• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protexin Pro Fibre

Sandi-C

Young Bun
Apologies in advance if this has been covered before.

I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions lately, but I guess this is the place to do it :)
Does anyone have any feedback regarding Pro Fibre pellets?
My 10mth old has suffered regular GI Stasis and I've changed a lot in her diet and I read these were a good source of dietary fibre for rabbits with lots of recommendations on Amazon. I bought some and both rabbits LOVE them. Just wanted to ensure I wasn't giving her something bad that I didn't know about?

Also I was just reading through a previous post by Griffski - Intermittent Inappetence + Depression where it was mentioned Readi Grass was not such a great food?
My two get this every day, should I cut back giving it to the one prone to stasis?
I have cut out veg (makes her gassy) and all fruit.

This is my daily routine now:

Pre Breakfast - Scoop full of the Pro Fibre pellets (while I get their morning tray ready) + Vit C tablet.
Morning - Hay, mixed with Readi Grass and sprinkle dry herbs on top (handful) - apple leaves, Coneflower leaves, JR Farm packs.
Tea Time - Fresh Herbs given as treat when I get home, always Coriander or Parsley.
Bed Time - Restock Hay and give one more scoop of the Pro Fibre pellets.

Water - always as Echinaeca drops in it, to build her immune system.

They are both good eaters and enjoy their hay but mostly eat the herbs on top first of course.

I would like to give fresh veg and fruit, but the girl can't digest it very well and the boy gets sludge in his pee when he has greens.

I don't think either of them were started off in life on a good diet and so they struggle now with veg and fruit. They are both rescues so I have no idea what they had previously.

Many thanks.

bumping up for you, I've not used those pellets before so can't advise. I've been feeding Frosty with grass tastic, which is a grass chop made from fescue grass rather than alfalfa, but I've only had him 2 weeks so can't really comment long term. My last rabbit, Boots had a very sensitive tummy and would tummy press after fresh forage, he could cope with a bit of broccoli and carrot, so I can sympathise with you on that one.

I don't use Pro fibre pellets, so I'm sorry I have no experience to offer on that. I think it certainly is the case that what is OK for one rabbit, is not for another. Please don't sorry about asking lots of questions :)

Have you thought about trying to provide lots of fresh forage? There are a few foraging threads on here to help. I try to feed as natural a diet as possible for my three (very greedy) rabbits. They do have pellets, but they also have a lot of fresh wild food (grass, tree leaves, twigs and wildflower plants). They also eat a lot of hay.

bumping up for you, I've not used those pellets before so can't advise. I've been feeding Frosty with grass tastic, which is a grass chop made from fescue grass rather than alfalfa, but I've only had him 2 weeks so can't really comment long term. My last rabbit, Boots had a very sensitive tummy and would tummy press after fresh forage, he could cope with a bit of broccoli and carrot, so I can sympathise with you on that one.

Thank you Zoobec, I will look up Grass Tastic! I am learning so much on this forum, I have been reading through heaps of old posts also to try and educate myself more.

I don't use Pro fibre pellets, so I'm sorry I have no experience to offer on that. I think it certainly is the case that what is OK for one rabbit, is not for another. Please don't sorry about asking lots of questions :)

Have you thought about trying to provide lots of fresh forage? There are a few foraging threads on here to help. I try to feed as natural a diet as possible for my three (very greedy) rabbits. They do have pellets, but they also have a lot of fresh wild food (grass, tree leaves, twigs and wildflower plants). They also eat a lot of hay.

Hi Omi, yes I've tried fresh grass which they both turned their nose up at! I have a friend who sent me a parcel of apple twigs from her garden, and again they were less than interested! They liked dandelion leaves. For about a week. Spoilt much? Oh I did get a bag of apple leaves from Galens Garden which they do like, however it makes Scampy sneeze more. Her sneezing has improved and I have to say since starting the fibre pellets her poo has been improving greatly too. It seems to work for her. She cannot digest fruit or carrots at all. I learned that the hard way :shock:

Thank you Zoobec, I will look up Grass Tastic! I am learning so much on this forum, I have been reading through heaps of old posts also to try and educate myself more.
Grass tastic is only available in a large bag I think it's 12.5kg. I feed it to my bunny and my goats. If you wanted I can send you a bit for your bunnies to try if you pm me your address?

I used to give this to my bridge bun, Toffee. He had ongoing dental issues, and it was a bit of a nightmare getting fibre into him, as he had difficulty eating hay and grass. I was recommended one scoop per day, so used to split it, 1/2 scoop morning and evening on a few Burgess nuggets. It certainly helped Toffee, but it is only a dietary supplement, not a food substitute.

Grass tastic is only available in a large bag I think it's 12.5kg. I feed it to my bunny and my goats. If you wanted I can send you a bit for your bunnies to try if you pm me your address?

Hi Zoobec, apologies I haven't logged in for a few days so missed your kind offer! Thank you so much. I have actually gone ahead under your recommendation and ordered the Grass Tastic !! I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again :wave:

I used to give this to my bridge bun, Toffee. He had ongoing dental issues, and it was a bit of a nightmare getting fibre into him, as he had difficulty eating hay and grass. I was recommended one scoop per day, so used to split it, 1/2 scoop morning and evening on a few Burgess nuggets. It certainly helped Toffee, but it is only a dietary supplement, not a food substitute.
Hi Pets Mum, yes I give it as a supplement, just a scoop each and they enjoy it. As you say I don't want them eating only this and forgetting their hay! I honestly think it's helped my stasis girly so much, her poops are improving on this I have to say. :shock:

Hi Zoobec, apologies I haven't logged in for a few days so missed your kind offer! Thank you so much. I have actually gone ahead under your recommendation and ordered the Grass Tastic !! I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again :wave:
That's ok, I hope they like it:thumb:

Back