• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Errol 23/03/17

echolouise

Young Bun
I have already posted about the sad events of today but would just like to put down on paper (screen) the happier parts of errol' short time with us because they matter more to me than the end.

Errol (formerly Echo) was a half wildie born and raised in foster care. He spent 3 1/2 years with his sister Effie (drew) waiting on his forever home. We looked at the pair's online profile when they were less than a year old but decided we didn't want to risk bonding a trio with our existing bun and passed them by.
Fast forward to December last year and we had a very lonely bun looking for a buddy to bond with. When we came across the website and they were still there all that time later, we knew we could offer them the kind of home they needed and it was time to try having a trio.

Errol was so timid around humans and would only poke his head out when there was food on the go, he would wait until we had left his shed and closed the bottom half of the door before he would come out to collect it. He didn't like to be touched and that was ok with us, he was part wild after all. Recently he had begun to sit in a high point of his shed and watch us at meal times rather than hiding, so he was warming to us.

When it came to other rabbits though he was as laid back as they come. He quickly accepted earnest as his new companion and even though he wasn't the boss, he was the glue that held the three of them together. He didn't much care which of them he snuggled with as long as they were warm. He liked to dig tunnels in the straw to sleep in and looked like he had a straw blanket over him. We adapted the rabbit shed to make him more comfortable and filled it with a rediculous amount of straw filled boxes to emulate a burrow.

He didn't much care for the giant digging box we built for him in his run, it was much more fun to dig a tunnel under his shed via a small gap between the paving slabs. We had to invest in a humane rabbit trap to get him out and the shed inevitably sunk in one corner. We had to build a new shed door in the shape of a parallelogram in order to get it closed before nightfall.

He could clear a 4ft fence from standing and managed to get into the place we stored our power tools. We were convinced he had escaped and had our neighbours out helping with the search party for hours (not an easy task when you live in a place with wild rabbits roaming the hedgerows). In the end we found him hiding inside what used to be a toolbox before it had a hole chewed in it and all its contents kicked out. He was also responsible for 3 power tools having their cables chewed in half.

When the weather was good and he was allowed out of the run into the main garden he could run and jump for hours, long after his 2 buddies had grown tired. Getting him back in his run was definately a 2 person job and I ended up on my bum in a mucky puddle a good few times.

he may only have got to live in his forever home for 3 months before his illness but I think he was happy. There was never a dull moment since the day he arrived to us. He may not have been with us long but he made such a huge impression on us and was a truly special bunny who will be sorely missed.

I'm so sorry you lost Errol :cry: he sounds like he was a lovely rabbit and I'm sure he was very happy with you xx

It is so sad that Errol could not recover and that his time with you was so short. But it sounds as though he was a happy lad and an important member of your family.

RIP Errol xx

What a lovely little character.

I'm so sorry you only had him a short time (same thing happened to me 4 years ago after adopting a brother and sister) however he knew love and was clearly happy in that time.

RIP Errol.xxx

What a lovely right tribute to Errol.

He sounded like a real character.

I'm so sorry his time with you was too short.

Sleep well Errol xxx

I'm so very sorry Errol has left for the Bridge. :cry: He sounds to have had a wondrous time though while he was with you, and he was obviously loved beyond measure. ((((((Huge hugs)))))

“The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.”
― Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

Sweet dreams, Errol. xxxx

Errol sounds like he was a wonderful character. I'm glad he found his way to you in the end, even if he was with you all too brief a time.

Binky free, sweet boy. Noserubs to his bereaved companions. I hope time treats you gently in your grief. xxx

Errol sounds such a happy bun, he obviously loved his time with you. Binky and jump free at the bridge Errol xxx

Back