• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding the big buns

Limit

Warren Scout
So bonding is now back in action as Monte's leg seems to be much better and their first encounters have not been that successful, to the point where I thought I might have to contact the RSPCA for them to take him back and for us to find another male for her :( However, these bad encounters were partly my fault as I had a space set up outside, this was the problem as both are territorial (especially binky :roll: ) and both know the garden.

This time their date was set up in the bathroom, slippy floor with a towel on one area and hay/veggies scattered everywhere. It went better than expected, I was holding my breath the whole time just waiting for Binky to lunge but she didn't. Monte is proving more dominant, surprisingly, he has humped her a few times and then flopped beside her to snuggle. He has groomed her for 5 seconds - it still counts! All went well for this date, but I am very worried for when the time comes to give them a date in the garden again. :? Fingers crossed for their next date, which will be today now (I swear I'm nocturnal, it's 3 am:oops: )

Here's a few pictures of their first suitable date :)

Thank you all, date 2 is in progress and all is suspiciously cuddly... a lot of flopping and grooming themselves.

Ran into a small problem, any and I mean any increase of space and these two seem to separate and become territorial - they're now limited to the bathroom and landing so that Monte can still move without the slippery floor. There's not been any locking together, they still flop and groom themselves, eat, drink all that but they both are very quick to give a nip when one moves too close.

I cannot say how stressful it is seeing two big bunnies 'lunging'. :( Monte can have the habit of lunging straight across the bathroom if she moves at all (hasn't done it since the first time) and I am terrified of this bond going bad. Any advice?

OMG what beautiful buns you have. I really feel for you, bonding buns has me a nervous wreck. Just take things really slow, you sound like you are doing great. Is it a french lop and conti you have. xx

OMG what beautiful buns you have. I really feel for you, bonding buns has me a nervous wreck. Just take things really slow, you sound like you are doing great. Is it a french lop and conti you have. xx

Aw thank you and yes, I'm such a nervous wreck! Yes we believe she's a French lop x dwarf lop as she has the weight on her side and Monte is a conti :) xx

Ouchhh following up my last post with curse words. So these guys do not and will not get on in the run outside - could be because they both know the garden. It lasted about 20 mins before a serious fight broke out, however neither rabbits were hurt instead I got bit straight on the arm by montes massive teeth! It went bright purple and it's still (after more than 24 hours) bright red! I was wearing a jumper and a thick coat too, but he still went straight through to my skin.

It was my fault, I should not have got my arm near, though I did use a dustpan to split it up... still unsure how he got my arm but boy did I want to scream.

They were split up 2 minutes after as they had calmed down and were munching on grass on opposite sides. I wanted to end it on a good note.

There dates are now in the bathroom and kitchen where they're going great, with no arguments between either of them. :) No idea what is causing the scraps outside but whatever is they can't seem to get over it.

Back