• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sheltered Bunny accommodation

piggie

New Kit
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & new to keeping bunnies.

We desperately need some advice about housing. We have been building a run system in order to adopt some rabbits from a well respected bunny rehoming organisation, and have hit a problem.

Our set up is (and please read all the detail before shouting No at me!) a coop to provide a safe sleeping area (5 ft by 2 ft) attached by a small section of rabbit runaround pipe to an 8 ft by 2 ft by 2ft covered run to provide their 24/7 sheltered living accommodation. This is attached to a 9 ft by 4 ft by 5 ft run that can be shut off at night if needed using the rabbit runaround sliding doors. The coop is not ideal, but it was all we could source as we live in the highlands and most companies won't deliver or want to charge a hefty surcharge for delivery (even though they advertise free UK delivery). The coop has a cover over it, and plenty of straw and fleece blankets insulating it, as well as heat pads available. The sleeping area is roomy and snug. We have a larger coop for hens, so I am used to cleaning the things out. I thought this set-up was more than the rehoming organisation required.

They have come back to me and told me rather tersely that our accommodation isn't up to scratch, and that we can't being the adoption process with them until we replace the coop with a 6ft by 2ft hutch, and that our covered run is too small. Apparently it needs to be 6 feet by 4 feet. They make no mention of the 9 feet by 4 feet run.

I've had our local SSPCA have a look, and they can't see what the problem is, as the rehoming group ask for 6 ft by 2ft sheltered accommodation with a 8 feet by 4 feet run and we have provided a total of 13 ft by 2 ft sheltered accommodation with a 9 feet by 4 feet run.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me, that might help me persuade the rehoming people to look at us again? I have emailed them, but they are obviously really busy and can take 3 weeks to reply to anything.

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & new to keeping bunnies.

We desperately need some advice about housing. We have been building a run system in order to adopt some rabbits from a well respected bunny rehoming organisation, and have hit a problem.

Our set up is (and please read all the detail before shouting No at me!) a coop to provide a safe sleeping area (5 ft by 2 ft) attached by a small section of rabbit runaround pipe to an 8 ft by 2 ft by 2ft covered run to provide their 24/7 sheltered living accommodation. This is attached to a 9 ft by 4 ft by 5 ft run that can be shut off at night if needed using the rabbit runaround sliding doors. The coop is not ideal, but it was all we could source as we live in the highlands and most companies won't deliver or want to charge a hefty surcharge for delivery (even though they advertise free UK delivery). The coop has a cover over it, and plenty of straw and fleece blankets insulating it, as well as heat pads available. The sleeping area is roomy and snug. We have a larger coop for hens, so I am used to cleaning the things out. I thought this set-up was more than the rehoming organisation required.

They have come back to me and told me rather tersely that our accommodation isn't up to scratch, and that we can't being the adoption process with them until we replace the coop with a 6ft by 2ft hutch, and that our covered run is too small. Apparently it needs to be 6 feet by 4 feet. They make no mention of the 9 feet by 4 feet run.

I've had our local SSPCA have a look, and they can't see what the problem is, as the rehoming group ask for 6 ft by 2ft sheltered accommodation with a 8 feet by 4 feet run and we have provided a total of 13 ft by 2 ft sheltered accommodation with a 9 feet by 4 feet run.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me, that might help me persuade the rehoming people to look at us again? I have emailed them, but they are obviously really busy and can take 3 weeks to reply to anything.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum piggie :wave:

Sorry you've hit a snag .... have the SSPCA any rabbits you can adopt, as they are happy with your accommodation?

I would look elsewhere to rehome rabbits, even if it involves a bit of travelling. If that's acceptable to you?

Thank you for the welcome.

Actually, SSPCA have said that they'll let us know if any come in. Just not as many buns up here as down south.

I have a photo of the unfinished setup, but I can't find a way of attaching it. My permissions won't allow me.

Thank you for the welcome.

Actually, SSPCA have said that they'll let us know if any come in. Just not as many buns up here as down south.

You sound like you've done your best, your research and preparation. Different rescues have different criteria.

I should visit another rescue, explain how devoted and passionate you are to having rabbits, and see where you get

Good luck :D

Can you convert the 8x2 run into a 'hutch' by putting tongue & groove cladding (from any DIY store / builders merchant / wood yard) on all the sides to encase it? If it is a wooden frame, it should be fairly straightforward to nail or screw it on the outside - maybe with a bed area enclosed with exterior ply or T&G for the 'wall' / door and floor on battens so it is just clear of the ground (so warmer and drier). If that has access to the 9x4, it should meet the requirements. Otherwise, I would reiterate the full set up to the original rescue and maybe ask for specific suggestions from them. Have a look at the RWAF recommendations on space. There is also a housing thread on here with lots of ideas.

Photos would be useful. It sounds like you have provided enough space - probably more than the minimum requirement and certainly more than most bunnies have.

Hi and welcome to RU :wave: as others have said, try the Spcsa, they get bunnies in all the time, and they aren't always on the website. I appreciate the difficulty, and costs, in getting stuff delivered, I live in the Highlands too :wave: :D I really hope you manage to adopt some buns, it sounds like you have put a lot of effort, and thought into preparing for them.

I work it out to 55sqft total which might be where the issue is as the RWAF recommends 60sqft at all times.

It sounds fine to me, I'd happily allow buns to live in that set up with full access to all parts at all times, but this might explain the issue they are having with the whole 5sqft missing [emoji38]

I'd go for the SSPCA and have a look at any other rabbit rescues around.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I work it out to 55sqft total which might be where the issue is as the RWAF recommends 60sqft at all times.

It sounds fine to me, I'd happily allow buns to live in that set up with full access to all parts at all times, but this might explain the issue they are having with the whole 5sqft missing [emoji38]

I'd go for the SSPCA and have a look at any other rabbit rescues around.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've worked it out as 62sqft, I know rescues and people aren't keen on coops for rabbits so that might be the issue.

Can you convert the 8x2 run into a 'hutch' by putting tongue & groove cladding (from any DIY store / builders merchant / wood yard) on all the sides to encase it? If it is a wooden frame, it should be fairly straightforward to nail or screw it on the outside - maybe with a bed area enclosed with exterior ply or T&G for the 'wall' / door and floor on battens so it is just clear of the ground (so warmer and drier). If that has access to the 9x4, it should meet the requirements. Otherwise, I would reiterate the full set up to the original rescue and maybe ask for specific suggestions from them. Have a look at the RWAF recommendations on space. There is also a housing thread on here with lots of ideas.

Photos would be useful. It sounds like you have provided enough space - probably more than the minimum requirement and certainly more than most bunnies have.

OMG. I never thought of doing that. Me and my hubby are fairly rubbish at DIY. Going to look at doing that.

Hi and welcome to RU :wave: as others have said, try the Spcsa, they get bunnies in all the time, and they aren't always on the website. I appreciate the difficulty, and costs, in getting stuff delivered, I live in the Highlands too :wave: :D I really hope you manage to adopt some buns, it sounds like you have put a lot of effort, and thought into preparing for them.

Thank you, and hello back :wave:

Maths:
5x2 coop = 10 ft2
8x2 covered run = 16 ft2
9x4 run = 36 ft2

Total = 62 ft2 - plus tunnels, upper level in coop, etc.

Wow, thank you for all the replies. This looks like a really friendly, welcoming site. I hadn't thought of working out the square feet. I make it 26 square feet sheltered and 36 square feet un-sheltered, giving a total of 62 square feet. I think their issue was the coop, and I can understand that if it was their sole accommodation.

However, events have overtaken us...

WE HAVE BUNNIES!!!!!

SSPCA rang up yesterday afternoon, so I picked the kids up, went in to town, and came home with two beautiful girls. All happened rather fast, and we've a bit freaked out!

They are 8 months old, and 'larger' ladies. The SSPCA rang us up as they knew we had the space for two larger, active bunnies. I think we'll try and make improvements to our set-up gradually, and let them lead us with what they need. It's going to be a steep learning curve.

After one night, we have loads of rabbit care questions, but unfortunately I work today, so I'll have to wait until lunch time to get some queries on here.

We're so excited and pleased. It's been such a long wait!

Sounds like you have a great set up and have put a lot of effort in. There are so many rescue buns that would love to have you adopt them. I had a coop and run set up initially which was great for my buns and was much more spacious than a hutch. I think they are being over cautious and I'd email them again. But try other places, are there not any further afield you could get to?
Good luck ������

Back