one just stays in the cardboard box in her pen nearly all day and only comes out for food or to use litter tray.

As they are both Does and they have only very recently been spayed they will still be relatively hormonal. Add to that the time of year (Spring) then you have the 'perfect storm' for fighting to start.

Realistically I think you are going to need to keep them out of sight and smell of each other for several weeks. A D/D bond is almost always the most fragile and it does not take much to tip the balance.

Would the Rescue be able to assist you with rebonding the girls in a few weeks time ?

To be honest I am a bit disappointed with the rescue, I got in touch with them and they said they would come out and look at them in the home. We made an app , they never showed and have not answered my email. They suggested rebonding or swapping the pair for another, but I don't want to give them both back I have got very attached to the wee one. The other bun is also lovely but I have not been able to get near her :( I don't really have space to keep them out of reach of each other plus it won't be very nice for them to be by themselves for weeks.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed with the rescue, I got in touch with them and they said they would come out and look at them in the home. We made an app , they never showed and have not answered my email. They suggested rebonding or swapping the pair for another, but I don't want to give them both back I have got very attached to the wee one. The other bun is also lovely but I have not been able to get near her :( I don't really have space to keep them out of reach of each other plus it won't be very nice for them to be by themselves for weeks.

Oh dear, that does not seem to be too good. Are they contactable by telephone ?

Hi, looking for advice , got a bonded pair of rabbits at beginning of Feb from a rescue. They were fine until last week then they started fighting :cry: I separated them and let them out the next day but every time they get together its nose to nose and then it all kicks off, circling and chasing. I have been letting them out one by one but they keep going up to pen and trying to bite each other.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

What a shame this has happened. You could separate and try bonding again later, but I don't know whether you're able to do this accommodation wise?

Perhaps the rescue would take one of the buns back and rebond the remaining one with a neutered male for you? I know you've probably become attached, but you may have a bigger problem of injury on your hands if you keep them both and try and rebond.

Hi MightyMax , I have thought that bonding with a male might be better and was going to suggest that to rescue when they came out, only they didn't. I did not think handing them both back would be an answer because if they did not rebond they would not be together anyway. I am trying hard not to be emotional about just keeping one and think what's best for bun.

Hi MightyMax , I have thought that bonding with a male might be better and was going to suggest that to rescue when they came out, only they didn't. I did not think handing them both back would be an answer because if they did not rebond they would not be together anyway. I am trying hard not to be emotional about just keeping one and think what's best for bun.

It is very difficult not to become emotionally attached very quickly. You were not to know that it wouldn't work - and neither was the Rescue.

But as you say, they wouldn't be together if handed back to the rescue, and would probably be paired with males anyway - a much safer bonding. Is it something you feel you could consider?

Yes I think that it would be best if bonded with male. I will email the rescue and let them know that's what I would like to do and hope they will agree. Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Hi , unfortunately due to sudden downturn in my health , breathing problems, I have had to give up the bunnies :cry: I am very upset about it but did not really have a choice , I had to return the buns to the rescue. I shall miss having buns around I have had rabbits for a number of years, about 14 years, lovely pets , part of my family :love: Thanks to all the replies I had. Bye :wave:

Hi , unfortunately due to sudden downturn in my health , breathing problems, I have had to give up the bunnies :cry: I am very upset about it but did not really have a choice , I had to return the buns to the rescue. I shall miss having buns around I have had rabbits for a number of years, about 14 years, lovely pets , part of my family :love: Thanks to all the replies I had. Bye :wave:

Thank you for posting.

Sorry it didn't work out :wave:

Back